Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-07-10, 07:28 AM   #13
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Re: Minecraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
i tried the web browser version, i dont get it. boooring!
The browser version is just the sandbox gameplay. Buy the game to play Survival, way better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpistol View Post
Here's a nice little fan-made trailer.

If you've ever played the game, you'll understand the end...
Wow, that's a really cool movie about the game!!! I'll have to share that one.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-10, 09:06 AM   #14
FastRedPonyCar
Resident Tire Destroyer

Send a message via AIM to FastRedPonyCar

I haven't played it but from watching all these youtube videos, I can't really understand what the obsession is with the game...

is it just people get enjoyment from grinding away for hours building stuff or is there an actual point to it all?
4770k @ 4.45 ghz - ASUS Gryphon Mobo - 16 gigs Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 RAM - XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 H2o Cooling - EVGA GTX 680 @1325mhz - 128 gig Crucial RealSSD C300 - 150 gig Velociraptor +2.75 Terrabytes of WD Sata 3.0 storage - 910 watt PC P&C PSU - Corsair Obsidian 650D case

- Server -
Core I7 D0 revision 920 @ 3.75 ghz - ASUS P6T Deluxe - 12 Gigs Mushkin DDR3 1600 - Corsair HX 620 PSU - Noctua NH-U9B cooler - Coolermaster WaveMaster Case

- Laptop -
MSI 16F2-012
- i7 2630QM - GTX570m @ 750Mhz - 8 gigs HyperX 1866 - 120 gig OCZ Vertex 3 SSD- 750 gig Scorpio Black - BluRay - 95% Gamut Screen - IC Diamond goop
FastRedPonyCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-10, 09:21 AM   #15
wysiwyg

i dont understand either.

i tried the free online version but i just kept thinking i could be having fun with darksiders instead which is great fun

and all the videos look boring except the huge structure ones which wow for about 5 minutes
wysiwyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-10, 09:46 AM   #16
six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRedPonyCar View Post
I haven't played it but from watching all these youtube videos, I can't really understand what the obsession is with the game...

is it just people get enjoyment from grinding away for hours building stuff or is there an actual point to it all?
There is a "survival" mode when you purchase the game, so you have to build shelter, weapons, tools, etc in order to survive. Monsters come out at night too. You can also explore and find all kinds of really cool stuff. It's addictive for me.

The game is still under development too, so who knows what it will be like in a year or two.
Old 10-12-10, 02:30 PM   #17
LurkerLito

I bought the game and it's interesting, but the biggest issue for me is the low res graphics make it pretty hard to tell what anything is. I got this weird tear drop shaped black thing in my inventory I thought was coal, but it wasn't it's something else. I don't know what it is but I wasted a lot of time getting a bunch of it to make a torch but night fell I died in my hole in the wall cause it wasn't coal. I erased the save game started again.

Next time through, I got coal and made a torch made it through the night, but apparently the things in the night that kill you stay around in the day. I figured it's day so I walk around saw thing tall green tree like thing and boom it exploded and I died losing much of my stuff. Spawned quite away from my hole in the wall so spent most of the "day" trying to find my way back. Got there a little before the sun set and got no real play time just have to sit back and wait for dawn before I can explore again which is boring as hell.

I can see the game being interesting in the future, but honestly right now it's not good enough yet IMHO. They need to at least put up some on mouse over pop up boxes on the materials you have so you can tell what the stuff in your inventory is, it needs some faster way to remove all stuff from your crafting box slots since you will be using it a lot and gathering the separate boxes is just slow. And my biggest issue with it, is night time especially after you died and have no resources on you is boring. You can't go out really or you die, you can't craft since you have no resources so you just sit there and wait for what feels like forever doing nothing waiting for it to get brighter so you can actually do something in the game.

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-10, 03:48 PM   #18
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!

Send a message via AIM to Madpistol

I think you guys are being pretty critical of the alpha build of this game.... I repeat, it's an alpha build... it hasn't even reached the beta stages.

Give it some time. I'm pretty sure it will get better, but for a start, Minecraft is headed in the right direction.

