Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-28-10, 12:29 PM   #1
Sean_W

Angry Top 5 most annoying things with PC games.

What's your top five most annoying things to do with PC games?

1. Press any key to continue.

Why? I want to get to the main menu. Why the fuc* do I have to press a key all the time to get there?

2. Cannot skip credits or game intros.

Comes on, Why the fuc* does the developer have to lock your keyboard out during the intro or credits? Even if it's the first time.

3. Xbox controllers.

So you've detected that I've got a XBox controller plugged in and try to override my keyboard and mouse or only half activate one.

4. Installs the latest directX and C++.

Just detect that I have them, don't just keep reinstalling them every friggin time I install a game.

5. You need to create an account to play this game or online.

What? I might need to create two accounts to start playing the game, like GTA IV did. Why can I just not fuc**** play?

Bonus: Make the menu system complex

Burnout Paradise, Dirt2 have crazy menu systems and confuse the crap out of people.

Last edited by Sean_W; 11-29-10 at 01:09 PM.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-10, 12:35 PM   #2
grey_1

Default Re: Top 5 most annoying things with PC games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
What's your top five most things with PC games?

Why? I want to get to the main menu. WTF do I have to press a key all the time to get there?

Comes on, WTF does the developer have to lock your keyboard out during the intro or credits? Even if it's the first time.

3. Being asked "Are you sure" 85 times when trying to quit a game.

Being asked just once is sufficient to make certain I didn't accidently try to quit. I really appreciate games that have a "quit to desktop" option like FEAR 2.

Just detect that I have them, don't just keep reinstalling them every friggin time I install a game.

What? I might need to create two accounts to start playing the game, like GTA IV did. Why can I just not fuc**** play?

Yup

I edited number 3 to reflect my other main gripe. I never use a controller, but this fits the bill pretty closely.
Old 11-28-10, 12:42 PM   #3
bob saget

Send a message via MSN to bob saget Send a message via Yahoo to bob saget

1. Retarded gameplay
2. Retarded story
3. Retarded voice acting
4. Retarded gameplay
5. Retarded story
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-10, 12:46 PM   #4
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob saget View Post
1. Retarded gameplay
2. Retarded story
3. Retarded voice acting
4. Retarded gameplay
5. Retarded story
hl2?

Old 11-28-10, 12:48 PM   #5
bob saget

no. prey
Old 11-28-10, 12:48 PM   #6
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob saget View Post
1. Retarded gameplay
2. Retarded story
3. Retarded voice acting
4. Retarded gameplay
5. Retarded story
I'm beginning to think this is a reflection of the person playing the game here...?

Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-10, 12:49 PM   #7
bob saget

no...thats not....accurate....
Old 11-28-10, 01:12 PM   #8
LydianKnight
Registered Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
What's your top five most things with PC games?

Why? I want to get to the main menu. WTF do I have to press a key all the time to get there?

Comes on, WTF does the developer have to lock your keyboard out during the intro or credits? Even if it's the first time.

3. Xbox controllers.

So you've detected that I've got a XBox controller plugged in and try to override my keyboard and mouse or only half activate one.

Bonus: Make the menu system complex

Like Burnout Paradise, Dirt2 have crazy menus systems and confuse the crap out of you.
1. Because current PC games still inherit that mode from arcade cabinets, the 'attractor' mode, which simply displays the game's logotype, brands, plus the usual 1-2 mins dumb gameplay.

While I don't like it, either... it's not that bad, come on

2. True, although a game without an introduction is like a movie without some background... but this is a matter of taste, so I understand your point and... agree (they could at least make for some internal counter which, if seen at least once, make you able to skip it).

3. Strange... are you using the 'original' Microsoft Xbox 360 controller for windows? I have a non-original one from SpeedLink (SL-6555-SBK) and I don't get my controls auto-swapped

But yeah... that sux -.-

4. The don't really do it... it's like the installer in some applications, they're just checking for some requirements, it's not really different from the ./configure --prefix=/usr <rest goes here...> we see in Linux. If you have some outdated library, ok... but if not, no problem, apart from the message box hassle, no real change is done (as far as I remember).

