Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-29-03, 04:24 AM   #25
ecarter

Send a message via AIM to ecarter

Where's the changelog from 4363? The website says to see the readme file, but I couldn't find it there. Which section of the readme is it in?
ecarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-03, 04:50 AM   #26
jkyamog

Default Audio problems, 4496 stutters

Hi,

I have upgraded from 4363 to 4496. After the upgrade the audio stutters. Reverting back to 4363, things are fine again.

Hardware is:

Shuttle SB51G - i845GE chipset using ALI AL650 built in sound. I have a 5200 FX card. Using alsa for sound.

Can any one point me to direction of possible options to look at?

- I have seen people discuss about MTRR, seems to be not a good option for me.
- swap cards. I can't swap them. They are built in.

Any other ideas?
jkyamog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-03, 04:55 AM   #27
vrtainment

Default 4496

Hi,

installed the new driver on a Ti4800 Suse8.2 box ... 3d apps were half of the speed as before using 4363.
Any settings in XF86config which are particularly crticial for the performance of the new driver?

hartwig
vrtainment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-03, 08:11 AM   #28
merlin42

Default Re: Audio problems, 4496 stutters

Quote:
Originally posted by jkyamog
Hi,

I have upgraded from 4363 to 4496. After the upgrade the audio stutters. Reverting back to 4363, things are fine again.

Hardware is:

Shuttle SB51G - i845GE chipset using ALI AL650 built in sound. I have a 5200 FX card. Using alsa for sound.

Any other ideas?
First check stupid stuff (I dont want to be patronizing but I have done the whole 'whooops its unplugged' thing a b4):
Make sure all your tests were done in the same environment, in particular I have had 'random' audio stutter problem that turned out to be caused by a copy of esd that would not always start up, and caused problems when it did. btw does anyone actually use/like esd?!?

OK with that out of the way you may want to look at: http://www.geocities.com/phileosopho...cilatency.html
****WARNING**** Messing with PCI latencies can royally foobar your computer so be CAREFULL !!!!

To adjust PCI latencies under linux you can use setpci which is part of the pci-utils package.

It may be that the new drivers are pushing your graphics card harder to the point of starving other devices for time/cycles. Even though the AGP bus is kindof seperate from the normal PCI bus I think they still do intereact at a bridge in the northbridge chip.

I don't think the article I pointed to does much to explain what 'pci latency' is, but in my understanding it is the maximum number of bus cycles that a single device can use the PCI bus continuously, so if the number is too high for a certain device it means that other devices have to wait longer before they can begin grabbing the data they need. This could theoretically cause the audio card to not get its data in time causing it to stutter.

In general having a high pci latency for a particular device will cause that device to perform better at the expense of other devices, while too low of a value can degrade performance for the whole system since the pci bus would spend too much time in overhead tasks (setting up transactions etc...) so when tweaking these values you need to find the sweet spot b/w throughput and latency that makes everyone happy.

DISCLAIMOR: I am a 'software guy', I have very little formal training in hardware or PCI busses (or hardware busses of any sort) so I could be talking out of my @$$ right now.
merlin42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-03, 09:16 AM   #29
gladex

Default TV tuner updates?

Andy,
Thanks for the new drivers. Wondering if there was additional support added for the Philips TV encoder that seemed to be incomplete (or non-existent for some) in the previous driver. Any tidbits of information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
gladex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-03, 09:40 AM   #30
aliotti

Question driver old question

Anybode tested in Suse 8.1 and have success ?
aliotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-03, 11:02 AM   #31
ARIZMENDI

Send a message via ICQ to ARIZMENDI
Default Re: installer dependencies

Quote:
Originally posted by asbam
The nividia-installer with driver 4496 is linked against GLIBC 2.2, which means it won't run on my system. The nvidia-installer with driver 4363 works just fine. Could you provide a version of the installer that isn't linked against GLIBC 2.2?

