Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-10-10, 09:35 PM   #1
BitJam

Default Still get vdpau tearing. No composite, 256.53 driver

It may not be as noticeable as the tearing I got with the older driver.

I ran: "startx -- -logverbose 6"

I set:
export VDPAU_TRACE=1
export VDPAU_NVIDIA_DEBUG=3

before running the video program. I'm using xbmc watching blu-ray discs streamed by makemkv. My current version of mplayer (mplayer-1.0_rc4_p2010080, ffmpeg-0.6) behaves badly when I try to use vdpau. The X cursor can't leave the area where the video is playing and when I exit. it switches meta-modes. SMplayer has the same problems. If you want me to run mplayer to test/debug vdpau then I will try to install an older version. It used to work great.

I also get tearing when I watch videos without vdpau. So right now with the 256.53 driver there is no way (I know of) for me to watch videos without tearing. PLMK if there is anything further I can do to help fix this problem.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (56.0 KB, 64 views)
BitJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-10, 10:32 AM   #2
Stephen Warren

Default Re: Still get vdpau tearing. No composite, 256.53 driver

XBMC renders using OpenGL; please see the README for details configuring OpenGL sync-to-vblank (actually, isn't there an option in the XBMC menus to configure this?)
Stephen Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-10, 01:14 PM   #3
BitJam

Thanks for the reply.

I reread the openGL section of the readme. Before launching xbmc from the command line I did:

$ export __GL_SYNC_TO_VBLANK=1
$ export __GL_SYNC_DISPLAY_DEVICE=DFP-0

There was no change in the tearing. My understanding was that when using VDPAU, none of the "sync to vblank" settings matter because the encoded video stream is sent directly to the GPU where it is both decoded and displayed. Therefore, if VDPAU is working correctly there should never be any tearing regardless of any of the normal "sync to vblank" settings.
Old 09-13-10, 01:39 PM   #4
hl_

BitJam, I am also experiencing tearing with OpenGL (not necessarily in XBMC, but everywhere) irrespectable of the vsync options set. Do you see tearing at the top of the screen or is it everywhere?

If I remember correctly, XBMC does not use VDPAU for display, but uses vdpau-gl interop to embed VDPAU video inside the UI, which uses OpenGL.
hl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-10, 02:24 PM   #5
BitJam

The tearing is in the top half of the screen. Maybe the top 1/3. I have an 8400 GPU.
Old 09-14-10, 02:02 PM   #6
theDOC

I have a tearing issue with xbmc too. I have a dual screen setup, but when I login it is set to first screen only. When I start xbmc after the login, I have tearing in the top 1/3 of the screen. To solve this I have to switch to dual screen and back to first screen only, before starting xbmc.
The tearing also appears when xbmc changes to single screen for me.
theDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-10, 02:28 PM   #7
snaboofypop

Hi. Likewise I have no composite. I built the 2.6.36-rc4-git1 kernel (yes, yes an out-of-band kernel), and the 256.53 driver would not build (and gave nasty messages about make oldconfig and make prepare on the kernel source... which are ineffective error messages), and I hunted through the nvidia build log. It complained once again (like the previous driver version) about ioctl in nv.c line 426, and so I commented line 426 out:
/* character driver entry points */

static struct file_operations nv_fops = {
.owner = THIS_MODULE,
.poll = nv_kern_poll,
/* .ioctl = nv_kern_ioctl, */
#if defined(HAVE_UNLOCKED_IOCTL)
.unlocked_ioctl = nv_kern_unlocked_ioctl,
#endif

and the nvidia driver (256.53) now builds...., so JOY!, but like the previous driver, composite does not fly (my digital TV tuner works, but my analog TV tuner does not, since it needs composite). Is there going to be a fix anytime?
snaboofypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-10, 07:13 PM   #8
BitJam

I get the same tearing in mplayer (I downgraded to 1.0_rc4_p20100612) so I don't think the tearing is related to openGL.

Old 09-14-10, 07:27 PM   #9
Deanjo

In XBMC in the system settings there are options there to prevent tearing.

Adjust display refresh rate to match video

and

Sync playback to display.
Deanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-10, 06:49 AM   #10
BitJam

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I had already set all the possible sync settings in both Nvidia-Settings and xbmc. As I said above, I also get tearing in mplayer using vdpau.

I don't believe that sync settings in applications can have any effect one way or the other on vdpau tearing. The decoding of the video stream and the presentation is all done by the GPU. Therefore the Nvidia driver and the Nvidia graphics card control whether there is tearing or not when displaying videos via vdpau.

You know, I think it is a bandwidth problem on the GPU. Maybe I need a faster GPU. The reason I say this is that the tearing seemed to be less noticeable after I upgraded to the 256.53 driver. I think this is because it is tearing less with the new driver and I'm guessing that it is now only tearing when the screen is very busy (a lot of information on the screen that is changing rapidly) so the GPU gets bogged down in decoding.

Also, I've only noticed tearing on 1920x1080 video. I haven't seen it on 1440x1080 video which is another indication it is a bandwidth problem. I bought this 8400 card specifically to use vdpau. I would be sad if it doesn't work. I certainly don't want to keep buying Nvidia cards hoping to find one that can display 1920x1080 video via vdpau without tearing.