Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-27-10, 04:23 PM   #73
$n][pErMan
III%

Send a message via AIM to $n][pErMan
Default Re: Official Civilization V Feedback Thread

The more I play this game the more I like it over Civ IV. And as predicted... it is killing my workouts after work. I just got off work and now I just want to make dinner quick so I can be done with it and play Civ V untill I need to get to bed for another day tomorrow... lol.
Intel® Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 @ 3.51GHz (390 x 9 / 1.39v) | ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP LGA 775 Intel P965 (1236 BIOS) | OCZ GOLD 8GB (2GB x 4) DDR2 PC2-8500 Dual Channel (4-4-4-12 780Mhz/1.95V 1:1 Ratio) | EVGA GeForce GTX 770 DUAL SuperClocked 4GB (Currently @ 1240MHz Core / 7112MHz Memory) | Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS | Zalman CNPS9700 LED Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler | Samsung SSD 840 Series 256GB | ASUS ProArt 24in Widescreen LED 1920 x 1200 | Samsung DVD-RW-DL 18x Burner w/ lightscribe| SILVERSTONE OP650 ATX12V / EPS12V 650W Power Supply | AOpen 5.1 Surround sound system | Windows 7 Pro x64
100% Orthos Stable!
$n][pErMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-10, 12:28 AM   #74
jlippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaman09 View Post
The "buy now" mechanic, which I hadn't done a whole lot before, was almost overpowered here.
The unit upgrading is quite neat little thing as well.

Had some weak units placed around and enemy insulted my army and started a war.
After he got near my city I upgraded some silly old pre-iron units to riflemans and walked through his cities.
jlippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-10, 12:38 AM   #75
methimpikehoses

what difficulty are you all playing at? warlord was easy... prince is not so easy, particularly next to an aggressive civ.
Old 09-28-10, 01:02 AM   #76
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Have to be honest as much as I liked Civ4 I do not miss religion and governments. I think the policy trees serve those purposes much better. The change from individual city happiness/etc to civ-wide meters is nice too. It just seems like this game trimmed a lot of fat, which I know some people enjoyed but late-game Civ4 was always very tedious to me.
Yep.

I miss some things from Civ 3 and 4, but overall the fit and finish and the stuff they got rid of in Civ V is totally worth it.

They need to clean up some items but outside of that, I have found the game allows me to concentrate on some things better than others.

I wish I could queue more items though

By the way, is there ever going to be a new Alpha Centauri? I LOVED that game.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-10, 09:53 AM   #77
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by methimpikehoses View Post
what difficulty are you all playing at? warlord was easy... prince is not so easy, particularly next to an aggressive civ.
Yeah on warlord I found the game was very easy. I was expecting a bit more of a challenge since it has been quite a while since I've played a Civ game and I figured there would be a steep learning curve. Overall it seemed like the AI was hesitant to really defend itself and I was easily able to steamroll my neighbors, which wasn't even my original intent. I had a couple dozen cities by the end of the game but my happiness remained very high - I believe that was a handicap granted by the game difficulty and perhaps some accidentally good choices regarding buildings and policies.

I'm playing a game on Prince now attempting a cultural victory, and I gotta say it's much much harder. Trying to maintain a military strong enough to fend of attackers, working with a small amount of cities and being somewhat resource-starved, I'm finding that each turn is a very difficult process for me. It's actually kind of exhilarating. I have two neighboring civs and four city-states nearby, the civs are frequently at war with each other and one of them(the Greeks, amusingly) actually took over a city-state. I often request research agreements and trade which both civs accept without making further demands, which seems odd because militarily I'm completely inferior to both.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-10, 09:55 AM   #78
|MaguS|

Quote:
Have to be honest as much as I liked Civ4 I do not miss religion and governments. I think the policy trees serve those purposes much better. The change from individual city happiness/etc to civ-wide meters is nice too. It just seems like this game trimmed a lot of fat, which I know some people enjoyed but late-game Civ4 was always very tedious to me.
Yeah I played some Civ 4 this week to compare the two and man I do not miss the changes. I love how streamlined it is yet still has alot of depth and options.

EDIT:
My girlfriend is even getting into the game, she never played any of the past games and fell in love with the game. By her own admission she really didn't know how to play but was doing well enough that she completed the demo without trouble.
Old 09-29-10, 10:02 AM   #79
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

My only real concern with the game is the very odd and unpredictable AI behavior. This goes for civs and city-states. For example, while I was wading through a single-civ dominated continent, I liberated a few city-states along the way. The game informed me that these city-states would be eternally grateful. I checked my reputation with the city state, and it displayed as maxed out, yet also said they were at war with me. Sure enough, the units I left there for a turn were bombarded by the city they just liberated. Very strange. Granted, I was generally disliked by many city-states since I conquered two myself, but I still had an ally in my original continent. Even more strange, the liberated states declared themselves allies of the Iriquois, who had conquered them in the first place. Maybe needs a patch?
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Old 09-29-10, 10:11 AM   #80
Maverick123w

Send a message via AIM to Maverick123w

Quote:
My only real concern with the game is the very odd and unpredictable AI behavior. This goes for civs and city-states. For example, while I was wading through a single-civ dominated continent, I liberated a few city-states along the way. The game informed me that these city-states would be eternally grateful. I checked my reputation with the city state, and it displayed as maxed out, yet also said they were at war with me. Sure enough, the units I left there for a turn were bombarded by the city they just liberated. Very strange. Granted, I was generally disliked by many city-states since I conquered two myself, but I still had an ally in my original continent. Even more strange, the liberated states declared themselves allies of the Iriquois, who had conquered them in the first place. Maybe needs a patch?
Yeah the AI is pretty bad. I'm sure it will get fixed.
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-10, 10:30 AM   #81
|MaguS|

Yeah the AI gets weird. I saved a City State and the system immediately told me they were now friends with me, not even a second after the msg disappeared another appeared telling me they no longer were friendly with me.
Old 09-29-10, 10:45 AM   #82
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Yeah the AI gets weird. I saved a City State and the system immediately told me they were now friends with me, not even a second after the msg disappeared another appeared telling me they no longer were friendly with me.
Well it can depend on your relationship with their allies as well as the turn-based "rep decay" that occurs. My guess is that in my game, the Iriquois ran out of space and the AI decided to invade their city-state neighbors, who didn't change from their "ally" status. Since I was at war with their "allies" when I liberated them, they were at war with me, but also max rep with me since by liberating them, the game granted me this huge reputation boost. It's obviously a huge bug since liberating city-states and other civs is basically the only way to win a diplomatic victory (one of my next projects). I'm afraid that for the moment, the game's AI prevents the diplomatic and cultural victory conditions from being possible.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Old 09-29-10, 05:57 PM   #83
Armed_Baboon
Australian Gamer

can you still take out a unit of tanks with some well placed bowmen in this game? that was a really, really stupid part of CIV4.
Old 09-29-10, 07:46 PM   #84
methimpikehoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armed_Baboon View Post
can you still take out a unit of tanks with some well placed bowmen in this game? that was a really, really stupid part of CIV4.
no.

the AI is stupid tho, at least on warlord. in the modern era, was sneak-attacked by an army of pikemen and trebuchets. so i upgraded 4 or so riflemen to mechanized infantry and proceeded to destroy their entire army and capture some cities in just a dozen turns. then they signed a peace deal with me, and basically gave me all their cash, a number of cities, resources, gold per turn, etc.

going back to prince difficulty for the next game, now that i am figuring out some more of the production mechanics.

also, french seem to be quite overpowered with their culture bonus at the beginning of the game...