Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-09-11, 11:47 AM   #1
|MaguS|

Default No Network Access Issue

Im trying to fix my girls sisters PC and its giving me a bitch of a time. The issue is that her PC wont see any internet access. It detects that its plugged in but wont see the DNS or acquire an IP. I've tried resetting the winsock, reinstalling the TCI/IP Protocols, New Ethernet card, and a few other fixes but nothing is working. I don't want to reinstall windows if I have a choice but that might be the only option.

The error I get when I try to do a repair on her network adapter is "failed to query tcp ip settings of the connection. cannot proceed". Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-09-11, 02:52 PM   #2
ViN86

Default Re: No Network Access Issue

What version of Windows?
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-11, 05:39 PM   #3
|MaguS|

Windows XP 32bit Home Edition
Old 11-09-11, 06:28 PM   #4
Bman212121

If you have the right XP disc it might be possible to do a repair instead of a reinstall. Part way through the process there will be an option to repair an existing install or hit esc for a fresh install. Hit the "R" key. This prompt is right before the one for the recovery console. (Actually it might be after that) If you don't see that prompt then it's not the right disc and it's not seeing the installation.

What about simple tests? What happens when you try to ping 127.0.0.1? If that doesn't even work then it's pretty botched.

Here is the best article I can kind relating to doing a repair or a full on attempt to manually fix it.

http://smokeys.wordpress.com/2008/07...3-tcpip-stack/
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-11, 03:14 AM   #5
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Im trying to fix my girls sisters PC and its giving me a bitch of a time. The issue is that her PC wont see any internet access. It detects that its plugged in but wont see the DNS or acquire an IP. I've tried resetting the winsock, reinstalling the TCI/IP Protocols, New Ethernet card, and a few other fixes but nothing is working. I don't want to reinstall windows if I have a choice but that might be the only option.

The error I get when I try to do a repair on her network adapter is "failed to query tcp ip settings of the connection. cannot proceed". Any help would be appreciated.
Forgive me if I sound like a snob, but you're troubleshooting this from the wrong direction. Kind of like trying to fix the flat tire by first checking your oil levels.

Just for giggles though, I'll show you how to quickly fix things from that side:

Open up your command console and do this:

ping 127.0.0.1

If you get something akin to "reply from 127.0.0.1" your ip stack is working fine. If not, do this:

netsh int ip reset
netsh winsock reset catalog

Then reboot. If it still doesn't work, reinstall windows, because something else is seriously wrong.

Having said all of that: From the sound of things, the problem isn't with the PC itself, the problem is at the other end of the line. Try doing:

ipconfig /renew

My guess is that it is going to time out and return an error (because it can't find the DHCP server.) However after it does fail, run ipconfig again with no parameters, and you should see the local interface come up with an IP address starting with 169.254.X.X. This is whats called a microsoft "link local" address that windows assigns to the adapter when it can't contact the DHCP server.

In that situation you need to look at the network infrastructure. Is she connected straight to the ISP? And by that, I mean is she connected directly to a cable modem/dsl modem? If so, unplug the modem from the power cord so that it turns off fully, wait a few seconds, plug it back in, and try an ipconfig /renew again. If that fails, you'll need to call the ISP, because it's not something you're going to fix on your end.

If she's connected to either a router/switch, or an integrated modem/router/switch (basically if it has more than one ethernet port) then I'd try doing a factory reset of that device and see if that fixes it.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-11, 03:56 PM   #6
|MaguS|

Well I did a windows install repair and I think its still fubar because it wont activate the OS at all.
Old 11-10-11, 11:07 PM   #7
t3hl33td4rg0n
Dethklok Returns!

Send a message via AIM to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via MSN to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via Yahoo to t3hl33td4rg0n

If its failing to query the TCP/IP settings, maybe the TCP/IP settings are bad. Try a static IP and see what happens... Also go into TCP/IP properties, inside advanced and clear out any default gateways, DNS and WINS server entriees.

Intel QX9650 @ 3.83GHzXFX 780ieVGA GTX 560Ti8GB GSkill DDR800Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium PCI-ESeagate 1.5TB . 4x Samsung 2TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTin View Post
....it's so clear how government makes things worse not better...
t3hl33td4rg0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-11, 09:12 AM   #8
Bman212121

Does it go online? It's possible that you just have to call and have the activation reset. If you used the key printed on the bottom of the laptop that is likely the case.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-11, 04:40 PM   #9
|MaguS|

No, No online access at all.

t3hl33td4rg0n, Done all of that. None of it worked.
Old 11-11-11, 10:22 PM   #10
mullet

What software is it running that make be 3rd party firewall, and so on?
How does the network card look in device manager?
I know this may seem dahh but have you tried a different Ethernet cable? Your not using a cross over cable?
Are you pulling a 169.?
Are you connected to a router or cable modem? If a modem try disconnecting the coax from cable reboot modem ( should enable DHCP internally in the modem) and PC and see if it can pull a 192.
What kind of lights are you getting on the back of the NIC?
Old 11-12-11, 01:43 PM   #11
ViN86

Have you tried just using a $10 10/100 PCI card? Maybe the hardware ist kaput.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-11, 01:48 PM   #12
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
Have you tried just using a $10 10/100 PCI card? Maybe the hardware ist kaput.
Yeah I tried a new Network Card and it gets the same error. I think I might just reinstall windows.