Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-26-10, 12:04 PM   #13
technoid

Default Re: Need Hard Drive Recommendation

Okay. I'm slow but I just ordered the new Samsung F4 2TB from superbiiz. Thanks for letting me know about the sale. By the time I decided to order it I figured I waited too long, but when I checked last night the sale was still going on so I ordered one.

Samsung Spinpoint F4EG HD204UI 2TB SATA2 5400rpm 32MB Hard Drive - $94.99 (free shipping)

I keep reading about people having lots of problems with their 2TB drives so I hope mine is okay and reliable. I've read it's very quiet so that part should be good. I was about to order one of the HP Home Servers too (EX490 or EX495) but decided to put it in my own computer since that's what I'm serving from already. Right now I serve our video files from a WD 640 Black in an eSATA enclosure.

I'll post my install experience once it gets here and I set it up.
Old 09-28-10, 09:07 AM   #14
Yaboze

I have a WD Black 1 TB 7200rpm, it's pretty good for a non SSD.

All of the WD Black models have been popular.
Yaboze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-10, 11:22 AM   #15
Maverick123w

Send a message via AIM to Maverick123w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaboze View Post
I have a WD Black 1 TB 7200rpm, it's pretty good for a non SSD.

All of the WD Black models have been popular.
Yeah the new 64MB models would make me question ever buying a Raptor.
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-10, 11:36 AM   #16
bacon12

Got mines in yesterday, will be installing soon.

bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-10, 11:42 AM   #17
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon12 View Post
Got mines in yesterday, will be installing soon.

country of origin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick123w View Post
Yeah the new 64MB models would make me question ever buying a Raptor.
haha, cache got little to do with actual drive performance.
Old 09-28-10, 11:56 AM   #18
bacon12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
country of origin?
Says product of Korea in blue below and left of the x'ed out trash can figure.
Old 09-28-10, 11:59 AM   #19
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

nice, i try to avoid HDD made in China.
Old 09-28-10, 12:54 PM   #20
Maverick123w

Send a message via AIM to Maverick123w

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
country of origin?

haha, cache got little to do with actual drive performance.
Yes I know that.... but the new drives are a good deal faster than the older blacks. It's just easier to differentiate themselves by the amount of cache.
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-10, 09:44 AM   #21
technoid

I received my Samsung 2TB drive yesterday but the box was beat up pretty bad. I sure hope the drive did better than the box. I'll put links below to three pictures of the box and one of the drive.

The worst damage. The box is actually ripped open.

The other end of the box was mildly crunched.

The packing material after I opened the worst damaged end of the box.

The drive itself. Some of the dimples in the plastic box was mildly crunched.

I haven't installed the drive yet but I will later today, hopefully the drive is okay. I guess I better do a full sector scan to make sure. I hate those because they take so long. Does anyone else think the packing of the drive wasn't good enough. The drive actually moved around in the box if you tilted it from side to side. Packing material is cheap, they should put enough to secure the drive.
Old 10-02-10, 07:45 AM   #22
technoid

I guess I'm officially pissed. I installed the new Samsung 2TB drive last night and ran the Samsung Diagnostic test on it and it failed. But the results are a little confusing so I thought I'd see if anyone has any ideas on it. I'll put what I did below.

I went to the Samsung website and looked up my hard drive (HD204UI) and downloaded the diagnostic software listed for it (ESTOOL v3.01p). Then I made a boot floppy and ran the test.

The first time I ran it I skipped the READ SURFACE SCAN test and everything passed. Then I decided I better run the full scan since the box was beat up so bad. So I ran the test again but this time when it ask me if I wanted to do the READ SURFACE SCAN test I said yes and went to bed.

If I remember correctly I did NOT exit ESTOOL after the first run I just selected the test again but this time when it prompted me about the READ SURFACE SCAN test I said yes. I woke up about 2AM or so and the test was almost done so I set and watched it finish. Just as the READ SURFACE SCAN test reached 100% an ERROR box popped up and said there was a failure and said I should do a ERASE HDD and run the test again and if it failed contact support. The error report is kinda strange so if you're interested here's a link to a picture I took of the screen.

