Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-22-10, 08:18 AM   #1
mrnick

Default No cursor on 2 of 3 cloned Xinerama screens. Centos 5.3 Driver 256.53

Hello,

I'm trying to setup 3 cloned outputs from 2 Quadro 1500 cards on a 64 bit machine running CentOS 5.3 (RHEL 5.3). I have each monitor as a separate X screen and have Xinerama enabled.

Using nvidia settings I can drag the 3 screens to be positioned next to each other and all works as expected - i.e. I get a long desktop spanning all 3 monitors. However if I place the screens on top of each other to clone them, I then lose the mouse pointer on 2. Windows and apps appear cloned fine on all 3 screens, it's just the pointer missing on 2.

At one point when just dragging a window I found somehow the pointer had jumped onto another screen, but then was missing on the remaining 2.

I've tried using the software pointer (setting this option for each screen in the xorg.conf but no joy.)

Would anyone have any ideas, I really need the mouse pointer on all 3!

xorg.conf and bug report attached.

Thanks
Nick
Attached Files
File Type: txt xorg.conf.txt (3.6 KB, 69 views)
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (44.3 KB, 55 views)
mrnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-10, 09:07 AM   #2
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: No cursor on 2 of 3 cloned Xinerama screens. Centos 5.3 Driver 256.53

This is a limitation in the X server: it can only have the cursor on one physical X screen at a time. However, I wouldn't really expect the cursor to jump from one screen to another, but if it does, that's also an X server bug. The driver has very little control over where the cursor appears. It just takes orders from the X server and tells the hardware to move, hide, & show the cursor when its told to. I would suggest bringing this issue up at xorg@lists.freedesktop.org.

If you set up TwinView cloning between two of the screens, then at least those two will show the cursor. Also, it will be faster if you do it that way because each Xinerama screen adds overhead.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-10, 11:32 AM   #3
mrnick

Default Re: No cursor on 2 of 3 cloned Xinerama screens. Centos 5.3 Driver 256.53

Hello Aaron,

Thanks very much for the info. So I'm guessing the only way to get 3 screens with a cursor would be to use twinview for two clones and then possibly a DVI splitter of some kind for the 3rd?

Nick
mrnick is offline   Reply With Quote