Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-17-10, 01:27 PM   #13
chil

Default Re: Problems with VDPAU (reboots computer)

Well, while I was testing with the fresh install I found that the problem is not solved but I found something new.

When I updated the motherboard's BIOS the Cool&Quiet option was enabled (CPU speed throttling and power saving technology) but I didn't notice because I don't have it configured in my OS. The new fresh install have it configured by default, so it sets CPU to 1.0 Ghz (cpu supports up to 2.5Ghz).

The thing is: (in the fresh install) with cpu frequency set to 1.0 Ghz I can play a video with vdpau, switch to tty and come back while video is reproducing without system crash. If I set cpu frequency higher than that, the system crash while doing the test.

(With Cool'n quiet disabled CPU frequency is set to 2.5Ghz, so the system crash while doing the test too)

Why that happens or how to solve it? I don't know.

Any ideas?
chil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-10, 03:47 PM   #14
chil

Seems I was wrong. It crash too with CPU at 1Ghz. Just to discard I tried another power-supply (3rd one) and passed a memtest again (no errors).

I found that AMD HyperTransport is somewhere related to CPU speed too (My motherboard have an ATI/AMD chipset). So I tried to change HT speed (values are: auto, 200,400,600,800 and 1000 mhz) and that's what happend:

- Hypertransport auto => system crash with test.
- Hypertransport at 200 => no system crash with test.
- Hypertransport above 200 => system crash with test.

Why vdpau don't work with HT > 200?

Well, I tried old 190.53 drivers again changing HT values.

- Hypertransport auto => no system crash with test.
- Hypertransport at 200 => no system crash with test.
- Hypertransport above 200 => no system crash with test.

So... no system crash with old 190.53.

Really weird. It can be some kind of conflict with NVIDIA and Hypertransport?
Old 11-22-10, 10:48 AM   #15
Stephen Warren

It sounds like running VDPAU simply exposes some inherent instability in your system. VDPAU transfers more data to the GPU and memory than regular computer usage, which may explain why the problem only shows up with VDPAU. I imagine that a graphics-heavy OpenGL application, or potentially even significant disk IO or other peripheral usage, might also show up the problem.

The VDPAU driver has no specific direct interaction with HyperTransport.
Stephen Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-10, 11:45 AM   #16
chil

First of all, thanks for your replies.

What you said sounds logical except that I didn't get this crash playing video games (like Call of duty 4, league of legends, etc) and the vdpau test tool (found in this forum) didn't reboot my computer. (maybe VDPAU transfers more data than video games but it should crash with the vdpau test tool, right?)

Also I didn't get any crash with old 190.53 drivers. Old drivers didn't transfer the same amount of data with VDPAU? It can't be that VDPAU is putting wrong data while transfering?
Old 11-29-10, 10:59 AM   #17
Stephen Warren

Unfortunately, it's impossible to tell what the real problem is without reproducing it at NVIDIA. We've spent quite a bit of effort attempting to do this, and haven't been able to see your problem at all.
Stephen Warren is offline   Reply With Quote