Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-13-10, 01:52 PM   #1
graphitemaster

Default NVIDIA Drivers issue with Ubuntu 10.10 - latest

Recently I have updated my Ubuntu from 10.04 to 10.10 Maverick, which in turn meant a nvidia-installer --uninstall and a re-download of the NVIDIA driver package from the nvidia unix drivers portal page, followed by the normal install of killing X via /etc/init.d/gdm stop, and a nice chmod +x of the NVIDIA installer package and finally a ./NVIDIA-****.run and all set, normal install, everything goes fine. start everything again fine.

AND THEN SMASH!
-only one of my monitors is working-

So I do the obvious alt+f2, type in nvidia-settings, and enable it right?
as a twinview ( since that is what I like ), however the utility is not showing two screens only one!
so do the obvious, re-run nvidia-xconfig, and try again, still only one monitor!

Okay next sane step, reinstall the drivers, and still only one monitor, at this stage I'm stumped, so inside the config files to do some dirty config see if it'll in turn work, fire up /etc/X11/xorg.conf in vi, did my tweaking as I needed to "enable" the second monitor, restartx and monitor one lads up fine, the second one don't, open up any glX application and it crashes because of outof bounds issues.

note I'm using a nvidia 9500gt

Okay what now? Open up my pc case, and try another pci-e slot, (FAILS), try interchanging the wires for my monitors on the card, and i get a "input mode not supported" because of the aspect ratio of these monitors are different from each other. Is my second monitor broken? I do the obvious thing I try the monitor on my Windows machine, and works fine, try the monitor from my windows machine and NO DIE still does not work.

Okay at this point I'm pissed, uninstall the driver again, and go find another driver, an older one that does work, however the install fails because the older drivers will not work with the new 2.6.35.* series kernel, something to do with the itoca, crap in nv.c file, so I do the obvious thing comment the line out, and install it, and it fails again, giving me the same results second monitor does not work.

At this point I'm assumed it's my card not working, so I pull my card out and pop it in my Windows machine with two monitors hooked up and IT WORKS LIKE A CHARM! - now I'm stumped what the hell happened to my dual monitors!?
graphitemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-10, 02:03 PM   #2
graphitemaster

Default Re: NVIDIA Drivers issue with Ubuntu 10.10 - latest

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphitemaster View Post
Recently I have updated my Ubuntu from 10.04 to 10.10 Maverick, which in turn meant a nvidia-installer --uninstall and a re-download of the NVIDIA driver package from the nvidia unix drivers portal page, followed by the normal install of killing X via /etc/init.d/gdm stop, and a nice chmod +x of the NVIDIA installer package and finally a ./NVIDIA-****.run and all set, normal install, everything goes fine. start everything again fine.

AND THEN SMASH!
-only one of my monitors is working-

So I do the obvious alt+f2, type in nvidia-settings, and enable it right?
as a twinview ( since that is what I like ), however the utility is not showing two screens only one!
so do the obvious, re-run nvidia-xconfig, and try again, still only one monitor!

Okay next sane step, reinstall the drivers, and still only one monitor, at this stage I'm stumped, so inside the config files to do some dirty config see if it'll in turn work, fire up /etc/X11/xorg.conf in vi, did my tweaking as I needed to "enable" the second monitor, restartx and monitor one lads up fine, the second one don't, open up any glX application and it crashes because of outof bounds issues.

note I'm using a nvidia 9500gt

Okay what now? Open up my pc case, and try another pci-e slot, (FAILS), try interchanging the wires for my monitors on the card, and i get a "input mode not supported" because of the aspect ratio of these monitors are different from each other. Is my second monitor broken? I do the obvious thing I try the monitor on my Windows machine, and works fine, try the monitor from my windows machine and NO DIE still does not work.

Okay at this point I'm pissed, uninstall the driver again, and go find another driver, an older one that does work, however the install fails because the older drivers will not work with the new 2.6.35.* series kernel, something to do with the itoca, crap in nv.c file, so I do the obvious thing comment the line out, and install it, and it fails again, giving me the same results second monitor does not work.

At this point I'm assumed it's my card not working, so I pull my card out and pop it in my Windows machine with two monitors hooked up and IT WORKS LIKE A CHARM! - now I'm stumped what the hell happened to my dual monitors!?
I GOT IT WORKING, my monitor has two plugs on it, a vga and dvi, when the utility did not have it enabled, my monitor turned off output to dvi, and switched to vga, thats why the utility could not detect the monitor! ADD THIS IS THE FAQ because it could save somone 35 hours of trouble
graphitemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-11, 01:40 AM   #3
popogigio

Default Re: NVIDIA Drivers issue with Ubuntu 10.10 - latest

How did you get around this?

I've tried both DVI and VGA cables with no success.

I've just updated Ubuntu 10.10, and suddenly the second monitor stops working. I don't see a setting for DVI on the nvidia control panel.
popogigio is offline   Reply With Quote