Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-08-03, 02:02 PM   #25
puterguy

Not sure why you say setting refresh higher than 60Hz is "unwise". From your post, I can understand that it might be unnecessary for most tasks, but what could be "unwise" about it? 60Hz itself is an artificial number tied to AC current and ultimately back to the way the Babylonians constructed their units of time and geometry.

From my understanding of physiology, people can detect frequencies higher than 60Hz in their peripheral vision so that the difference between 60 and 75Hz frame rates could make some difference under some scene conditions.

The bottom line is that both the nVidia card and the LCD monitor I bought claim to support 75Hz rates. I am just trying to get those specs to work.

Your idea of checking under windoze is interesting, though (fortunately) I rarely if ever need to reboot my Linux computer and haven't used Windoze on it in almost 6 months. Maybe someone else can test whether Windoze is delivering a 75Hz frame rate.
Intel P4 2.8GHz
1.5GB PC2700 DDR Kingston
Leadtek Ultra A250 GF4 4600 128MB with VIVO/TVO
WinFast TV2000XP Deluxe
Dell 1901FP 19" LCD
Antec 400W Power Supply
puterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-03, 02:08 PM   #26
Soul-Crusher
Leadtek 6800GT

Send a message via ICQ to Soul-Crusher Send a message via AIM to Soul-Crusher Send a message via Yahoo to Soul-Crusher

For anyone else interested in the original thread, it's here.
Old 10-08-03, 02:12 PM   #27
puterguy

Soul-crusher:
> Gee I'd love to read your well documented "bug" report, but your second
> link is ALSO BROKEN

If you noticed, I broke the link onto two lines, because when I copied it before onto a single line, it appears that the link got abbreviated (You do know how to cut-and-paste right

If that doesn't work, I suggest you search for "interleaved and jaggies"...
Intel P4 2.8GHz
WinFast TV2000XP Deluxe
Dell 1901FP 19" LCD
Antec 400W Power Supply
Old 10-08-03, 02:13 PM   #28
Soul-Crusher
Leadtek 6800GT

Send a message via ICQ to Soul-Crusher Send a message via AIM to Soul-Crusher Send a message via Yahoo to Soul-Crusher

Quote:
Originally posted by puterguy
We are *way* beyond the stage of this being due to trivial configuration issues such as ultra-DMA or XF86Config file issues. Your naivete here is hilarious -- the troubleshooting we have collectively done makes your suggestions ridiculous.
Funny, after I fixed your link, i entered 'dma' in my browser's find field and searched all three pages. Never matched the whole word. Did you even consider something as simple as ultra DMA mode to be your problem?
Old 10-08-03, 02:15 PM   #29
Soul-Crusher
Leadtek 6800GT

Quote:
Soul-crusher:
> Gee I'd love to read your well documented "bug" report, but your second
> link is ALSO BROKEN

If you noticed, I broke the link onto two lines, because when I copied it before onto a single line, it appears that the link got abbreviated (You do know how to cut-and-paste right

If that doesn't work, I suggest you search for "interleaved and jaggies"...
Looks more like you miscopied the link. You have this:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.phps=
79d2c54809c7744436eda7c45c364e34&threadid=6177

when it should be this:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=
%2079d2c54809c7744436eda7c45c364e34&threadid=6177

Fortunately, it's just a minor issue so I didn't have to send multiple e-mails to Andy about it.
Old 10-08-03, 04:48 PM   #30
pe1chl

Quote:
Not sure why you say setting refresh higher than 60Hz is "unwise". From your post, I can understand that it might be unnecessary for most tasks, but what could be "unwise" about it?
It causes all frequencies on the DVI interface to increase, possibly beyond the quite limited spec, and this can cause problems.

Quote:

From my understanding of physiology, people can detect frequencies higher than 60Hz in their peripheral vision so that the difference between 60 and 75Hz frame rates could make some difference under some scene conditions.
This is true in the context of refresh rate as seen on CRT displays, where the picture actually flickers with the refresh frequency. But LCDs do not do that.

Quote:
The bottom line is that both the nVidia card and the LCD monitor I bought claim to support 75Hz rates. I am just trying to get those specs to work.

