Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-05-02, 01:20 PM   #1
jnd3
Sword Saint

Send a message via AIM to jnd3 Send a message via Yahoo to jnd3
Default To upgrade, or not to upgrade...

So here's the scoop. I use Windows98SE at home. Everything works reasonably well. The networking is a bit of a dog, but games run fine (the really important thing). My question: would it be worth my time and effort to upgrade to Window 2000 Pro? (By upgrade, I of course mean format and clean install...) I know the networking is a bit improved over 98SE, but what about game support? Right now it's about 95% Medieval: Total War, with some JK2 and FF thrown in the mix. I do have a few older games that I'll probably hit again (Throne of Darkness, Rune, Homeworld/Cataclysm, Half-Life, Undying, etc.) Any experiences, pro or contra, would be greatly appreciated.

System specs:
AMD Tbird 700 MHz
Abit KT-7
256 MB PC133
Creative Labs Annihilator 2 (GF2 GTS)
Sound Blaster Live! Value

Cheers,
JND
jnd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-02, 05:16 PM   #2
mr_oh_so_ice

Windows 2000 is a decent enough OS and would be awesome if it ran older games well enough. Here are a few I ran into trouble with:

NFS High Stakes - requires much pain to install and usually won't work.
NFS Porsche Unleashed - has memory problems.
Rune - sometimes the graphics get messed up, everything looks white.
Quake 2 - save games won't load.

Its usually the older games that give it a fit, new stuff will work fine since they were designed for 2000 support. Networking is good for 2 or more machines together but for general net use there isn't much difference. Getting a 98 computer to share files with a 2000 machine is hell.
mr_oh_so_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-02, 06:09 PM   #3
Starscream
Decepticook

Quote:
Originally posted by mr_oh_so_ice
That's kinda strange, I've never seen any problems with it in 2k on multiple systems.
Old 09-06-02, 09:24 AM   #4
mr_oh_so_ice

Won't work for me, I get function pointers have moved errors all the time.
Old 09-06-02, 10:33 PM   #5
PCarr78

Default Re: To upgrade, or not to upgrade...

Quote:
Originally posted by jnd3
Would it be worth my time and effort to upgrade to Windows 2000 Pro?
YES

God YES.

Do it now. Just stay away from XP

You'll be glad you did.

Once you go NT, you never go back.
PCarr78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-02, 10:36 PM   #6
PCarr78

Quote:
Originally posted by mr_oh_so_ice
Windows 2000 is a decent enough OS and would be awesome if it ran older games well enough. Here are a few I ran into trouble with:

NFS High Stakes - requires much pain to install and usually won't work.
NFS Porsche Unleashed - has memory problems.
Rune - sometimes the graphics get messed up, everything looks white.

Its usually the older games that give it a fit, new stuff will work fine since they were designed for 2000 support. Networking is good for 2 or more machines together but for general net use there isn't much difference. Getting a 98 computer to share files with a 2000 machine is hell.
What?

That's bull

NFS HS is a pain to install but it runs fine.

NFSPU is perfect. just delete gimme.dll, all problems disappear for me

Rune takes a bit of work/tweaking to make it function. Game tweaking, not os tweaking, btw

Quake2, Ive never experienced nor heard of this at all.

Older games are actually pretty ok with latest compatibility updates.

As for filesharing between 98 and 2k... yeah. It really is as horrible as it sounds. Thet's why there is www.helmig.com
Old 09-07-02, 04:55 PM   #7
mr_oh_so_ice

Quote:
Originally posted by [Corporal Dan]

What?

That's bull

NFS HS is a pain to install but it runs fine.

NFSPU is perfect. just delete gimme.dll, all problems disappear for me

Rune takes a bit of work/tweaking to make it function. Game tweaking, not os tweaking, btw

Quake2, Ive never experienced nor heard of this at all.

Older games are actually pretty ok with latest compatibility updates.

As for filesharing between 98 and 2k... yeah. It really is as horrible as it sounds. Thet's why there is www.helmig.com
NFS HS is probably the most painful piece of software to install on 2000 and there are people out there who still can't install it, or when they install it they can't save their configurations and settings after they exit the program. Check the NTCompatible and NFS Cheats forums and you'll find people still with High Stakes problems.

