Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-23-10, 01:44 AM   #13
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen

Default Re: Interesting PhysX Blog

PhysX is great effect if used properly. Otherwise it adds nothing. How long has PhysX been around? Yeah, it has been few years and we still don't see a huge push for it. Far few games that take advantage of it like Cryostasis. Other games that supports PhysX are usually lame and hardly worth to talk about, let alone get them to work with right drivers.

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP | 4GB G.Skill F2-6400PHU1 @ 800MHz 4-4-3-5 | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB | Western Digital Raptor X 150GB | Samsung 32" HDTV | Windows 7 Professional x64

Note: English is my second language so please bear with my grammar!
NaitoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-10, 05:06 AM   #14
wysiwyg

i like physx

and its better than the fake physics scripted animated destruction in Bad Company 2
wysiwyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-10, 05:06 AM   #15
Viral
Registered User of Women

Until we get an open standard I doubt we'll see physics effects that have an actual effect on gameplay. This is what I'm waiting for. So far, scripted is filling the void in that regard well enough.

Acer TravelMate 4002WNLCi: Pentium M 725 @ 1.6GHz | Mobility Radeon 9700/64MB | 2GB DDR400 | 15.4" WXGA
Viral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-10, 05:58 AM   #16
Vardant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
He pretty much sums my feelings about this whole deal. Nothing I didn't know, but it's nice to see someone else with the same opinion.

Reading back, I also pretty much agree, that B3D is not what it used to be. Misinformations, full of fanATIcs...

On topic, PhysX isn't going anywhere, whether people like it or not. Siding with a company, that does nothing to further improve the gameplay experience is just dumb in my eyes.
Vardant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-10, 06:46 AM   #17
Rollo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vardant View Post
He pretty much sums my feelings about this whole deal. Nothing I didn't know, but it's nice to see someone else with the same opinion.

Reading back, I also pretty much agree, that B3D is not what it used to be. Misinformations, full of fanATIcs...

On topic, PhysX isn't going anywhere, whether people like it or not. Siding with a company, that does nothing to further improve the gameplay experience is just dumb in my eyes.
It's just annoying when people like Kanter make assertions based on the theoretical maximums of SSE.

I'm surprised he didn't add more ATi propaganda like, "It is clear the HD5870 could perform PhysX functions more than three times faster than a GTX480 because it has over three times the Stream Processors for extra parallel processing goodness! It's simple math!".

(while ignoring the inhgerent compiler inefficiency of the VLIW arch and differences in processing capacity of 4/5 of ATi's SPs)

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-10, 06:56 AM   #18
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral View Post
Until we get an open standard I doubt we'll see physics effects that have an actual effect on gameplay. This is what I'm waiting for. So far, scripted is filling the void in that regard well enough.
Again, OpenCL. Companies are already working on a physics engine that runs on OpenCL, and with both GPU's supporting it, voila, an open standard.

http://www.google.com/search?source=...AAAKoEBU_QEmpa

This will fail if Nvidia continues to force its proprietary solution down the consumer's throat, though.

ATI demoed OpenCL physics over a year ago (Inquirer, but shouldn't change the fact that it happened)

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...ysics-argument

Here's a video of Bullet physics. Looks like they started with OpenGL but are moving towards OpenCL based physics.

This video is remarkable.

ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-10, 07:06 AM   #19
Rollo

There aren't ANY OpenCL Bullet games I know of, the people who are angry PhysX "only" has about 20 games out won't be happy about that.

ATi has been trotting out demos of GPU accelerated physics effects for years, then they slink away muttering that someone should do this for them, and that the companies like Intel and NVIDIA who actually invest in accelerated physics for games are "evil" for not helping them out.

Rig 2:

[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Old 09-23-10, 07:09 AM   #20
Vardant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
This will fail if Nvidia continues to force its proprietary solution down the consumer's throat, though.

ATI demoed OpenCL physics over a year ago (Inquirer, but shouldn't change the fact that it happened)
Why would PhysX fail? It's an engine, even if OpenCL GPU supported Bullet comes out, it's still gonna take a while for proper tools to be developed and probably even longer before some AAA game uses it.

NV will have plenty of time to port it to OpenCL and with superior tools, they will still make enough money out of it.

We keep hearing about some ATI alternative since the day NV bought Ageia, I wouldn't hold my breath.
Vardant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-10, 07:14 AM   #21
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vardant View Post
Why would PhysX fail? It's an engine, even if OpenCL GPU supported Bullet comes out, it's still gonna take a while for proper tools to be developed and probably even longer before some AAA game uses it.

NV will have plenty of time to port it to OpenCL and with superior tools, they will still make enough money out of it.

We keep hearing about some ATI alternative since the day NV bought Ageia, I wouldn't hold my breath.
Reading comprehension fail...

I said an open implementation of physics based on OpenCL will fail if Nvidia forces PhysX down the consumer's throat.

Either way, I'm not holding my breath, because I really couldn't care less about rendered physics.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-10, 05:03 PM   #22
frenchy2k1

The problem is a typical chicken/egg problem.
1) Physics computation would be great to improve gameplay.
2) However, you cannot implement this if the Hardware necessary to run it is not widely available (as your target audience becomes too small).
3) if no game/program implements physics in an interesting way, no one buys the hardware.

=> back to square 2)

I somewhat expects the console to break the conundrum by adding HW supporting physics. Then developers will prepare impressive games and push for adoption.

As far as support and frameworks, PhysX is the most widespread and supports the most hardware, but as a proprietary Nvidia solution it limits its usefulness. Havok has Intel behind and will probably never support GPU or special units. Bullet may be ported to OpenCL, but despite AMD's marketing, Nvidia was the first one with full OpenCL drivers out the door, so NV would benefit as much as AMD.

I guees this part of the market needs time to mature and reach enough penetration for Physics effects to be integrated in the gameplay...
Old 09-23-10, 06:51 PM   #23
Viral
Registered User of Women

I agree with the above.

Bottom line is that for physics to be implemented in games in a crucial way the standard needs to be open to most hardware on the market. So either an open standard is pushed (openCL), or Nvidia take significant market share. I know which one I would prefer...

Acer TravelMate 4002WNLCi: Pentium M 725 @ 1.6GHz | Mobility Radeon 9700/64MB | 2GB DDR400 | 15.4" WXGA
Viral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-10, 08:31 PM   #24
Rollo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral View Post
I agree with the above.

Bottom line is that for physics to be implemented in games in a crucial way the standard needs to be open to most hardware on the market. So either an open standard is pushed (openCL), or Nvidia take significant market share. I know which one I would prefer...
LOL- what's a "crucial" way?

They've been pushing PhysX for a couple years, and there are about 20 games out. Personally I'd be pretty happy if 20 more games came out in the next two years as well. Even ten.

While I wish every game gave me the option of using PhysX effects, I'd certainly rather have it in some than none like ATi users have. Even if OpenCL open standard physics do come out, my guess is ATi won't provide any dev support like NVIDIA does and there will still be PhysX.

Rig 2: