Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-25-10, 12:18 PM   #61
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Default Re: Official Civilization V Feedback Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by $n][pErMan View Post
Hmmm.. I have 0 lag with DX 9.. smooth as butter. I will try updating my video drivers to the newest version (think i am still on a version from April... lol.). I would like to use DX 10 but it was a damn slide show for me, it has to be a driver issue.

What graphics settings are you using for DX10? I will use that as a starting point.
Pretty much maxed out @ 1920x1200, 4x AA.

The graphics don't lag for me per se. The only lag I ever get is once I've played for a large number of turns, and it is the "other players" turn and all the cpu calculations are taking place. Once that is over, the game is back to being smooth during my turn.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-10, 01:12 PM   #62
jlippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by methimpikehoses View Post
you can change winning conditions in the "advanced setup" before beginning a game, IIRC.
Thanks, next time there will no easy way out for my enemies..
jlippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-10, 01:13 PM   #63
methimpikehoses

i was just looking at it-- under the advanced settings you can do any victory conditions you want, including setting the number of allowed turns. default is 330 (to year 2050).
Old 09-25-10, 01:25 PM   #64
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by methimpikehoses View Post
i was just looking at it-- under the advanced settings you can do any victory conditions you want, including setting the number of allowed turns. default is 330 (to year 2050).
You're a victory condition
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-10, 01:29 PM   #65
methimpikehoses

i'm not the victory condition you're looking for ... move along
Old 09-25-10, 01:30 PM   #66
mojoman0

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

More people playing Civ5 than MW2 on steam alone! Must be selling well
mojoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-10, 04:17 PM   #67
$n][pErMan
III%

Send a message via AIM to $n][pErMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
Pretty much maxed out @ 1920x1200, 4x AA.

The graphics don't lag for me per se. The only lag I ever get is once I've played for a large number of turns, and it is the "other players" turn and all the cpu calculations are taking place. Once that is over, the game is back to being smooth during my turn.
New drivers fixed it... smooth as butter now in DX10/11 mode with full settings!
Intel® Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 @ 3.51GHz (390 x 9 / 1.39v) | ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP LGA 775 Intel P965 (1236 BIOS) | OCZ GOLD 8GB (2GB x 4) DDR2 PC2-8500 Dual Channel (4-4-4-12 780Mhz/1.95V 1:1 Ratio) | EVGA GeForce GTX 770 DUAL SuperClocked 4GB (Currently @ 1240MHz Core / 7112MHz Memory) | Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS | Zalman CNPS9700 LED Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler | Samsung SSD 840 Series 256GB | ASUS ProArt 24in Widescreen LED 1920 x 1200 | Samsung DVD-RW-DL 18x Burner w/ lightscribe| SILVERSTONE OP650 ATX12V / EPS12V 650W Power Supply | AOpen 5.1 Surround sound system | Windows 7 Pro x64
100% Orthos Stable!
$n][pErMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-10, 02:59 PM   #68
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Just bought it oh man I can't wait.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-10, 04:39 PM   #69
lIqUID
whip yo ass!

played the demo off Steam, and it's taking everything in my power to resist buying this. If I find it for $30 I'm jumping on it. This game would destroy my outside life.

i7 930@3.8ghz on Noctua NH-U12P
Evga x58 LE
MSI GTX 480 formerly known as HIS HD5870
128 gig Crucial m4/80 gig Intel X25-M ssd/500 gb WD
750 watt Corsair TX
Coolermaster HAF-X

if my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour you're gonna to see some serious sh!t.
lIqUID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-10, 09:12 AM   #70
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

I was up till 2:00 am without even realizing it! Finished a map with the "Play Now" or whatever it's called settings, and they weren't kidding when they said military victory was easier this time around. Granted I played on Warlord setting, but still in Civ 4 it was much harder to dominate your enemies (I think stacking massive amounts of units in cities was really dumb anyway).

In the game I played, there were basically two continents - my continent, which I ended up conquering, and the one overseas, which my (at the time) ally there destroyed. I was a lifelong friend of my closest city-state neighbor, but the two others sharing our island were very bitchy and annoying - they had to be destroyed. I took out my closest civ neighbor early on because while we enjoyed good relations at the start, she for some reason became unsettled about a recent city I built (it wasn't that close to their borders!) and called off our open borders treaty. Being that my armies were far more advanced and their cities weak, I basically walked over and destroyed them within a few turns. They had access to some nice luxury resources anyway.

It's interesting how other civs react to you when you've conquered another player. They seem displeased but unwilling to take any action. My only other neighbor agreed to some fairly unreasonable trade agreements and an open borders pact which proved to be their downfall. There was a southwestern peninsula which was the former territory of some city-state, but they angered me by requesting that I destroy my good friend city-state so I took them over and planned to colonize this area. Well, sure enough, my civ neighbor to the south abused our open border treaty and moved through my territory to place a city right in between the peninsula and my original borders. I had to wipe him out.

After completely dominating my continent, I turned my eye towards the east. There were several warring factions there as well, but my initial contact was with the big badass there and we got along pretty well. He'd been cleaning up and asked for my assistance in defeating the French, which I happily agreed to. Unfortunately, he grew arrogant in his success and neglected to notice that my military was far more advanced and my economy much more stable. I offered many times to establish fair trade relations but his counter-offers were always ridiculous. After I saw him moving military units around my two brand-new previously-French cities, thus threatening my only foothold in the East, I knew it was time - for the giant death robots.

The "buy now" mechanic, which I hadn't done a whole lot before, was almost overpowered here. My treasury had something like 10,000 gold and I was able to deploy several giant robots and a nuclear missile within 2 turns. After nuking some obnoxious city-states who were warring amongst themselves and distracting me, I marched through my enemy's territory, annihilating his troops and cities with ease. After conquering over half the continent and ignoring several pleas for peace, I finally relented when I reached his original homeland and found well-guarded cities waiting for me (even my death robots would have trouble without siege support). I was content at this point.

Although I could have easily wiped him out, I had already finished completion of the spaceship parts and won a space victory. I suppose I should mention this game started at 7:00 pm. Play this game at your own peril - you will never look at the time, you won't eat, you won't get up to go to the bathroom. It completely absorbs you. There are probably some issues with the game but I never noticed any of them because I was having too much fun.

If you have ever been even slightly interested in Civilization, get this game, but like I said make sure you have some serious time to devote to it.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Old 09-27-10, 11:00 AM   #71
Maverick123w

Send a message via AIM to Maverick123w

Well after a marathon 8 hour gameplay session (the wife was not thrilled lol) I have to say that while the game is very fun, it's not even close to half the game civ 4 was. It feels very much like civ-lite to me.

I really like some of the improvements and it's nice to actually see tanks roll spearmen every time like they should.

Maybe it will grow on me some more over time but I have to say I like the previous game a whole lot more.
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-10, 11:46 AM   #72
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick123w View Post
Well after a marathon 8 hour gameplay session (the wife was not thrilled lol) I have to say that while the game is very fun, it's not even close to half the game civ 4 was. It feels very much like civ-lite to me.

I really like some of the improvements and it's nice to actually see tanks roll spearmen every time like they should.

Maybe it will grow on me some more over time but I have to say I like the previous game a whole lot more.
Have to be honest as much as I liked Civ4 I do not miss religion and governments. I think the policy trees serve those purposes much better. The change from individual city happiness/etc to civ-wide meters is nice too. It just seems like this game trimmed a lot of fat, which I know some people enjoyed but late-game Civ4 was always very tedious to me.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410