Your idea of checking under windoze is interesting, though (fortunately) I rarely if ever need to reboot my Linux computer and haven't used Windoze on it in almost 6 months. Maybe someone else can test whether Windoze is delivering a 75Hz frame rate.
First make sure that the LCD really can run at 75Hz with the resolution that you have planned. Specs are often optimistic and not referring to the case that you are considering.
I don't know the panel that you have bought, but I can assure you that the Dell systems we use at work, running under Windows, which offer a selection of refreshrates when a CRT is connected, only allow 60Hz when an LCD is attached. This is true for both 15" and 17" LCDs of several different generations.
Apparently the device spec files of the LCD displays only allow 60Hz. And these screens don't flicker.
pe1chl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-03, 07:28 PM   #31
dpw2atox

ive used nvidia videocard for the past few years with linux and had nothing but good results. Though lately there has been some problems with nvidia and IQ in their drivers and such I will remain a Nvidia user because of their linux drivers. I'd just like to see another new release soon.
dpw2atox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-03, 07:58 PM   #32
puterguy

Soul-crusher,
Sorry to burst your bubble -- but apparantly you don't know how to copy. My link is correct. The "%20" difference is just encoding for a 'space' which does indeed appear at the end of the first line of my link. But of course since you are such a computer expert, you already know that. The html textbox apparantly broke the line there (since spaces are typically where line breaks are put in), but the space is still there.
Intel P4 2.8GHz
WinFast TV2000XP Deluxe
Dell 1901FP 19" LCD
Antec 400W Power Supply

Old 10-08-03, 08:03 PM   #33
puterguy

pe1chl: You may be correct that there is little need for 75Hz vs. 60Hz on an LCD monitor.

At the same time, I paid extra for a high-end 17" DVI LCD and for a top-of-the-line nVidia card so that I could get something capable of delivering against the specs.

I don't think the monitor is the issue here, since 75Hz only doesn't work under certain video playback conditions that have more to do with the driver mode than with the LCD fundamentals (please see the original thread for more details on why problem seems to be narrowed down to issues with the hardware scaler on the nVidia card).

It still remains an interesting experiment to confirm if Windows has issues with movies with LCD at 75Hz vertical refresh.
Intel P4 2.8GHz
WinFast TV2000XP Deluxe
Dell 1901FP 19" LCD
Antec 400W Power Supply
Old 10-08-03, 10:42 PM   #34
Soul-Crusher
Leadtek 6800GT

Quote:
Soul-crusher,
Sorry to burst your bubble -- but apparantly you don't know how to copy. My link is correct.
Have you even clicked your own link? Mine works in Opera and Konquerer on both Gentoo and Redhat. Yours works in neither.

Oh, but of course actually *testing* your own link is probably above you since you're so l33t huh? Maybe I should send the vB guys 20 "bug" reports and give them an meaningless grade.

Quote:
The html textbox apparantly broke the line there (since spaces are typically where line breaks are put in), but the space is still there.
Your link is broken.

No wonder you are having problems with nVidia drivers. I'm not even going to try to help you anymore, and would be willing to bet that you still haven't turned UDMA on.

I honestly hope a mod sees this thread and deletes it. What a waste of time, I'm on to helping people with *real* problems.
Old 10-08-03, 11:08 PM   #35
puterguy

Soul-Crusher -- what a pathetic loser!!!
I laugh so hard every time I read your posts. Please don't leave. You are really making this thread so much fun. I haven't had so much fun on this list in a long, long time.

"I'm on to helping people with *real* problems." LMFAO-ROTFL

Perhaps you could be as helpful to them as you have been on this thread.
Maybe you can go ask them to turn on UDMA too... or perhaps you could get hung-up on not being able to follow a URL split onto two lines. Maybe you could even solve their problem by denying they exist and instead bragging about you have never had any problems with nVidia.

Please, please don't leave... your humor is irreplaceable.
Intel P4 2.8GHz
WinFast TV2000XP Deluxe
Dell 1901FP 19" LCD
Antec 400W Power Supply
Old 10-09-03, 03:25 AM   #36
JBC

Default May be the monitor

I just checked and found that this monitors response time is only 40 ms which is pretty slow by todays standards. Anything above 20 ms is not reccommended for fast paced action. Monitors today can achieve below 20 ms and are finally capable of fast action sequences. Check and see if they're worse during very rapid movement.

Just a thought!

JBC
JBC is offline   Reply With Quote