DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-10, 12:32 PM   #87
FastRedPonyCar
Resident Tire Destroyer

Send a message via AIM to FastRedPonyCar
Default Re: Duke Nukem Forever at PAX West 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaman09 View Post
Calling it now - gameplay will be standard FPS with superfluous interactive objects, presentation will be very heavy fan service, and most of us will realize that the Duke character was really not all that cool to begin with (he's just a mixture of action movie cliches and Evil Dead one-liners).

As a far less jaded teenager Duke Nukem 3D was an impressive game to me not only because of the "adult" themes, but also because of the game technology. Whoever it was that said Duke 3D wasn't anything special when it was released must have recently undergone a lobotomy. The Build engine was the most advanced "2.5d" engine around. The character of Duke was amusing because, at the time, I didn't get all the references, and that sort of cheesy not-taking-itself-seriously tone really gave the game a great atmosphere. Still, the game was essentially just a standard early first-person shooter with fun weapons and lots of buttons to push.

The years of hype for DN:F have created a Duke cult of personality. I wonder if this has ever happened before for a fictional character? Anyway, the excitement for the game has always boggled my mind. I was never under the delusion that anything this game offers could meet the expectations people now have, but I have to admit being automatically drawn to any news about it. Years of fake trailers, rumors, more fake trailers, then some real stuff, etc. really elevated the character to this legendary status. What claim to fame does he really have? The only thing worth mentioning in the Duke franchise is Duke 3D. Duke 1&2 were standard platform shooters, and the shovelware crap they released on consoles over the years doesn't even merit consideration.

Duke Nukem is the greatest game ever yet and doesn't afraid of anyone!!
4770k @ 4.45 ghz - ASUS Gryphon Mobo - 16 gigs Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 RAM - XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 H2o Cooling - EVGA GTX 680 @1325mhz - 128 gig Crucial RealSSD C300 - 150 gig Velociraptor +2.75 Terrabytes of WD Sata 3.0 storage - 910 watt PC P&C PSU - Corsair Obsidian 650D case

- Server -
Core I7 D0 revision 920 @ 3.75 ghz - ASUS P6T Deluxe - 12 Gigs Mushkin DDR3 1600 - Corsair HX 620 PSU - Noctua NH-U9B cooler - Coolermaster WaveMaster Case

- Laptop -
MSI 16F2-012
- i7 2630QM - GTX570m @ 750Mhz - 8 gigs HyperX 1866 - 120 gig OCZ Vertex 3 SSD- 750 gig Scorpio Black - BluRay - 95% Gamut Screen - IC Diamond goop
FastRedPonyCar is offline   Reply With Quote