Error box just as read surface scan test completed

Then I hit the enter key and the picture below shows the results.

Test results after I hit the enter key

As you can see the test results shows the READ SURFACE SCAN test passed but the RAM VERIFY TEST failed. So I suppose since that test is right after the surface scan that's why I got the error box just as the read surface scan test hit 100%, the RAM test was so fast you couldn't see any time delay between the surface test ending and the RAM test failing.

So I ran the diagnostic test two more times right after that failure but skipped the Surface Scan test and the RAM test passed both times. SO... the RAM test passed the first time I ran the test, then failed when I ran the Surface Scan the second time, but the RAM test passed the Third and Fourth times I ran the diagnostic.

So my question is this. Was the RAM test failure possibly a fluke because of the 6 Hour Surface Scan test and maybe isn't a real failure? I don't want to keep the drive if it's a real failure but maybe since the RAM test only failed right after the Surface Scan test but not the other Three Times I ran it, maybe it's a fluke caused by the 6 Hour long Surface Scan. So any opinions?

The Samsung test kept a log on the floppy so I'll attach it here too. As far as I remember I did NOT exit the Samsung Diagnostic at anytime and restart it, all of the tests were done during a single run of it.

I'm not sure what the error box meant when it said to do an ERASE HDD and retest. I don't remember a selection in the menu that said ERASE HDD. I think I'll reboot and run the test again and make a picture of the main screen to see what it says. I'll come back and add the picture once I'm done.

EDIT:

I just took a picture of the ESTOOL main menu. Maybe the error box was talking about using the LOW LEVEL FORMAT option and then retest. Again, any ideas? Of course I'll call Samsung and see what they say too.

The drive is very quiet running, as in idle mode, but the Seeks aren't that quiet. I haven't formatted it yet but you can hear the drive do a few seeks when the computer boots up. Before I ran the surface scan I used the diagnostic program to turn the AAM to QUIET, but the seeks are still plainly heard when the computer boots up. A quiet drive to me means both idle and seek noise. So I would warn that this isn't an extremely quiet drive as far as seek noise is concerned. Of course I should probably wait till I get one formatted to say that for sure.

It also runs pretty cool, the program I have to monitor hard drives shows it at 34c right now. I have a very quiet case with only one fan at the rear running slow, so I think the drive runs very cool. The WD 500G I have right below it is running at 40c right now for reference.

Here's the picture of the main menu
Attached Files
File Type: log BZ803283.LOG (4.0 KB, 45 views)
Old 10-03-10, 02:16 PM   #23
technoid

Hum... I guess no one has any thoughts about my problem with the Samsung HD204UI 2TB.

I'm thinking about keeping the hard drive since the only issue is failing the RAM test when it exits the 6 hour long full surface scan. I can run the Samsung diagnostics over and over and everything passes if I skip the full surface scan. And both times I ran the full surface scan it passed okay. I don't usually take any chances with a hard drive but for some reason I think this is a problem with their diagnostic and not a problem with the hard drive. Everytime I run the diagnostic the RAM test passes, except at the end of the full surface scan, and that's why I think it's an issue with the diagnostic program and not the hard drive itself. If the RAM is bad it should fail the test at least sometime other than at the end of the full surface scan. And I've ran the diagnostic 12 times, and only at the exit of the full surface scan did the RAM test fail.

I called Samsung about this issue but the guy I talked to was clueless. I wish I had asked to speak to a level 2 guy because the person I talked to didn't know much at all and just wanted to say anything to get rid of me.

Oh well, think of it this way, it's only 2TB of movies I'll loose if the drive fails
Old 10-03-10, 02:50 PM   #24
bacon12

Raid 1 or higher would solve any worries you have.