Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-12-10, 01:46 AM   #1
Vanzagar
Bring me Amberlamps

Default 1st person vs. 3rd Person

This has to be the biggest mystery to me in gaming today… just finished up playing Mafia 2, and I can't stop asking myself why, WTF don’t you at least give me a 1st person option? It’s gotta be dead nuts simple, just move the camera and show a gun + a frackin hand. For me it would make the game sooo much funner, Oblivion did it… how hard can it be??

Here’s my beef with 3rd person:

1. FPS, I gotta be taking a hit on this, drawing the dudes body animated and with shadows, what’s that worth 5-10 fps, I'd like to have those extra FPS please as sometimes I dip under 30.

2. Camera, god damn camera, how many frakin times have I died in some small environment like a bar cause the camera either messed up completely or I had to fight with it to see what I needed to see, ya I really love looking into my avatars frakin ear while I’m getting my *ss shot off!!
3. Immersion, when playing 1st person games everyone once in awhile a little voice in my head goes off - yeah this is cool almost feels like I could actually be there. With 3rd person that little voice goes something like – yeah this is cool almost feels like… er never mind that dumb *sses fat frackin head is blocking my damn view again!

I mean seriously who the frak likes 3rd person view over 1st person and why?? Okay so lets say there's some legitimate reason out there that eludes me, like maybe you can see your environment a little better so it can help you cheat a little, fine but for Christ sake why the frak don't developers at least give us the option??

Vanz

ps. same goes for GTA, would really like to give that game a whirl in 1st person...

Last edited by Vanzagar; 04-28-11 at 10:38 PM.
Vanzagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-10, 02:25 AM   #2
Zenoth

Default Re: 1st person vs. 3rd Person

To each their own, I'll be content to say this, lest I type a "wall of text" about this, in the end it's just a matter of personal tastes and preferences, too bad you happen to play games with the "wrong" view. I agree about this for some rare cases, but usually I don't mind (in the case of Oblivion playing in third-person was unbearable due to the age of the engine and how ugly and awkward the character's animations were in third-person, better to "hide" that while being in first-person, same goes with Fallout 3).
GPU: eVGA GeForce GTX285 @ Stock
PSU: Corsair TX750W
APU: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic
Zenoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-10, 03:04 AM   #3
Viral
Registered User of Women

Third person has the added benefit of positioning the camera further away from textured surfaces. This allows for the use of lower res textures without it having as large of an impact on the visuals.

I think this is one of the main reasons we have seen a lot more third person games on consoles. Of course there are games where it is somewhat necessary due to the intaction with the environment... like say, Tomb Raider. Some modern First person games have started to prove that it can still be done with first person like mirrors edge. I'd like to see more of these games and this is the main reason I am excited about the upcoming FPS Brink.

Acer TravelMate 4002WNLCi: Pentium M 725 @ 1.6GHz | Mobility Radeon 9700/64MB | 2GB DDR400 | 15.4" WXGA
Viral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-10, 04:36 AM   #4
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

I prefer 1st person, but it's cool in RPGs to see your gear and weapons. Also some games make clever use of 3rd person, like Dead Space using Isaac as the HUD.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-10, 05:02 AM   #5
sammy sung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral View Post
Third person has the added benefit of positioning the camera further away from textured surfaces. This allows for the use of lower res textures without it having as large of an impact on the visuals.

I think this is one of the main reasons we have seen a lot more third person games on consoles. Of course there are games where it is somewhat necessary due to the intaction with the environment... like say, Tomb Raider. Some modern First person games have started to prove that it can still be done with first person like mirrors edge. I'd like to see more of these games and this is the main reason I am excited about the upcoming FPS Brink.
It doesnt have to be that way though,i'm playing Uncharted 2 now on the PS3 and that together with the first part 1 of the series has some of the very best visuals/textures seen on any format,it uses dual layer textures to great effect and detail.Sure,it lacks AA but that doesnt matter when youre sitting a few feet away from the screen instead of right next to it as you do with a PC.The textures for Mafia 2 looks like crap though as far as ive seen from screenies.

Most devs seem kinda lazy there with multiformat games but i guess its very timeconsuming optimizing visuals for each format so they end up going a safe middle road instead.First person view would have been impossible for uncharted but others would be cool if you atleast had the choice.
Old 09-12-10, 07:03 AM   #6
crainger

Textures for Mafia II are pretty good. Especially the playmates. ::
Old 09-12-10, 07:06 AM   #7
nutcrackr
Super Registered User

I prefer 2nd person, although rarely used.
Old 09-12-10, 07:55 AM   #8
Fuku2
Metal Guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcrackr View Post
I prefer 2nd person, although rarely used.
Yes, most PC gamers usually end up playing with themselves.
8 Gigs Kingston 1333 DD3
Asus VH238H 23" LED 2ms
WD 1TB Caviar Black 64MB cache SATA 6 Gb/s
CM Silent Pro 850 Watt

Band: http://www.myspace.com/hollowappostle
Fuku2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-10, 08:11 AM   #9
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

The moral of this thread.....consoles are killing PC gaming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-10, 08:40 AM   #10
crainger

3rd person game existed on PC long before consoles. If anything they predate 1st person.
Old 09-12-10, 08:45 AM   #11
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
3rd person game existed on PC long before consoles. If anything they predate 1st person.
Ignore him, he's an idiot.

As for preference, I usually like 3rd person for action adventure type games and even RPGs and 1st person for shooters. Games like fallout 3 and oblivion i switch between them often.
Old 09-12-10, 08:49 AM   #12
sammy sung

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
The moral of this thread.....consoles are killing PC gaming.
I doubt that this is the reason for it though since the tombraider series,alone in the dark etc all started on pc.It's all about money,Epic releases a ****ed up version of UT3 for PC,unoptimized crap ported from the version that they sold to sony as a release tease for the PS3 and it looked like **** even on the format it was developed for.They shunned their loyal UT fans on PC by not making the PC version any better and then theyre surprised when it doesnt sell and yell PIRATES !!
Then they release gow and shift a lot of copies so for them consoles = win.I seriously doubt that the pirates hurt the sales of UT3 much,you can't play a pirated game online and the SP is awful , just tacked on and not worth playing even if you own a retail copy.Devs have to work harder with PC versions,higher detail textures,AA etc so in the end theyre lazy and go where the easier money is and THAT's whats killing PC gaming,not the absence of 1st person view.