Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-20-10, 07:43 AM   #1
wysiwyg

Default very random going on's (480 not detected/showing on post or in windows randomly)

the last two days my 480 has not shown or shall i say activated on power on.

I noticed no display showed on my dvi input so i had to switch to my 9600 which i use for physx connected with HDMI, and the 480 was not showing in devices in windows. the fan was spinning on the 480 so there was power going to it.

i have not played around inside my pc for months so nothing should have come lose. so i changed the PCI-e power connections on my PSU to the two spares and the 480 showed up. Then i put the power cables back into the original PSU outputs i used and it was fine again. last night I turned the pc on again and again the 480 didnt show so turned it off again. This morning i turn it on again and now the 480 was showing again

im at loss on what is going on! WTF???

anyone know?

thanks in advance!
wysiwyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-10, 01:48 PM   #2
wysiwyg

Default Re: very random going on's (480 not detected/showing on post or in windows randomly)

heeeeeeeeeeeelp
Old 08-20-10, 01:54 PM   #3
JasonPC

Default Re: very random going on's (480 not detected/showing on post or in windows randomly)

Have you tried reseating the card in the PCIe slot? Otherwise RMA for sure. If it's not showing up that could mean it's going bad, had an one 8800 in SLI do that one day. Just stopped showing up in the device manager.
JasonPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-10, 06:05 AM   #4
wysiwyg

EDIT: had the same happen again in the second row of power slots on psu today

so its either, mobo, GPU or PSU ???

and have also tried reseating the card
Old 08-21-10, 06:37 AM   #5
Revs

I would say it doesn't sound like the PSU. If the card was getting power through the mobo only the card should sound a warning beep to let you know it's not getting power through the other two plugs. And as you say the fan is spinning so it's getting power from somewhere.

TBH it sounds like the weight of the card might be pulling it away from a few of the pins in the PCI-Ex slot. I've know this to happen before. Try taking the card out, laying the machine on it's side and reinstalling the card, making sure you get it straight. In fact, while the card is out, check the slot for dust and/or bent connections.

Hope this halps buddy
Revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-10, 12:03 PM   #6
JasonPC

Could also try the motherboard outside of the case to make sure the card is seated properly.

Also try switching PCIe slots with the 9600 to see if the slot is defective.

Maybe you could find another system to try the 480 in to see if it's defective?
Old 08-21-10, 06:19 PM   #7
wysiwyg

its the bloody 480 at fault that caused the bios to not show, pause, lockup or shut down in windows

typical, just before mafia 2 comes out too

i was convinced it was the mobo before so ordered a new one. ah well

hope overclockers can rma it quickly
Old 08-21-10, 10:46 PM   #8
JasonPC

Yeah I figured. It's never a good sign for the GPU when it has been working and then all of a sudden drops out. Especially if you haven't even moved the case. Your 9600 might be able to at least run Mafia well on lower settings though I'm sure you'd rather see it in its full graphics.

Old 08-26-10, 05:56 AM   #9
wysiwyg

well overclockers UK have tested my card the last two days and they say it works fine and the computers boot no prob

WTF else can the cause be? maybe my PSU? thought everything seems to be working fine atm without the 480
Old 08-31-10, 08:38 AM   #10
wysiwyg

On my UD5 i went back to an earlier bios and loaded defaults and my 480 worked and booted without issue but i still wanted USB 3.0 so the second Asus i recieved was also DOA! it confirms what i first thought about Asus, their quality isnt what it used to be.

So i now have another Gigabyte board, this time the X58a UD3R rev 2.0, and everything seems to be working as it should now with my original PSU and Mem
Old 09-08-10, 02:56 AM   #11
YCH

Hi there, I signed up just to post here because I experienced a similar problem recently.

I had not changed any BIOS settings recently but one day my PC appeared to freeze in Windows 7. Then it started to freeze while the PC was still booting in the BIOS stage. It even froze while I was browsing through the motherboard BIOS trying to ascertain what low-level problem this could be.

I started to underclock my CPU and RAM and everything non-GPU related but still the freezes happen.

I began to suspect my video card because even when the display froze at bootup I could still hear the hard drive clicking softly like it does during a normal bootup. The keyboard still worked too (I could press the Numlock keys and it would toggle so I know the CPU is still responding).

So I transferred my GTX480 to my second PC and it appeared to work even under stressful benchmarks like 3Dmark Vantage, so I returned it to my first PC but the problem occured again. I finally managed to get it to complete a few runs of Vantage on my first PC but I noticed that benchmark numbers were lower than my typical runs (for example the GPU particles test is like 50% lower so it's way beyond the margin of error). Once again I transferred it to the second PC and now the same display freezing problem cropped up as well. So I figure it's the video card for sure.

I put in my RMA to MSI and they have processed it. Should be receiving it this week but I have no idea if that actually found a problem with it like I have or just sent it back to me without any changes. These kinds of problems are annoying because they are intermittent so if for some reason the video card doesn't act up and the manufacturer only tests for 10 minutes it's entirely possible they don't see the fault.

Although I don't have hard proof, this intermittent failure may point to something like a intermittent connection on the video card itself. Maybe with all the heat cycles it's not taking it well. To be fair though my PC is well ventilated and it idles around 45C and during hard benchmarks it goes up to about 85C (case is a roomy Thermaltake FT02 for the first PC, and a relatively well cooled Antec P182 for the second PC). This should be well within the tolerance of the video card. But you know...with something like 3 billion transistors on a huge die with hundreds (thousands?) of pins all it takes is a few pins to decouple from repeated heat cycles and you've got some failure there.
YCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-10, 09:28 AM   #12
coldkiss

Hi, I notice you have a Iiyama ProLite E2607WS 26" monitor connected to your system.

Have you tried running with a different monitor to see if you still have this problem of losing the display? I have this monitor too connected to my FX3700 SLI and I find that the monitor switches off completely (powers down) randomly on power up or display mode switching events like going to sleep. I RMA'ed mine last week and I find that the new one does the same thing so it seems like a monitor firmware problem.

You can test this out by unplugging the monitor when it goes blank from the power outlet and from the DVI PC connection for 1 min or so while pressing the monitor power switch to drain the charge from it. Once you plug itback in the power returns to the monitor and the DVI display returns. At least it does with my system. I know this sounds weird but give it a try and see if your system responds ok after this monitor power cycle & disconnect routine.

Let us know your results as this is an annoyance for me too for what otherwise is a nice display.
2xNvidia Quadro FX 3700 SLi 512Mb @ 702/1782/936
Creative X-Fi Platinum
WD2500JB 250gb, WD3200KS 320gb, WD5000AACS 500gb, ST3320620AS 320gb, HD103SJ 1tb, 6B200M0 200gb
Pioneer DVR-112L IDE, Samsung SH-S203B, 1000W PSU, Antec 300
Sidewinder X4 keyboard, MX600 mouse, iiyama E2607WSD & HP L1906 monitors, RV082 Router
coldkiss is offline   Reply With Quote