Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows 7

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-22-10, 07:47 PM   #1
mojoman0

Default Laptop hangs at welcome screen ~7 minutes

My laptop recently started being very sluggish at boot. It takes forever to get into windows and have everything working. I don't use it very often so it has minimal software installed and shouldn't have any malware as I keep MSE running. Anyone else have this problem? I've created another user as I read they can become corrupted but booting into that user doesn't fix the problem. Thanks
mojoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-10, 12:02 AM   #2
PieEyedPiper

Send a message via ICQ to PieEyedPiper
Default Re: Laptop hangs at welcome screen ~7 minutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoman0 View Post
My laptop recently started being very sluggish at boot. It takes forever to get into windows and have everything working. I don't use it very often so it has minimal software installed and shouldn't have any malware as I keep MSE running. Anyone else have this problem? I've created another user as I read they can become corrupted but booting into that user doesn't fix the problem. Thanks
What version of windows are you running?
You say that this just started recently, meaning there was likely a single event that lead to this outcome. Try and retrace your steps, removing recent software, playing with settings, etc and of course drivers are a likely culprit, too.
This is all assuming you're not infected.

Otherwise, a rebuild might be in order. It's no nightmare I can rebuild a laptop start to finish in 30min sometimes.
PieEyedPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-10, 08:47 AM   #3
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

could be caused by many different issues.

1) hardware
2) software
3) drivers
4) malware

I would start by opening msconfig, do selective startup and unselect he ini files.

then in services, hide all MS services and disable everything else, in startup also disable all.

if computer boots up normal, then your problem is either malware or software.

from there start enabling things slowly, 2-3 startup or service options at a time and keep rebooting, until you again find one that might be causing delay.

if you are running windows 7, you can go into one of the extended event viewer catagories and find one that relates to startup and shutdown (can't check the name right now, since i'm using XP ) In there it will list name of program/driver or service that is causing a startup or shutdown delay.
Old 09-23-10, 11:48 AM   #4
Quick420

Why'd ya go back to XP? LOL. I do the dual boot,works a treat.I had some trouble with MS Genuine a week or so ago but a phone call cleared that up.
2x2gb Ddr2 1066mhz 4-4-4-12 1T
3xWD WD5000AAKS 500gb/sata300/ 1xSeagate 320gb Ide(tuuunz)
X-fi Fatality Pro*ASUS VH242H 24"LCD*:::Windoze 7-64bit:::
Sony DvD/Ram-Drive
Logitech G25
3dmark06 17,898 Vantage 12,851

If the light is GREEN the trap is clean
Quick420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-10, 01:08 AM   #5
JasonPC

Have you tried checking the harddrive for errors?

What are the specs of the laptop?
JasonPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-10, 08:05 PM   #6
mojoman0

Its a compaq f730us 1.8ghz amd dual core, 2gb ram, running windows 7 32 bit. There are no system restore entries before I started having this problem unfortunately. I tried rebooting with all non windows services off but same problem. I was able to do a registry edit to turn on verbose boot messages and it gets hung for quite a while displaying "waiting for the user profile service" but I can't find a fix for it. I hear hard drive activity during this time at constant intervals of around 4 seconds. Safe mode boots fine, so I still need to try disabling all startup items and see what happens. Will do now
Old 09-26-10, 08:28 PM   #7
mojoman0

turned off all startup programs and had no effect. About 2 months ago the wifi chip died in this laptop likely because its so hot where I live but replacing the chip did not solve the problem so that problem may lie deeper in hardware, however that issue did not immediately cause this boot problem
Old 10-10-10, 06:53 PM   #8
JasonPC

Try a fresh installation of windows?

Old 10-10-10, 07:40 PM   #9
betterdan

No usb device is plugged in is it? If my printer is on or my wife's cell phone is plugged in then my computer will take forever to boot up if it ever does at all.
I probably should go into bios and make sure bootup with usb device isn't listed first or even disable it if I can.

Also my wife's laptop with Vista didn't like The Witcher dvd being in the drive when it booted up, it would take an extra long time to come up to the welcome screen if it was in there. Took it out and bam , much quicker bootup into windows.
Old 10-10-10, 09:40 PM   #10
JasonPC

If safe mode boots up fast then it sounds like some driver or service is causing windows to take a long time to load.

Have you tried diagnostic startup in msconfig?
Old 10-15-10, 03:13 PM   #11
mojoman0

I'll give the bios usb thing a try. Actually while I was in the BIOS i found a hard drive test and it came back with an error #2-07. Seems nobody on the internet knows exactly what it means, but some type of hd error. I downloaded the hitachi hd analyzer tools which boot from a dvd. I can start the test but eventually it always freezes. Now looking for another hd tester utility.
Old 10-15-10, 03:23 PM   #12
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

you could test the HDD in another PC.

just hook it up to your desktop and test the HDD, it it hangs again then there is something wrong with the HDD, if it passes, then there is something wrong with laptop maybe motherboard, sata or ide controller etc..