Old 09-13-10, 10:19 PM   #25
Vanzagar
Bring me Amberlamps

Default Re: 1st person vs. 3rd Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
...Character has to be seen.
wrong...

Story can still be told without having to see the back of my stupid characters head. Besides if I want to watch a movie I'll go rent one, I want to play a fraken game and be immersed in the story, I don't need to see the back of some dudes head to appreciate a story...

But at very least wtf don't they give us an option so we can play it both ways... just don't get it... I can't think of any free roaming first person games other than Oblivion, are there any? oh, wait I haven't tried fallout3 yet... oh and maybe farcry 2, haven;t tried that one either I guess...

Vanz
Vanzagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-10, 12:40 AM   #26
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Some games give us an option, but it can be a pain to implement and test a game for two different view points. If you've ever listened to the directors commentary on HL2 you'll know how much thought and testing goes into a strong story driven game.
Also with multiplayer 1st or 3rd person can give distinct advantages, so keeping limited to one keeps things even.
Another thing I've learnt with a partner who gets motion sickness playing some games. 3rd person games are way easier for her to play, 1st person gives her nausea and migraines. It all comes down to the game, so games work other don't. Can you imagine a Crysis 3rd person game? or a Witcher FPS?

Also you cannot declare nekro's opinion wrong. Only I may do that here.

BTW your opinion is under review. Will have results shortly.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-10, 10:24 AM   #27
|MaguS|

Borderlands is fun in 3rd person but aiming for accuracy or distance is alot harder since the aiming wasn't designed for 3rd person.
Old 09-14-10, 12:28 PM   #28
Q

If you have to drive or jump, 3rd person tends to be a bit better controls wise.

For just aiming and shooting, 1st person is the better choice.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-10, 02:27 PM   #29
CaptnStubing

The moral of this story, gamers cry about everything. 1st person, 3rd person, PC or console, it doesn't matter. What one person likes does not affect another person. Stop crying and play the damn game.

On a side note, I've always thought of FPS games are for more simple minded people.
CaptnStubing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-10, 02:49 PM   #30
lduguay
Un-Ripped

Captn says:

Me like fps games

Evga X58|I7 965 3.8GHz|Ultra 120 Extreme|Evga GTX 480 SC|2 x Intel X25-M 80GB RAID 0|Intel 520 - 240 GB|WD Black Caviar 1TB|6GB Corsair XMS3 1600C8 |Corsair 1000W PSU|Antec Twelve-Hundred|DELL U3011|Logitech G500|Logitech G19
lduguay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-10, 05:28 PM   #31
Vanzagar
Bring me Amberlamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
If you have to drive or jump, 3rd person tends to be a bit better controls wise.

For just aiming and shooting, 1st person is the better choice.
Yeah, that's a decent way of looking at it, and the majority of Mafia 2 is shooting...
Old 09-14-10, 05:37 PM   #32
Vanzagar
Bring me Amberlamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnStubing View Post
The moral of this story, gamers cry about everything. 1st person, 3rd person, PC or console, it doesn't matter. What one person likes does not affect another person. Stop crying and play the damn game.

On a side note, I've always thought of FPS games are for more simple minded people.
This has to be one of the dumbest posts I've ever seen... this is a forum for gaming discussions and no I'm not a big fan of FPS games either...

Old 09-16-10, 12:04 PM   #33
CaptnStubing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanzagar View Post
This has to be one of the dumbest posts I've ever seen... this is a forum for gaming discussions and no I'm not a big fan of FPS games either...
No it isn't dumb, it just offended you. LOL! What is dumb are the things gamers choose to cry about. Gamers don't discuss, they cry about this that and the other thing.

Don't hate me for bringing the message of troof.
CaptnStubing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-10, 12:12 PM   #34
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanzagar View Post
Yeah, that's a decent way of looking at it, and the majority of Mafia 2 is shooting...
then they must have made a special version of the game just for you.

and to add to what Q said: "If you have to drive or jump, 3rd person tends to be a bit better controls wise."

Cover system also adds to that. Cover Systems don't really work in 1st person.

Mafia II was designed for 3rd person, works great.
Old 09-16-10, 12:49 PM   #35
FastRedPonyCar
Resident Tire Destroyer

Send a message via AIM to FastRedPonyCar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hunt View Post
I am fine with either. Depends on what the game was made for. Hitman: Blood Money can be played in first person, but it sucks in first person.
Big +1.

If executed properly, a game can be amazing in 3rd person. Case in point: God of wars, Gears of war, Dead Space, etc.

It works really good when the cameras are done well and I think that the god of war games are the most shining example of this. standard FPS games that use 3rd person will almost always suffer from camera issues. As good a game as dead space was, there were some really frustrating moments that happened to occur during some heated combat where the camera made me want to punch the screen.

Even Ocarina of time had it's issues with the camera at times.

Programmer controlled camera doesn't always work out though... like with some of the tomb raider games. Uggg...
4770k @ 4.45 ghz - ASUS Gryphon Mobo - 16 gigs Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 RAM - XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 H2o Cooling - EVGA GTX 680 @1325mhz - 128 gig Crucial RealSSD C300 - 150 gig Velociraptor +2.75 Terrabytes of WD Sata 3.0 storage - 910 watt PC P&C PSU - Corsair Obsidian 650D case

- Server -
Core I7 D0 revision 920 @ 3.75 ghz - ASUS P6T Deluxe - 12 Gigs Mushkin DDR3 1600 - Corsair HX 620 PSU - Noctua NH-U9B cooler - Coolermaster WaveMaster Case

- Laptop -
MSI 16F2-012
- i7 2630QM - GTX570m @ 750Mhz - 8 gigs HyperX 1866 - 120 gig OCZ Vertex 3 SSD- 750 gig Scorpio Black - BluRay - 95% Gamut Screen - IC Diamond goop
FastRedPonyCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-10, 07:34 PM   #36
Armed_Baboon
Australian Gamer

totally agree with the OP. I find 3rd person awkward and difficult to use. I generally will avoid 3rd person games if they don't have an option to switch to 1st person.