Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Mobile Devices And Smartphones

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-10-10, 12:03 PM   #25
betterdan

Default Re: Galaxy S Captivate and Fascinate updates

Not worried about 3G, I want it to use 3G while the screen is off. The option I have on is to turn off wifi when the display goes off and enable the mobile connection. I believe the wifi connection uses more power but I could be wrong.
It is working in that it turns the wifi off and uses the mobile connection. The problem is when I wake it back up after a while it shows the wifi connects but it still won't let you do anything. I am thinking when the phone shuts it off automatically it never reenables it correctly so you have to reboot. If I select to never shut off wifi then this will probably solve the problem but possibly eat up more battery power.
Old 10-10-10, 12:11 PM   #26
snowmanwithahat
Snowy

This may be different between our phones, but I know for a fact that the 3g connection uses more battery power on the epic.

People seem to attribute this to the fact that they're using a wrapper (lame) to make the software see it as a GSM radio, and then the driver wraps it to work with the CDMA radio, causing a major battery drain (extra-lame). Also they buggered up the radio on this and its constantly searching for signals in the GSM range of frequencies leading to a high time-without-signal.

My general understanding has been that wifi is usually better on a battery than 3g, that may be different though between different carriers / network types
8gb (4x2gb) OCZ Gold DDR2-800 (5-4-4-12)
MSI+ASUS GTX 470 SLI
Dell u3011 IPS Display
HP 22" Auxiliary Monitor
256gb Western Digital Silicon Edge Blue SSD
5x2tb RAID-5 Array
750W PC P&C PSU
Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit & Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit

---Gaming Laptop---
ASUS G53JW
Core i7 740QM
16gb DDR3
Nvidia GTX 460m
1tb WD HDD
120gb Corsair SSD

Join the NvNews Folding @ Home Team
snowmanwithahat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-10, 12:14 PM   #27
betterdan

Ok, I'll just switch it to always leave wifi on. I wonder why they would have an option to turn it off when the display is off and use the mobile data connection instead though.

By the way, the Vibrant doesn't come with the radio.
Old 10-10-10, 06:21 PM   #28
betterdan

Well I had it set to always keep wifi on even when the screen goes off and what do you know it screwed up again. I was going to the store and decided to take the phone with me to test the GPS in the car. I wake up the screen and try to search Google places for the Food Lion down the street to get directions and nothing. It won't get on the web either. I turn wifi off and have a Mobile Edge data connection it shows but can't connect to the web. Have to reboot it again. AARGGGG
Anyways, the damn thing comes up after the reboot and ios acting fine again. So I tell it I want to go to Food Lion and it gives me directions and off I go. It works pretty well till I get to a stop sign then it thinks I'm still moving and pass my turn so it decides to reroute me. When I take off from the stop sign it reroutes me again then it takes me to Food Lion.
Now coming back home it sucked more ass than Oprah in a whirlpool. I tell it to take me home and the damn thing never can figure out where it is the whole 7 minute trip back home. It keeps thinking I'm way off somewhere else. I have a GPS lock too and it says 10m accuracy. Bullsh!t, it is trying to tell me I am about 50m away from where i really am. I think my wife may be mad at me too because according to it I bypassed the bridge home and just drove straight through the damn water in her car
Even when I got home I sat in the car outside the house and it thought I was down the road sitting in the ocean and still saying 10m accuracy. WTF I turn off the GPS and let it use wireless locations and it gets me closer to the house then the GPS does and plus it doesn't think I'm in the ocean but actually on my street a few houses down.
At least before when I got a lock it was pretty accurate and never more than 15-20m off of where I really was. Now this damn thing is worse off than before.

My wife was just complaining yesterday saying she wanted my phone since it could do so much and I could have her Garmin phone. I may take her up on that. This thing is aggravating to say the least. But then again I'd be passing my problem onto my wife and then I'd still have to hear all about it's ignorant ways.

I should have just stuck with a Tracfone I guess...
Old 10-17-10, 03:05 PM   #29
betterdan

Found out the wifi being shut off then coming back on when the screen is active is not the problem.
The problem with the wifi appears after having the phone plugged into the usb port on the computer. After I am through charging it, moving files or whatever then the wifi acts retarded.
I have been charging it with the wall charger and car charger and the problem hasn't came back.
The GPS was still stuck last Monday when I tried to use it. It was still saying I was in the ocean I waited patiently and a few minutes later it corrected itself and showed my actual location.