(I tried using the old installer, but it barfed.)
hY ... the answer is simple ...
ANd may not require MAYOR PROGRAMING ...
plz install GLibc 2.2 wich is more better than Older releases IN fact it can boost a 20 or 25 % more
depending on you pc resources Of course..
I mean you can have both glibc instalations at the same time WIth no problems at all

Depending of your LInux DIstro INstall
RPMS or .tar.gz the programs will search for the libraries of glibc 2.2 they need without interfiering WIth the other glib instalation

ANd boila ...
nvdriver working

Greetings
Old 07-29-03, 11:10 AM   #32
ARIZMENDI

Quote:
Originally posted by jkyamog
Hi,

Hardware is:

Any other ideas?
Ali Sound Is not that bad, YOu can COmpile your kernel With the sound driver included IN the core of it, and not modular I REPEAT NOT MODULAR .. Builtin ... check in your kernel And compile it Bultin ...

Cya

Old 07-29-03, 12:08 PM   #33
jkyamog

Thanks merlin42 and ARIZMENDI.

Normally I have my PCI latency set to 2x than the normal when I used to play games. But this time it just set to default which is 32 I think. I will try adjust this one out later.

But take note. Only the driver has changed. This is the only variable that I changed. CPU usage it not going up. Its like the time slicing is different. I will look into using direct alsa on xmms and mplayer.

I am not sure if alsa modules can be compiled in and not as module.

I will look into it further, I have a lot of deadlines. Since the software that I am developing does not deal with graphics I am ok. I can't fiddle with it right now.

Anyone else has experienced the same problem that I am encountering?
Old 07-29-03, 12:30 PM   #34
ARIZMENDI

Default Re: Re: Audio problems, 4496 stutters

Maybe we have a confusion here, alsa is a modular sound driver , if you compile your sound card directly to your kernel you will not need no extra software anymore to make the sound card work...
NO alsa anymore no other modular driver anymore ... only your kernel and you ..

In tecnical Language less child proceses

If anyone has a sound card performance problem please consider Compiling YOur sound card directly by compiling in kernel the apropiate non modular driver for your card

THat mean Less Mem Usage and better audio performance ... of course better computer overall perfomance

GReetings
Arizmendi
Old 07-29-03, 12:31 PM   #35
ARIZMENDI

Default Re: Re: Re: Audio problems, 4496 stutters

Quote:
Originally posted by ARIZMENDI
Maybe we have a confusion here, alsa is a modular sound driver , if you compile your sound card directly to your kernel you will not need no extra software anymore to make the sound card work...
NO alsa anymore no other modular driver anymore ... only your kernel and you ..

In tecnical Language less child proceseSs

If anyone has a sound card performance problem please consider Compiling YOur sound card directly by compiling in kernel the apropiate non modular driver for your card

THat mean Less Mem Usage and better audio performance ... of course better computer overall perfomance

GReetings
Arizmendi
Old 07-29-03, 12:57 PM   #36
jkyamog

Thanks ARIZMENDI,

I will see if I can compile the modules. Although after some experience with having your kernel config and built by yourself. I did find it that is better of to use stock kernels for your desktop. Saves me some time, which I currently have little now.

Even for the servers that I used to manage, custom kernels gets every amount of performance. At a great expense of managability. After a couple of years a new person comes in, he has to figure things out. Custom kernel comes at a price.

I will put that option as down on my list. I don't need to eeekk out every drop of performance of my machine. The lost productivity time there as I have experienced is not that good. It was nice though having to get the ac patches, XFS, etc. But over time at least for me, that it was better for me to use a distro like RH and apt-get.

BTW, another benefit of 0 modules is that if offers a better degree of security in the server. Although I think in 2.5 kernel you can do an echo on /proc somewhere and disable the module loading.

Anyone has experience a similar problem I have? 4496 somehow stutters the sound a bit. While the older one 4363 runs ok.