Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-17-10, 11:43 AM   #1
chil

Default Problems with VDPAU (reboots computer)

When I try to play a video file using VDPAU (ex: 720p mp4 file) my computer is rebooted. I could use VDPAU fine with 190.53 nvidia drivers but not with later versions (195.36 and above fails). Cause the computer is instantly rebooted I can't view/generate any output or trace.

My video card is a Sparkle 9800GT (Passive cooling).

lspci: 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G92 [GeForce 9800 GT] (rev a2)

Operating System: Debian

uname -a: Linux debian780g 2.6.32-5-amd64 #1 SMP Tue Sep 14 20:16:12 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Mplayer version: 2:1.0~rc3++svn20100804-0.0 from debian-multimedia

I hope someone can help me.
chil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-10, 02:28 PM   #2
Licaon

Default Re: Problems with VDPAU (reboots computer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chil View Post
When I try to play a video file using VDPAU (ex: 720p mp4 file) my computer is rebooted. I could use VDPAU fine with 190.53 nvidia drivers but not with later versions (195.36 and above fails). Cause the computer is instantly rebooted I can't view/generate any output or trace.
can you read http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46678 and generate a good report with the debug info as instructed ?
Licaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-10, 03:06 PM   #3
chil

I attach the log generated by nvidia-bug-report.sh. I hope this can help.

I think the problem may be related to how it was fixed the "Fan control problem in 195.36.03". But as I said, I'm unable to view/get the output when the system crash so I have no more clues.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (49.6 KB, 82 views)
Old 09-27-10, 10:34 AM   #4
Stephen Warren

chil, Could you please try the latest 260.19.06 driver to see if this resolves your issue. Thanks.
Stephen Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-10, 05:03 PM   #5
chil

Hi,

I tried it this morning and I could play the videos using vdpau without crash ^_^

I've some peaks of cpu usage while playing the videos with this versions but at least.. doesn't crash.

I'll keep doing a little more testing but for now it seems the problem is solved.

thank you
Old 10-18-10, 05:54 AM   #6
chil

Seems the problem is not fully solved. I'm still getting system crash sometimes. I tried the 260.19.12 driver and the problem persists. Now I get the crash after a few seconds, not inmediatly. Sometimes around 1 min of video play.

When that happends, I can't power up the system. I need to took off the power, wait around 30seconds and then switch on.

Any ideas?
Old 10-18-10, 11:25 AM   #7
Stephen Warren

That sounds pretty odd. When you get the crash now, is this still an immediate system reboot? If so, this sounds like a hardware issue to me; perhaps the power-supply is failing or something like that?
Old 10-18-10, 11:50 AM   #8
chil

I thought the same at first. But the graphic card works well in Windows with full playing games and in Linux too (under wine or native opengl games), if it's a power supply problem it should fail too. Also, as I said it worked well with old 190.53 drivers.

I'll try to test the graphic card with another computer (to be sure) but I think if it's a power supply failure.. it should fail with 190.53 too.

And for the crash... it's an inmediate crash (no logs, no sync,...). System goes down like a power cut.

It's a weird and annoying problem. T_T

Old 11-12-10, 06:13 AM   #9
chil

Sorry for my late update. Here I come with the last test I did.

I tried:

- newer 260.19.21 nvidia drivers
- Update motherboard bios
- New power-supply (more powerful)
- Another nvidia card ( VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G92 [GeForce 8800 GT] (rev a2) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

None of them have fixed the problem. The crash still happens. But while i was testing that, I found a way to reproduce the crash. I always happens when I'm playing a video (mplayer) with ffh264vdpau and then switch to console (ctrl-alt-f1 => tty1) and then return to X-window. After that, the video is frozen (audio may still running) and a few seconds later (about 10s) the system reboots.

The person who lent me the 8800gt video card tested that with his Debian system and he didn't get the crash. So.. I tried a fresh debian's install with the lastest 260.19.21 (.run) nvidia drivers and there is no crash there. Maybe I've a library conflict or some old nvidia libs mixed in my system? How can I check that? (I already did the nvidia-installation that validates previous installation and search conflicting files).
Old 11-12-10, 10:04 AM   #10
Stephen Warren

chil,

Thanks for the extra information on how to repro the problem. Previously, we've been unable to repro the problem here, but we'll try again with your new instructions.
Old 11-16-10, 05:21 PM   #11
danix
NVIDIA Corporation

chil,

If you are no longer observing this problem after a fresh OS install it's possible that something as simple as a corrupted system file might have been responsible.

If in the future you are able to reproduce the problem again, please let us know, and especially make note of any changes from the default configuration of the system that may appear to be involved.
danix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-10, 06:25 PM   #12
chil

I'm still doing testings because it's really a pain having to migrate all my config and files with a fresh install.

Also, I'm trying to check what is the cause of that to prevent ocurr again but at least for now I'm unable to do that (don't know how to trace which libs are used).

You said the problem may be a corrupted file. It should be a file related with nvidia (or xorg), right? Could be an old nvidia's library? How can I check for all NVIDIA drivers files (old ones included) so I could completly remove and reinstall? Is there any way to know which files are?

Hope you can still help me there. Thanks.