NFS PU, deleting gimme.dll is only 1 solution to the problem, for some it doesn't work, some people need to modify the page files and even then for some it doesn't work. By deleting gimme.dll I believe the multiplayer games do not run properly. Again the NTCompatible, Rage3D, and NFSCheats forums have users with these issues.

Prowl the forums on PlanetQuake and you will find tons of users with FUNCTION POINTERS HAVE MOVED problem on Q2 save game loading, this problem usually occurs on 2000/XP systems.

Some people can't even get Rune to work on XP, under 2000 a little bit of tweaking could get it going smooth, 2000 is supported for Rune so it should work ok, I had a few graphical glitches, turning on VSYNC sometimes fixed it, but usually rebooting the OS helped all the time.
Old 09-07-02, 07:38 PM   #8
PCarr78

I'll be the first to admit that NFS4 is one badly coded piece of software. it's truly horrible.

It won't detect my GeForce2 at all, for starters, i hafta modify registry keys myself to get it to function.

Also, it thinks i have a pirated version, so it will start 1 out of 2 times, even though i bought the game. The cd is not even scratched or anything.

Patching the game ****s everything up. The game executable wont work anymore. i can only accss it from the direct multiplayer executable.

Also, using custom card occasionally dumps me to the desktop.

Another thing is that the framerate is REAL low. Much lower than it should be.

The framerate DIES when you use a custom car with 2000 polygons or more.

Also the driving physics are bad! Ugh, it's so unrealistic! And the manual shifting is badly done as well. I wish there were an equivalent game to GT3 on the PS2 for the PC...

As for Rune, i had gotten it to work with XP. I just transplanted some files from my UT directory and played around with the .ini files. It worked quite well afterwards. The game kinda sucks though. It's disappointing not to have any RPG-like elements at all. It's the perfect game for that. This was my only complaint with heretic2.

Old 09-08-02, 02:47 PM   #9
mr_oh_so_ice

To speed up NFS High Stakes use NFS PU's d3da.dll file in place of High Stakes, DX7 acceleration is better than DX6, you'll see the amazing difference.
Old 09-09-02, 10:08 AM   #10
jnd3
Sword Saint

Send a message via AIM to jnd3 Send a message via Yahoo to jnd3

Thanks for the responses, all. It looks like the general consensus is "go for it," so, as Sting once put it, consider me gone. Now to find a chunk of time to archive all accumulated kibble to some CDRs and actually DO the job. And download all the drivers. And so forth, and so on.

I may have to check some of the Medieval: Total War forums as well. Maybe an upgrade to 2000 will fix the annoying sound issues during battles (I want the crunch of mangonel stones hitting their targets, not the sound of breaking glass)...

Cheers,
JND
jnd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-02, 12:35 AM   #11
Mike89
Dude, where's my brain?

XP all the way. Far superior to 98. No way could I ever go back to 98 after using XP. It just handles everything far more efficiently, especially resources/memory. Night and day.

I had never used 2000 before but did mess with one computer with it installed after I had XP for awhile. No way could I use 2000 after using XP.

I have XP Pro on 4 computers, no problems with any of them. 2 of them clean install, 2 of them upgrade. All stable as a rock.

BTW I am a gamer as you can see by my system below. XP has not slowed my gaming experience one bit. Only issue I have is the refresh rate issue. I edit my own driver infs so I'm good to go there also.
I7 3770 @ 4.4 gig (Noctua NH-U14S Heatsink), ASRock Z77 Extreme6, 16 Gigs (2x8) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX 680 Signature 2, Acer P236H 23" (1920x1080), X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Pro, 2 WD 640 gig SATA HDDs, WD 750 gig HDD (eSata), WD 1TB Black HDD, Sandisk 32 GB ReadyCache SSD, 2 SATA DVD Burners, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speaker System, Corsair TX750w PSU, HSPC Top Deck Tech Station, Windows 7 Pro x64
Mike89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-02, 06:52 AM   #12
Gator
Unreal Tournament Gamer

the specs you would run Win2k nicely, possibly WinXP too. I suggest you create a 2nd partition, put Win2k on that and see how everything runs. If it runs well, then simply ditch the 98se partition, and expand Win2k to the full extent of the disk.

You'll want a program like PQMAGIC for this of course