Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-07-10, 05:49 PM   #73
tornadog
Keeper of the Faith

Default Re: Duke Nukem Forever at PAX West 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRedPonyCar View Post
I'm expecting it to be something I enjoy playing through once but never touch it again.
isnt that true about every game these days...
Old 09-07-10, 06:24 PM   #74
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornadog View Post
Not really. I've gotten some serious mileage out of Metro 2033, L4D, The Witcher, Borderlands.

I know a lot of it is just personal taste, with DNF though, just tired of hearing about it, so I'm probably a little jaded at this point.
Old 09-07-10, 06:55 PM   #75
Mike89
Dude, where's my brain?

Some people here cuming in their pants over this as yet unreleased game must be f-ing teenagers (or younger).

Judging from all I've seen of this game so far (unless this new company makes it again from scratch) it's going to be crap if it ever gets here (and I'll believe it's here when it actually is). This is going to be a kids game (I mean 14 and under, that is where the appeal is going to be). To a serious gamer, this game is going to be nothing but a letdown. Old Duke was never all that to begin with (contrary to the old memories some have which can be so distorted) and it's been built up so much it's never going to live up. No way. Down with the Duke!
I7 3770 @ 4.4 gig (Noctua NH-U14S Heatsink), ASRock Z77 Extreme6, 16 Gigs (2x8) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX 680 Signature 2, Acer P236H 23" (1920x1080), X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Pro, 2 WD 640 gig SATA HDDs, WD 750 gig HDD (eSata), WD 1TB Black HDD, Sandisk 32 GB ReadyCache SSD, 2 SATA DVD Burners, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speaker System, Corsair TX750w PSU, HSPC Top Deck Tech Station, Windows 7 Pro x64
Mike89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-10, 07:13 PM   #76
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike89 View Post
Some people here cuming in their pants over this as yet unreleased game must be f-ing teenagers (or younger).

Judging from all I've seen of this game so far (unless this new company makes it again from scratch) it's going to be crap if it ever gets here (and I'll believe it's here when it actually is). This is going to be a kids game (I mean 14 and under, that is where the appeal is going to be). To a serious gamer, this game is going to be nothing but a letdown. Old Duke was never all that to begin with (contrary to the old memories some have which can be so distorted) and it's been built up so much it's never going to live up. No way. Down with the Duke!
Sadly, I agree with this. Don't think I'll buy it till I've read some reviews. Not professional reviews- reviews from people that are familiar with the original games and played this one.

Wouldn't be surprised if I wound up not purchasing it... ever. It'll be very PC, very watered- down, and very much nothing like the original.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-10, 09:25 PM   #77
FastRedPonyCar
Resident Tire Destroyer

Send a message via AIM to FastRedPonyCar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornadog View Post
Not really. When gran tourismo 5 comes out, all other functions will cease.

Same with Diablo III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Sadly, I agree with this. Don't think I'll buy it till I've read some reviews. Not professional reviews- reviews from people that are familiar with the original games and played this one.

Wouldn't be surprised if I wound up not purchasing it... ever. It'll be very PC, very watered- down, and very much nothing like the original.

Actually from what I read in one of those articles, they're pushing the envelop as far as what the censors will allow. Specifically saying they have to retain the edgy nature that made the original Duke 3D so awesome.

I'm expecting over the top gore and probably plenty of boobs. Given how much gore and nudity the god of war games got away with, I don't see why they can't put whatever they want in Duke as long as it gets (and it will) the M rating.
4770k @ 4.45 ghz - ASUS Gryphon Mobo - 16 gigs Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 RAM - XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 H2o Cooling - EVGA GTX 680 @1325mhz - 128 gig Crucial RealSSD C300 - 150 gig Velociraptor +2.75 Terrabytes of WD Sata 3.0 storage - 910 watt PC P&C PSU - Corsair Obsidian 650D case

- Server -
Core I7 D0 revision 920 @ 3.75 ghz - ASUS P6T Deluxe - 12 Gigs Mushkin DDR3 1600 - Corsair HX 620 PSU - Noctua NH-U9B cooler - Coolermaster WaveMaster Case

- Laptop -
MSI 16F2-012
- i7 2630QM - GTX570m @ 750Mhz - 8 gigs HyperX 1866 - 120 gig OCZ Vertex 3 SSD- 750 gig Scorpio Black - BluRay - 95% Gamut Screen - IC Diamond goop
FastRedPonyCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-10, 10:12 PM   #78
jcrox
Mahna Mahna

Well, back when we all had nvidia 4400's and 4600's and we joked that the game wouldn't be released until we had 9900's and DX14... we weren't too far off LOL.

Quick.... start posting lottery numbers!!!

Gaming

MSI MPower Z87 | 4770k | CNPS9900MAX-B | 8GB G.Skill 1866 | EVGA GTX760 |ThermalTake 850w | X-Fi Titanium | HAF | Asus PA248Q | Lycosa | Death Adder | Win8 Pro 64

Dev/Backup

MSI GD65 | 2500k | H50 | 8GB G.skill | GTX570 | Ubuntu 13.10

Laptop

17" Inspiron | i5 | 4GB DDR3 | 500GB HDD | Win7 Pro 64

jcrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-10, 10:26 PM   #79
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrox View Post
Well, back when we all had nvidia 4400's and 4600's and we joked that the game wouldn't be released until we had 9900's and DX14... we weren't too far off LOL.

Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-10, 04:27 AM   #80
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrox View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRedPonyCar View Post
Actually from what I read in one of those articles, they're pushing the envelop as far as what the censors will allow.....
I'm sure you're right, I just hope they don't sacrifice game play for ...uh...'eye-candy' lol. We do have plenty of impressionable youngsters like Redeemed and crainger playing these...

Old 09-08-10, 04:50 AM   #81
General Lee

There's no way this game could ever live up to the hype it's been given. Still, I hope they give us a good game, with a few good laughs.
Old 09-08-10, 10:07 AM   #82
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Calling it now - gameplay will be standard FPS with superfluous interactive objects, presentation will be very heavy fan service, and most of us will realize that the Duke character was really not all that cool to begin with (he's just a mixture of action movie cliches and Evil Dead one-liners).

As a far less jaded teenager Duke Nukem 3D was an impressive game to me not only because of the "adult" themes, but also because of the game technology. Whoever it was that said Duke 3D wasn't anything special when it was released must have recently undergone a lobotomy. The Build engine was the most advanced "2.5d" engine around. The character of Duke was amusing because, at the time, I didn't get all the references, and that sort of cheesy not-taking-itself-seriously tone really gave the game a great atmosphere. Still, the game was essentially just a standard early first-person shooter with fun weapons and lots of buttons to push.

The years of hype for DN:F have created a Duke cult of personality. I wonder if this has ever happened before for a fictional character? Anyway, the excitement for the game has always boggled my mind. I was never under the delusion that anything this game offers could meet the expectations people now have, but I have to admit being automatically drawn to any news about it. Years of fake trailers, rumors, more fake trailers, then some real stuff, etc. really elevated the character to this legendary status. What claim to fame does he really have? The only thing worth mentioning in the Duke franchise is Duke 3D. Duke 1&2 were standard platform shooters, and the shovelware crap they released on consoles over the years doesn't even merit consideration.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-10, 11:05 AM   #83
zoomy942

Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942

all this duke talk makes me miss the 2d side scroller duke games. i looked online but i couldnt come across any flash versions of it.
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-10, 11:35 AM   #84
DiscipleDOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomy942 View Post
all this duke talk makes me miss the 2d side scroller duke games. i looked online but i couldnt come across any flash versions of it.
I just purchased it for my iphone!
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote