Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > General Software

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-26-10, 06:33 PM   #13
Bearclaw

I am all for this. Honestly, who needs 10 keys got every software anyway? That being said, dropping the available keys 80%, they should drop the price 80%.
Old 09-26-10, 06:35 PM   #14
Redeemed

Default Re: MS quitely Reduces Technet keys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearclaw View Post
I am all for this. Honestly, who needs 10 keys got every software anyway? That being said, dropping the available keys 80%, they should drop the price 20%.
At the least 20%.

However, I just noticed I've got 5 keys available still... I honestly had no idea I had a "professional" account.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-10, 07:04 PM   #15
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Perhaps current subs keep their 10 keys for each product, but new and renewals after a certain date get the 2 keys per product.

2 keys is ok for me. I get 2 for each 32bit variant and two for each 64bit variant, that's a lot of OSes. I only run 5 PCs right now. One came with 7, one has 32bit Home 7, the others have 64 bit Ultimate 7.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-10, 07:28 PM   #16
LurkerLito

Yeah you can activate each key multiple times so your Technet key could work on 10 different systems, but if you do that I don't believe you can reactivate it once you run out of activations (though I might be wrong about that). If you are using it to test with virtual computer software that you reinstall often it was advised you just don't activate, but if that was the case then why would I have subscribed to technet when all the retail discs have 30 day trials anyway. Technet was useful as a time saver for test systems that you knew might/probably would get screwed up and didn't want to reinstall the OS every 30 days. You only had to reinstall when it was very messed up.

Bearclaw technet is not really suppose to be used for anything but testing though I am sure many people use it for their own home PCs. So while you are correct that most people will not need 10 keys of almost everything MS has, that does not apply to technet as the service. You are paying to be able to a) keep up with the latest MS software and OSes and to test them in your environment, and b) to do it without many of the problems you'd run into if you had a retail copy. I have a WinXP virtual computer to test programs, I consider it a throw away system so I can just literally erase the virtual HD off my real HD and start from scratch if something screws up. I have only done this 3x with one key figuring if I go over 10 activations I'd just be able to get a new serial number. With it's current policy I am already over the number of keys allowed for me to have. It makes technet significantly less useful.

FYI dropping 80% and getting a 20% price drop won't cut it. Technet was always a single subscription type till recently. They made a standard version to address people that didn't need the enterprise software (guesstimate 10% of the available software) and dropped the sub price by 40%. I wouldn't resubscribe to them for anything less than 50% drop on the current price (that would be $75 max to renew a standard sub) with it's current drop in service and I would expect at least additional 2 keys per software on renewal.

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-10, 07:31 PM   #17
bacon12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearclaw View Post
I am all for this. Honestly, who needs 10 keys got every software anyway? That being said, dropping the available keys 80%, they should drop the price 20%.
Not really why most ppl are upset. Its the fact they did so without a word, and we bought one product that is suddenly something far less than when we did.
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-10, 07:34 PM   #18
grey_1

Thanks for the in depth explanation LurkerLito. I run 5 PCs right now, but am using nix on a couple, so this shouldn't be an issue. I didn't realize I could do multiple activations on a key, and as I reinstall rarely, I'll have win8 before I need to worry about it.

I would expect the price drop though, and standard is all I'm using.
Old 09-26-10, 07:35 PM   #19
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon12 View Post
Not really why most ppl are upset. Its the fact they did so without a word, and we bought one product that is suddenly something far less than when we did.
Exactly.
Old 09-26-10, 09:10 PM   #20
Bearclaw

Sorry guys - I has a typo. Meant 80% drop in accordance with the 80% key drop. Not 20%.

Old 09-27-10, 12:09 AM   #21
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon12 View Post
Yea taking away legit keys from legit users is gonna fight piracy.

Isn't this what all companies do, screw over legitimate consumers?
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-10, 12:13 AM   #22
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

You still essentially are getting 20 system activations with 2 keys x 10 systems each (IIRC, you get 10 per key).

Seriously, y'all signed up for a Technet account so you could get access to the entire library at minimal cost or because you wanted 100 systems to be simultaneously active?

I swear, people find the most ridiculous reasons to complain.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-10, 08:14 AM   #23
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Isn't each technet key, an MAK? So even though it's only two keys, wont each key still work on like 10 rigs or something?
no
Old 09-27-10, 08:16 AM   #24
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Well, I've only requested one key, and have it on about 7 different machines. All the same key. All activated without issue.

I believe each key is good for 10 computers, then you have to request a new key.

This mean if you have a total of 2 keys, you can use the software on a total of 20 computers. Still far more than I need.

However, they better not charge us the same amount even though we're getting less for our money. That's what mostly has me riled.
the only "mak" key for win7 is for Win7 Enterprise, not the Ultimate, Pro etc...

rest are retail keys(same as bought from store), and retail keys will activate multiple machines. Just like you can install retail Win7 on different hardware, but you only supposed to use it on ONE MACHINE. So when you will need re-activations because of hardware change/upgrades, you will be screwed.