Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-30-10, 08:15 AM   #1
dairy hick
*BANNED*

Default Xbox 360 questions

1. Does the Slim have any known equivalent to the RRoD?

2. If I hook it up through HDMI-->DVI to my Atlona miniDP-->DVI adaptor will that work?

3. What are the scaling options like?

Thanks!
dairy hick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-10, 09:41 AM   #2
ViN86

Default Re: Xbox 360 questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by dairy hick View Post
1. Does the Slim have any known equivalent to the RRoD?
Of course it does, it's still a 360.

Quote:
2. If I hook it up through HDMI-->DVI to my Atlona miniDP-->DVI adaptor will that work?
Why are you going from DVI to miniDP back to DVI? As long as the signal remains digital, I see no reason why it shouldn't work.

Quote:
3. What are the scaling options like?

Thanks!
The built in 360 scaler will scale practically all content (games, Netflix, movies, videos) to as high as 1080p. Whatever your TV supports.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-10, 10:13 AM   #3
dairy hick
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
Of course it does, it's still a 360.

Why are you going from DVI to miniDP back to DVI? As long as the signal remains digital, I see no reason why it shouldn't work.

The built in 360 scaler will scale practically all content (games, Netflix, movies, videos) to as high as 1080p. Whatever your TV supports.
What issues does it have that are equivalent to RRoD?

The atlona adaptor is for the Apple LED Cinema display and hooks to it through miniDP. It then has a dvi input so I can hook it to my GTX460's DVI out. I'll need an HDMI->DVI cable for the Xbox 360 though.

Thanks for the reply
Old 09-30-10, 10:19 AM   #4
Bearclaw

Quote:

The atlona adaptor is for the Apple LED Cinema display and hooks to it through miniDP. It then has a dvi input so I can hook it to my GTX460's DVI out. I'll need an HDMI->DVI cable for the Xbox 360 though.

Thanks for the reply
Uh, It will RROD and die.
Old 09-30-10, 11:06 AM   #5
ViN86

Quote:

Thanks for the reply
It still has ventilation/overheating issues, although it's a little better. I figured the miniDP was for the Apple display, they're like the only ones who use it. I think HDMI to DVI on the 360 should work. There's really no reason it shouldn't.
Old 10-01-10, 03:34 PM   #6
dairy hick
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
It still has ventilation/overheating issues, although it's a little better. I figured the miniDP was for the Apple display, they're like the only ones who use it. I think HDMI to DVI on the 360 should work. There's really no reason it shouldn't.
Well that sucks. I'll be sure to get an extended warranty.
Old 10-01-10, 03:48 PM   #7
Bearclaw

Quote:
Well that sucks. I'll be sure to get a PS3 instead.
Good idea.
Old 10-01-10, 03:54 PM   #8
HiCZoK4

Slim is as for now rrod free. If it overheats it will shut itself down and let You turn itself on after cooldown. But it never happens unless You towel that ****.

Its really quiet. 250gb allows for installing quite some games, so dvd is not spinnings while playing.

I have 360 Elite and I am happy with it.
Unless You can live without some great ps3 exclusives, You should go for 360. Also most of multi plat games are better on 360.
I prefer Gears of War series above every other games so choice was easy for me. Still. Some day I will get ps3 just for Uncharted 1 and 2.
HiCZoK4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-10, 04:03 PM   #9
Vardant

I regret buying the X360 more every day. Don't get me wrong, it has some nice exclusives, but as the time goes on, there are less and less games that really interest me. Sadly, I bought into the hype it seems. I had a list of maybe 30 games, that I wanted to get or at least rent, but I was sometimes so disappointed...

Lately, it seems MS only cares about Kinect and hopes, that 3rd party developers will carry them until they are ready to launch a new console. We know almost nothing about the 2011 exclusives, but Sony already announced 10 or more
Vardant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-10, 04:05 PM   #10
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiCZoK4 View Post
Slim is as for now rrod free. If it overheats it will shut itself down and let You turn itself on after cooldown. But it never happens unless You towel that ****.

Its really quiet. 250gb allows for installing quite some games, so dvd is not spinnings while playing.

Unless You can live without some great ps3 exclusives, You should go for 360. Also most of multi plat games are better on 360.
I prefer Gears of War series above every other games so choice was easy for me. Still. Some day I will get ps3 just for Uncharted 1 and 2.
It's RROD Free because it can't phyiscally RROD, they removed the lights but it still dies. I think within a week of its release reports of them dying arose.

Old 10-01-10, 05:43 PM   #11
ViN86

Quote:

YouTube begs to differ. They still red ring (minus the red ring of course).
Old 10-01-10, 07:20 PM   #12
sammy sung

Quote:

I prefer Gears of War series above every other games so choice was easy for me. Still.Some day I will get ps3 just for Uncharted 1 and 2.
I love the 360 but i also got the PS3 2 years ago but never really played it much.I bought uncharted 1+2 a few weeks ago from a used games store and played them both more or less through in just a few sittings.They both look stunning and if you play them on a bigscreen lcd/plasma so you dont notice the jaggies both games,especially part 2 will rival anything youve seen on pc,it really looks that good and far better than any 360 title i have played.Both games use multilayered textures much more effectivly/prettier than epic etc does with their Unreal 3 engine.

But apart from their graphical fidelity theyre both awesome games,i loved the first part but was annoyed with the gunplay part in it because you need too many shots to kill them but they adressed that in part 2 and more or less perfected the gameplay.I really didnt belive the hype but i got that same feeling you get when reading a really good book,allmost a sense of loss after completing it.