5. I couldn't agree more with you in this one. While I'm ok with GFWL, it's somewhat crappy to have it monitoring your progress and the like (more if you take into account I'm spanish and I have my system (GFWL included) in spanish but I really install all of my games in english so you get a mess with both in-game and GFWL messages xD).

-1 to Microsoft for this
LydianKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-10, 01:26 PM   #9
Drolfrawd

Send a message via MSN to Drolfrawd

For all the faults, they are still light years ahead of monket brained consoles!!
Drolfrawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-10, 01:28 PM   #10
methimpikehoses

definitely agree with 5... i would play dirt2 if it wasn't for the stupid consolized menu bull****.

yes, i am mad.
Old 11-28-10, 01:52 PM   #11
HiCZoK4

hl2 and prey are good games!

my 5 things bothering pc games would be: (from top of my head)

1)Slowdowns. There is rarely a game that runs 60fps all the time. Even if its old game and my pc is relevantly futuristic for it.(overall games requiments)
2)Anty-aliasing missing in some games or not being supported. Its best graphical effect imo. It gives best boost in graphics. So why not to include it in every game?
3)30fps lock in some retarded games ported from consoles... Even then their requiments are soo high that its unimaginable to imagine() how this can run so well on console while it is crippled on pc that is 30000times faster.
4) games hanging, bsod'ing, errors and all kind of ****s ups.
5) and offcourse DRM and all kind of ONLINE checks. WHY THE **** DO I HAVE TO BE ONLINE AND CHECK FOR ANYTHING OR DOWNLOAD INSTALATION if I bought the damn game!?
It all started with HL2. And while its one of my favourite games... I hate it for being this succesfull with that type of DRM becouse ir popularized this ****.

Special place for PHYSX! This is just a cash and marketing rip of. Only worked in couple of games... like Cryostasis. But still it is not soo much for high requiments
HiCZoK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-10, 05:51 PM   #12
LydianKnight
Registered Knight

Ok, my 'Top 3'...

1. Price. Some seem to be ok with a game costing $60/60€, but not me. I don't give a f*** about how many cars or houses do the managerial staff have to pay for, to each his/her own... BUT a Hollywood movie costs WAY more than a videogame, and I'm not asked $60/60€ to watch a movie at a theater... just 6. Same for owning it, 20-30, not 60. Get the lesson learned, clever guys.

2. Incoherent design. This one goes for Crytek and the likes. We live in a world full of options, something very respectable, but even if I had $5000 to build one of the most powerful gaming machines in the planet, I would chose not to. That kind of extreme hardware is for those who don't have anything better to spend their money in, but it doesn't apply to the vast majority of gamers population (like me). Technical demonstrations are for Siggraph and other specialized places dedicated to image synthesis, thanks. For the rest... make a game that runs decently on an average machine. 'We' are not asking for a high-tech game to run on something like a Spectrum 48k, just... a middle-to-high end machine would be ok.

3. Lack of creativity. I'm a gamer, yes... I like FPS, yes... but come on... it's not the only profitable kind of videogames nowadays... from MMORPGs to racing games, from platform adventures to puzzle games... and all we can expect from the 'Tier 1' games is shooting people like crazy and driving the latest car models on the planet with lots of reflections and glossy notes to the 'experience' but with 0 damage (a.k.a. made for pussies) and (like slawter said) inaccurate track making?

We're still waiting for things like... a good Metal Gear Solid remake for the PC (not the kind of lame bacon-and-eggs re-fried version we got), or Resident Evil 2, or just...

... bring in the old spirit of gaming, where games were fun even if they were just a bunch of un-filtered pixels on the screen and a lame buzzer screwing your ear... but maybe it's too late and developers have become a bunch of rotten potatoes, brain-wise...

LydianKnight is offline   Reply With Quote