Old 09-10-10, 10:07 PM   #1
K007

Default Call of Duty Black Ops -Black Ops - Dedicated Servers Come With a Catch

http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/111/1119736p1.html
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-10, 12:11 AM   #2
dikinher
Grab em!

Default Re: Call of Duty Black Ops -Black Ops - Dedicated Servers Come With a Catch

While I think this is kind of lame, nothing could be worst than P2P hosting and IWnet.
Old 09-11-10, 12:23 AM   #3
mojoman0

Default Re: Call of Duty Black Ops -Black Ops - Dedicated Servers Come With a Catch

guess this is to prevent rank hacking. bet it will happen anyway
mojoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-10, 12:46 AM   #4
K007

mw2 had a local type profile system on release...

they should be having a similar profile system to blizzards b.net
Old 09-11-10, 06:25 AM   #5
FlakMagnet

So does this mean LAN play is not supported? Was really hoping LAN would be possible

Think I just found the answer... Which is 'No' . So me and my buddies can't play THIS CoD either for our LAN gaming days... very sad.

http://www.mapmodnews.com/article.php/LAN-PC-Black-Ops
2xSamsung 7200 750GB RAID 0| Akasa Eclipse 62
FlakMagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-10, 07:13 AM   #6
nutcrackr
Super Registered User

Its basically like the Battlefield system only from what I can tell they are only using ONE server provider, not hundreds of validated ISPs across the world.

Better than P2P, at least clans can host a server and control it to some extent. It's basically going to generate some funds for them as well although I would have preferred a broader range of approved servers.
Old 09-11-10, 07:41 AM   #7
K007

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlakMagnet View Post
So does this mean LAN play is not supported? Was really hoping LAN would be possible

Think I just found the answer... Which is 'No' . So me and my buddies can't play THIS CoD either for our LAN gaming days... very sad.

http://www.mapmodnews.com/article.php/LAN-PC-Black-Ops
LAN?...

I haven't played LAN style games in a loong time....most of the time we would have access to the net, and be playing online on servers together...

At the sametime i don't understand why they can't implement LAN...maybe IW took the code out completely on MW2?.....
Old 09-11-10, 09:46 AM   #8
FlakMagnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by K007 View Post
LAN?...

I haven't played LAN style games in a loong time....most of the time we would have access to the net, and be playing online on servers together...

At the sametime i don't understand why they can't implement LAN...maybe IW took the code out completely on MW2?.....
Myself and about 6 or 7 others get together about 2 or 3 times a year for a LAN gaming day at a collegues house. It's a bit of a social event really, but we spend about 12 hours gaming (BBQ or Pizza and some beers interrupt the gaming briefly). Mostly we do play online during non-gaming days, but it's rare to get all of us playing at once.

At the moment we play CoD:WaW, some UT3, TF2, L4D and maybe some others. But it would be nice to be able to play the newer FPS titles on LAN as we're getting a bit bored of the same ones all the time. We can't play MW2 or BC2, and it now looks as if we won't be able to play the new CoD either
2xSamsung 7200 750GB RAID 0| Akasa Eclipse 62
FlakMagnet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-10, 11:21 AM   #9
ViN86

Please quote the article in the OP. It's so ****ing annoying having to follow the links all the time. Quote that so we don't have to wade through pounds of **** to get wtf we want to know. </rant>

Quote:
Call of Duty: Black Ops for PC will ship with dedicated server support this November, but there's a catch if you want to run your own server.

Activision and Treyarch studios announced GameServers.com will be the exclusive dedicated server provider when the game launches.

"We are extremely excited about this unprecedented relationship with Activision to offer dedicated servers exclusively for Black Ops", said GameServers CEO David Aninowsky. "We are placing a great amount of pressure on ourselves to ensure that we exceed any and all expectations."

According to GameServers' pre-order page, ranked servers will cost $14.95 a month for an 18 max player limit. Discounts are offered for monthly prepays. Unranked servers will cost $0.99 a month per player up to maximum of 24. Teamspeak support will have an additional fee. Discounts will be offered for a 3, 6, and 12 month prepay.

Treyarch Community Manager Josh Olin said this partnership will provide high-quality private servers at an affordable rate for the game and re-emphasized Treyarch-hosted dedicated servers will remain free.

"If players want to run a dedicated Ranked or Unranked server on the PC, they will have to rent one through GameServers," Olin told IGN. "Treyarch will be providing a fleet of 'Day-1 Servers' (through GameServers) which will be up and operational on November 9th.

"Nobody will have to rent a dedicated server through GameServers in order to play the game," says Olin. "But for anybody who wants to run their own server, it will be run from GameServers.com."

Olin added that this partnership adds the advantage of much more effective anti-cheating and hacking moderation.

"If you rent a server, you will still have the ability to Kick, Ban, and Configure it the way you see fit," Olin added. "Of course Ranked servers will have some set configurations that can't be messed with; but you will still have the power to administrate your servers as a customer of GameServers."

Call of Duty: Black Ops ships for PC, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3 on November 9.
What's the catch? You have to buy the dedicated server? The exact same thing was done with BF:BC2. And BC2 costs $1.25 per player slot for ranked. I have no problem with any of this.

I thought the best part about LAN's was just gaming against people while they were next to you. So each person throw in a dollar and rent a private dedicated server for the month. Are you really going to complain about 99 cents?
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-10, 11:50 AM   #10
bacon12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlakMagnet View Post
Myself and about 6 or 7 others get together about 2 or 3 times a year for a LAN gaming day at a collegues house. It's a bit of a social event really, but we spend about 12 hours gaming (BBQ or Pizza and some beers interrupt the gaming briefly). Mostly we do play online during non-gaming days, but it's rare to get all of us playing at once.

At the moment we play CoD:WaW, some UT3, TF2, L4D and maybe some others. But it would be nice to be able to play the newer FPS titles on LAN as we're getting a bit bored of the same ones all the time. We can't play MW2 or BC2, and it now looks as if we won't be able to play the new CoD either
If there is still a matchmaking system like iwnet which I have heard there is then you may be able to host a private game and only those you invite through steam can join. So lan play may not be out.

Also Vin on a lan if you didn't have a really fast connection enough players could choke the connection to an outside server and make it unplayable. I don't mind game servers and all our clan servers are there. I just hope this doesn't change their policies and they don't oversell their servers.
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-10, 12:36 PM   #11
mojoman0

so this prolly means no zombie mode?
mojoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-10, 01:03 PM   #12
bob saget

Send a message via MSN to bob saget Send a message via Yahoo to bob saget

COD is dead to me. They have to pretty much make the best FPS ever to have me as a customer.
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote