Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-01-10, 03:29 PM   #1
wd5gnr

Default 256-series drivers won't install on Kubuntu with 2.6.32-24 kerenel (AMD64)

I have been using 64 bit Kubuntu with the NVIDIA proprietary drivers for a long time. And, yeah, I figured out how to nuke all the Kubuntu nv and related stuff, so I've never had a problem.

A few days ago they pushed 2.6.32-24 kernel. Mysteriously, the NVIDIA 256-series driver kept working. I say mysteriously because today I tried to update to 256.53. The installer dumped out a log with a bunch of conftest errors (I can provide them on request although I think they are a symptom not a problem). Tried to recompile the old driver but had the same problem.

Reverted back to 2.6.32-23 and could compile both drivers with no problem. Yes, the Linux source tree was there for the new kernel.

Any ideas? Its working ok now with the 256.53 and 2.6.32.23 kernel but until I resolve this I'm frozen on kernel updates.

Last edited by wd5gnr; 09-01-10 at 03:46 PM. Reason: typo fix
wd5gnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-10, 12:37 AM   #2
NvFuchs
Registered Fox

Default Re: 256-series drivers won't install on Kubuntu with 2.6.32-24 kerenel (AMD64)

Hello,

Please read the sticky regarding how to report problems and provide a nvidia-bug-report file as described there. (Of course only when the problem occured, therefore you have to boot the newer kernel. As you can have multiple kernels installed and choose in grub which one to boot, this should not be an issue)

Even though manual driver installations in Ubuntu are not what I recommend and probably the problems are related to this, I am not aware of any problems with this combination and I never heard of it in the ubuntu support forum I am supporting in.

Fuchs
NvFuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-10, 10:58 AM   #3
wd5gnr

Default Re: 256-series drivers won't install on Kubuntu with 2.6.32-24 kerenel (AMD64)

I'll try doing that over the weekend. What I did for now -- and yes, I know the risks of doing so -- was to temporarily rename /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.32-24 out of the way and then made a symlink so that 2.6.32-23 stood in for it. Works fine. So there is definitely some difference between the headers that is causing several of the conftest.sh tests to fail.

It is odd that no one else is reporting this, yet the fact that I can install on an older kernel makes me think it is NOT related to my specific setup.
wd5gnr is offline   Reply With Quote