MadPistol's Rig

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (RB-C3) @ 4Ghz, 1.425 Vcore, 1.25V NB VID
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan)
Gigabyte UD3H AM3 790GX motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 5870
PNY XLR8 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Titanium
OCZ Vertex II 120GB SSD (OS drive)
Western Digital 500GB Caviar (black)
Western Digital 640GB Blue
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech MX performance mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard
Corsair HX 750-watt Modular PSU
Antec Nine Hundred case
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
ASUS MK241 24" LCD
ACER X241W 24" LCD - RIP
Madpistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-10, 03:56 PM   #19
Roliath

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerLito View Post
And my biggest issue with it, is night time especially after you died and have no resources on you is boring. You can't go out really or you die, you can't craft since you have no resources so you just sit there and wait for what feels like forever doing nothing waiting for it to get brighter so you can actually do something in the game.
rule no. 1 about minecraft, don't make your starting hole far from spawn for this reason alone.

second thing, when you have enough saved up and can build far away than you can MINE back to your spawn and build a minecart so you can have a taxi to and from your spawn to your main base.

i will agree about the mouse overs though, at least an item name would kick ass
Old 10-12-10, 03:57 PM   #20
Roadhog
Resident Alien

I play the crap out of this. PM me if you want info to a server where you wont find any griefers and can build in a huge world.
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-10, 11:04 PM   #21
MaXThReAT

So I wasn't going to play this but I wanted to know what it was about so I watched a bunch of how to ut videos and I started to want to give it a try.
Well I went ahead and bought it and now I'm totally hooked, can't stop, can't wait to see whats next.
+1 for mouse over labels they would be very nice.
Evga 280 GTX 621/1349/2268
SB X-Fi FPS / Z-5500 + Buttkicker!

"Don't mind the posts, I've been around longer than most know."
MaXThReAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-10, 08:46 AM   #22
LurkerLito

After a while of playing I now love the game. I still need to find some red dust so I can make a compass. I haven't died in a long while now, I have 2 "homes", but if I die I can only really be sure to find the initial one. I got lost again and somehow found my 2nd home and have stayed there since.

I have mined so much already and haven't found a trace of any red dust, but I am going to keep digging till I do, I need that compass bad .

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-10, 09:09 AM   #23
FastRedPonyCar
Resident Tire Destroyer

Send a message via AIM to FastRedPonyCar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerLito View Post
After a while of playing I now love the game. I still need to find some red dust so I can make a compass. I haven't died in a long while now, I have 2 "homes", but if I die I can only really be sure to find the initial one. I got lost again and somehow found my 2nd home and have stayed there since.

I have mined so much already and haven't found a trace of any red dust, but I am going to keep digging till I do, I need that compass bad .

Just dig down. If you hit a cave and you're fairly deep, either walk around till you find lava (Which indicates that you're low enough to find any ore) or keep digging until you either hit the black unbreakable blocks or the red ore itself.

I found some lava in a big underground cave and I've got literally more red ore than I know what to do with. It's the diamonds that I'm after.

this helped me figure out the ore.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewto...p?f=35&t=28299

There is a legit process for efficiently mining for ore and once you figure out everything, it makes finding the right stuff a lot easier.

But yeah... chances are, if you can find lava in a deep cave, you're surrounded by redstone.
4770k @ 4.45 ghz - ASUS Gryphon Mobo - 16 gigs Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 RAM - XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 H2o Cooling - EVGA GTX 680 @1325mhz - 128 gig Crucial RealSSD C300 - 150 gig Velociraptor +2.75 Terrabytes of WD Sata 3.0 storage - 910 watt PC P&C PSU - Corsair Obsidian 650D case

- Server -
Core I7 D0 revision 920 @ 3.75 ghz - ASUS P6T Deluxe - 12 Gigs Mushkin DDR3 1600 - Corsair HX 620 PSU - Noctua NH-U9B cooler - Coolermaster WaveMaster Case

- Laptop -
MSI 16F2-012
- i7 2630QM - GTX570m @ 750Mhz - 8 gigs HyperX 1866 - 120 gig OCZ Vertex 3 SSD- 750 gig Scorpio Black - BluRay - 95% Gamut Screen - IC Diamond goop
FastRedPonyCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-10, 01:23 PM   #24
six_storm

If I had the bandwidth, I would host a server. I've actually got one running right now and will test it out this weekend. About every server I get into, people have built all kinds of crazy crap and kind of ruins it TBH. If my server runs decently, I can have it to where you guys can join for free and play via the browser!