Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > General Software

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-26-10, 02:39 PM   #1
LurkerLito

Default MS quitely Reduces Technet keys!

http://www.hardocp.com/news/2010/09/...s_technet_keys

So from 10 to 2 for standard users and from 10 to 5 for professional. Sorry but to me that is BS. Sure the EULA says they can change at anytime, but IMHO to change it without PRIOR notice especially for something as drastic as this should be illegal. I purchased a technet sub with the original conditions of having 10 available keys at my disposal, now I have been reduced to 2 so I should get an 80% refund IMO since I am getting 80% less even if I never have used more than 4 keys total for one product. And as usual the people using technet normally are screwed, but everyone that horded all the keys at once are fine.

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-10, 02:40 PM   #2
Redeemed

Default Re: MS quitely Reduces Technet keys!

Wow. That's pretty crappy.

If they don't do something to make up for this, I'll likely not renew my subscription next year.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-10, 04:34 PM   #3
grey_1

Quote:
"The reduction is due to an updated anti-piracy policy. More information will be made available for all customers soon."
So they're punishing everyone for a few scumbags, again. I just purchased a subscription about 1.5 months ago..this pisses me off.
Old 09-26-10, 04:36 PM   #4
bacon12

Yea taking away legit keys from legit users is gonna fight piracy.
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-10, 04:36 PM   #5
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
So they're punishing everyone for a few scumbags, again. I just purchased a subscription about 1.5 months ago..this pisses me off.
Yeah, I know.

It's still more keys than I'll ever need... but since we get less for our money, the subcription should cost less.

If they drop the subscription price to compensate... I'll reconsider renewing my account.
Old 09-26-10, 04:37 PM   #6
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon12 View Post
Yea taking away legit keys from legit users is gonna fight piracy.
Well... j0j081 comes to mind.

I'm sure he's not the only one.

However, that doesn't maket his fair for people whom don't abuse their account.
Old 09-26-10, 04:45 PM   #7
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Well... j0j081 comes to mind.

I'm sure he's not the only one.

However, that doesn't maket his fair for people whom don't abuse their account.
If jojo looks in here and sees this, I want him to know if I ever meet him face to face I'm going to sand his face down using the street and my boot. I hate frikken pirates.

Just logged in and sure enough the 2 keys I'm using for win7 and office 2010 are now showing maxed. No more available.

MS can forget a renewal from me.
Old 09-26-10, 04:54 PM   #8
Redeemed

Quote:
If jojo looks in here and sees this, I want him to know if I ever meet him face to face I'm going to sand his face down using the street and my boot. I hate frikken pirates.

Just logged in and sure enough the 2 keys I'm using for win7 and office 2010 are now showing maxed. No more available.

MS can forget a renewal from me.
Isn't each technet key, an MAK? So even though it's only two keys, wont each key still work on like 10 rigs or something?

Old 09-26-10, 04:56 PM   #9
grey_1

Quote:
Isn't each technet key, an MAK? So even though it's only two keys, wont each key still work on like 10 rigs or something?
I don't think so bro...it would be nice, but when I first bought the sub. it showed 10 available, now it shows 2. I'll have to look into that.
Old 09-26-10, 05:01 PM   #10
Redeemed

Quote:
I don't think so bro...it would be nice, but when I first bought the sub. it showed 10 available, now it shows 2. I'll have to look into that.
Well, I've only requested one key, and have it on about 7 different machines. All the same key. All activated without issue.

I believe each key is good for 10 computers, then you have to request a new key.

This mean if you have a total of 2 keys, you can use the software on a total of 20 computers. Still far more than I need.

However, they better not charge us the same amount even though we're getting less for our money. That's what mostly has me riled.
Old 09-26-10, 05:16 PM   #11
grey_1

Quote:
Well, I've only requested one key, and have it on about 7 different machines. All the same key. All activated without issue.

I believe each key is good for 10 computers, then you have to request a new key.

This mean if you have a total of 2 keys, you can use the software on a total of 20 computers. Still far more than I need.

However, they better not charge us the same amount even though we're getting less for our money. That's what mostly has me riled.
Ok, I'll give it a try and read up on it more. Sounds like you're right about that. Still ticks me off though.
Old 09-26-10, 05:18 PM   #12
Redeemed

Quote:
Ok, I'll give it a try and read up on it more. Sounds like you're right about that. Still ticks me off though.
Oh, I hear ya'. If they don't drop the price I'm not renewing.

And I mean more than a $10 price drop. I'm not paying the same just to get less.