Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > General Software

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-04-10, 11:41 PM   #1
Redeemed

Default Technet Distributor's license...?

Hey ya'll, I was wondering if I could get a distributor's license, or something like it, that'd allow me to sell copies of my technet software. For example...

Build a computer and use a copy of Windows from my technet subscription, etc. Offer bundle deals where I throw Office and other such stuff on. Is this possible? Do I have to upgrade my Technet account? What do I need to do in order to be able to do this?

Reason I ask is, this is a longterm goal, but I'd like to start up a small computer repair shop, where I'd also sell computers. Instead of buying an OEM copy for each computer, I'd like to use my Technet copies since I have so gosh-darn many of 'em. Is this even possible?

Thanks ya'll!
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-10, 12:06 AM   #2
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger
Default Re: Technet Distributor's license...?

What you want is an OEM license thingy. You can sell MS stuff pre installed with systems. You can re sell Technet subscriptions in some cases, with what you are proposing, not sure if MS would allow it. It's more for countries where MS doesn't have an established online presence.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-10, 12:10 AM   #3
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
What you want is an OEM license thingy. You can sell MS stuff pre installed with systems. You can re sell Technet subscriptions in some cases, with what you are proposing, not sure if MS would allow it. It's more for countries where MS doesn't have an established online presence.
I'm not too sure that I follow you... more of an online presence? They're based here in America, their online presence is quite healthy- does this mean I cannot build computers to sell and use my technet copies of Windows/office/etc? Or, where can I go to find out?
Old 09-05-10, 02:00 AM   #4
crainger

No, you cannot do that. What I meant was they mightn't be keen to have a small business reselling TechNets to the general public. You can resell TechNet, but you need to be a MS partner like these guys. http://pinpoint.microsoft.com/en-US/...&catid=&fst=0#

But you cannot put your TechNet copies onto a customers PC and sell them TechNet. It not quite how it works. You'd technically be making money from a subscription meant to testing only.

You need an OEM PC builder licenses. Like what Dell etc use to sell software with their PCs.
Old 09-05-10, 12:33 PM   #5
Redeemed

Quote:
No, you cannot do that. What I meant was they mightn't be keen to have a small business reselling TechNets to the general public. You can resell TechNet, but you need to be a MS partner like these guys. http://pinpoint.microsoft.com/en-US/...&catid=&fst=0#

But you cannot put your TechNet copies onto a customers PC and sell them TechNet. It not quite how it works. You'd technically be making money from a subscription meant to testing only.

You need an OEM PC builder licenses. Like what Dell etc use to sell software with their PCs.
Do I get that license from Microsoft? My only concern though is that I cannot (obviously) compete with the volume of Dell, HP, etc- so would their be any "bulk" discount or such?
Old 09-05-10, 12:39 PM   #6
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Are you trying to get a reseller license so you can be a system integrator?
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-10, 12:43 PM   #7
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
Are you trying to get a reseller license so you can be a system integrator?
I want to legally build computers and sell them with Windows and even MS Office on them- all legally.

I'm curious how I'd go about doing this. I'm curious about what license(s) I'd need, and how I'd go about getting them. I thought I'd use my technet copies since I have far more than I'd ever be able to use... was curious if that could be done legally and what would be required to do it legally.
Old 09-05-10, 01:06 PM   #8
Bearclaw

You can't do it with technet. It's illegal.

You need a reseller license and depending on your state laws, a business license.

Old 09-05-10, 02:46 PM   #9
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearclaw View Post

You need a reseller license and depending on your state laws, a business license.
Figured those two would be in order. Just wondering if anything else was necessary- license wise.

And kinda' sucks I can't put all these copies of office and Windows to use. What am I supposed to do with 'em? Got like 100 keys for each individual copy of of every version of Windows, and the same with office. Nice I only pay $350 for all this otherwise expensive software but... what to do with the extras?
Old 09-05-10, 02:49 PM   #10
crainger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Do I get that license from Microsoft? My only concern though is that I cannot (obviously) compete with the volume of Dell, HP, etc- so would their be any "bulk" discount or such?
Not really no. You're meant to make your money on the system, once again you'll have to compete with Dell and HP. Don't forget some after sales service and support. It's not as easy as it sounds to sell PCs. Especially when every Dog and his candle are doing it.
Old 09-05-10, 02:54 PM   #11
Redeemed

Quote:
Not really no. You're meant to make your money on the system, once again you'll have to compete with Dell and HP. Don't forget some after sales service and support. It's not as easy as it sounds to sell PCs. Especially when every Dog and his candle are doing it.
Here's the kicker- I live out in the sticks, and the closes shops are near an hour away. I'm not doing this yet because I want to be certain there's a market for it- but I'd imagine it'd not be hard to setup a small shop here catering to this little community. Sure, my prices might be slightly higher than the shops in the city- but that's what you pay for the convenience of having a local computer shop out here in the sticks.

It'd be easy enough to build them and have bundles... I want to keep this small so probably no more than 5 computers for sale at a time. The rest of my time I'd spend doing house calls and computer troubleshooting/repair- meaning the bulk of my income would be from services. Which again- there's nothing around here offering that unless you want to drive an hour into the city.

Not gonna' start this yet, as I want to see how much of a demand there is for such a place first. But it's looking like it'd not be hard to start a small little business.
Old 09-05-10, 02:57 PM   #12
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearclaw View Post

that is true, Redeemed if you read Technet rules, all that software keys you get are for TESTING purpose only. You not even supposed to use it on "production" desktop.

you need to contact MS, and find out how and where to buy OEM licensing