Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-12-10, 01:51 AM   #1
agentkay

Default Overclocking with Dynamic Vcore + C1E/EIST

My I7-920 has been running bulletproof stable at 3,8Ghz (21*180, 1,20vcore, HT=off, LLC=off) for months and so far I have usually been disabling C1E and EIST because the non-default vcore setting basically made those settings useless. They didn't have an effect on temperature or power consumption (with EIST enabled, clockrates were changing, but voltages and temperatures remained the same).

Gigabyte boards have a setting in the BIOS that is called "Dynamic Vcore", basically you set your main cpu vcore setting to "normal" and then you can add the voltage that is necessary for an overclock to be stable (in my case +0,0375v). C1E and EIST function now just like they do when the CPU runs completely at default settings without any overclock: Depending on load not only the clockrates change (between 2,1Ghz and 3,8Ghz), but also the cpu voltages based load (0,9v - 1,18v in Windows). During normal desktop work/internet browsing the CPU runs a good 4C cooler (40C vs 44C) because of that.

Now here is the main question: while both o/c approaches seem equally stable (of course I have been running the one with the fixed vcore for months, compared to a couple of days with the dynamic vcore), What is your opinion on hardware reliablity with the dynamic vcore approach?

After all the clockrates can change by a solid 1,7Ghz within less than a second depending on what I do, I mean even youtube or flashbased games can temporary increase the cpu clocks to 3,8Ghz. I'm worried that certain components on the motherboard but maybe even the PSU are more stressed having to deal with the constant voltage changes. Yes the CPU runs a bit cooler (interestingly after checking RealTemp certain cores do spike a few degrees higher with the dynamic vcore compared to the fixed vcore, about 2C-4C but average CPU temp is certainly cooler) since it obviously is consuming less power.

Thanks in advance!

Karl

Intel I7-920 aircooled by Prolimatech Megahalems @ 3.8Ghz (200x19) | Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R | OCZ Platinum 3x2GB DDR3-1600 RAM (7-7-7-24) @ 1600 | Gainward GTX 480 | WD Raptor 74GB + 150GB + Samsung 1TB | Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum | Corsair AX850 Gold | Coolermaster Stacker 830 silver | Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 | Logitech G15 keyboard | Logitech G25 Racing Wheel | Sharp LC-46 XL1E (gaming and work)
F CliffyB.
agentkay is offline   Reply With Quote