Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-31-03, 07:56 AM   #61
alien999999999

Send a message via ICQ to alien999999999

well, this new release did add support for stereo cards which wasn't there before, and it is on the todo list, so in time it will be corrected, but the time between this and the previous release was quite long, and i think more pressing matters are corrected first, but I can't tell you anything, cause I'm not from there, but it looks like that they're busy with stereo....

guess you'll have to see...

PS: you developping? which project? I'm developping on
http://sourceforge.net/projects/oriongame
Old 07-31-03, 09:31 AM   #62
saruman

Default Re: Virtual terminal problem

Quote:
Originally posted by lino
Is anyone experiencing VT-switching problems?
Yes, that's me! ;-( Switching from X to framebuffered VESA (plain, no rivafb) console just gives me a blank console with no prompt and some colorful lights: I can switch back to X and have it restored though. Exiting from X completely doesn't do anything good since the problem persists: I can only "reboot" (typing without seeing is a bit difficult for me ;-).

This is pretty annoying since with the same kernel (2.4.22-pre9) the 4463 drivers worked perfectly, and these 4496 not. Asus P8P800 (intel 865PE chipset here) with gf4 mx 440 64M.

Suggestions (other than switching back to 44663)?

Cheers,
saruman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-03, 12:14 PM   #63
peter birch

Got it. Installed it on my Dell Laptop with LindowsOS 4.0

Love it so far - no problems. I am most excited about the start of APM support - I would love to be able to suspend the thing and actually have it come back to life afterward
peter birch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-03, 12:35 PM   #64
Toby Haynes

Default Re: Re: Virtual terminal problem

Quote:
Originally posted by saruman
Yes, that's me! ;-( Switching from X to framebuffered VESA (plain, no rivafb) console just gives me a blank console with no prompt and some colorful lights: I can switch back to X and have it restored though. Exiting from X completely doesn't do anything good since the problem persists: I can only "reboot" (typing without seeing is a bit difficult for me ;-)
Cheers,
This is a bit of a me-too post.

I'm running Mandrake Cooker (living on the bleeding edge) and I also get the super-large text in the virtual terminals when switching from X back to the vt.

That said, the vts are fine before X is started - I can boot to run level 3 and work fine at the text consoles. A startx and quit later and everything is borked.

My current hardware (put in last night) is a Geforce 4 MX 440 card, replacing a TNT2U. Alas I can't remember clearly whether the vts were screwed up with the TNT2U - my recollection is that they were fine but I could be mistaken.

One other problem I noticed - in UrbanTerror (quake 3 mod, probably applies to Quake 3 as well) if I choose a display resolution which is not listed in XF86Config-4, the top and right edges of the screen are corrupted during the game. Totally freaked me out till I realised I'd picked 920x720 rather than 1024x768

This may be a problem with Quake3 offering bad resolutions...

Cheers,
Toby Haynes
Toby Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-03, 05:20 PM   #65
reticent

Send a message via ICQ to reticent
Default support for geforce fx5600 go

thx nvidia, the fx5600 go works great now
no more vesa/beta nv driver for me
reticent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-03, 08:24 PM   #66
SnapIT

Quote:
Originally posted by tolle
And did you remember to link /usr/src/linux to your current kernel?
Of course, and this is not an experimental kernel either, it's 2.4.21 stable...

The old drivers work somewhat well but not to the point where games don't hang every 20 minutes...
SnapIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-03, 08:30 PM   #67
SnapIT

Same thing in both my installs, i have one Slack - current installation and one Rock installation...

Just downloaded fresh kernel, unpacked, made oldconfig (i saved the old config) and the works and the same error still occurs...

I'm guessing it is some option in my config, so i will have to try to figure out what in my kernelconf it is that is causing the prob... this is something i could solve not only for me, but for anyone else too if i had access to the source...
SnapIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-03, 01:18 AM   #68
Imsadi

Send a message via ICQ to Imsadi
Thumbs down Suspend on Laptop

Hi,

trying the new driver, suspend -s works
on a dell inspiron 8200.
But there is one big problem - awakening the laptop again, the sound and the wireless card
did not work anymore. I have to do a cold boot
Is there anybody solving this problem ?

Best regards
Imsadi
Imsadi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-03, 01:32 AM   #69
clyde

Default Problems with nforce2 and new driver

I installed the new driver on an Nvidia nforce2 m/b and X is unstable. Jpeg files in Mozilla are rendered as garbage much of the time, and the cursor goes funny sometimes. Occasionally X goes into some kind of permanent loop.

These problems don't occur with the opensouce nv driver (though it has a couple of other issues).

I running this on an Aopen MK79G with Redhat 9, kernel 2.4.20-19 (Athlon RPM from Redhat).
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-03, 03:47 AM   #70
bahamot

Default Re: Problems with nforce2 and new driver

Quote:
Originally posted by clyde
I installed the new driver on an Nvidia nforce2 m/b and X is unstable. Jpeg files in Mozilla are rendered as garbage much of the time, and the cursor goes funny sometimes.
do u use gtk-2.2.2 ?
bahamot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-03, 07:07 AM   #71
clyde

Seems so - rpm reports gtk2-2.2.1-4. Is this a problem?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-03, 08:06 AM   #72
Karrde712

Default Kernel 2.6.0test2

Does anyone here know whether this new driver supports the 2.6 test kernel? Or is it a 2.2/2.4 only driver like the last one?
Karrde712 is offline   Reply With Quote