Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-21-10, 12:26 AM   #1
NinjaNumberNine
Molten CPU Generator

Post GeForce 7300 LE w/Kubuntu 10.04/10.10 : My personal nightmare

Hiya everyone, I'm new here, so have a bit of pity please. (ps i love the banana smiley, kudos to whoever added it. xD)

Anyway to get down to business...

I have been sitting at this computer screen for the rough majority of the last 4 days. its 11:00PM now, and my poor brain is telling me, 'sleep, sleep! must have sleeeep...' but unfortunately the situation is fairly urgent... if I don't get the graphics working for Dad soon, he's going to have to quit using linux for 'lack of stability'!!! That means going back to *shudders* that 'other' os. He does stock investing and all that, so he has to have a stable computer to get a good income, and he's been using Kubuntu Linux for quite a time now (with quite a few problems, which we've tolerated and worked around/gone without things..) but now suddenly some major graphics issues start to emerge...

I'm pretty good with Linux, been using it several years, and i use the console more often then the GUI. but of course, the eyecandy can get addicting, (huge compiz fan here) and whilst showing my dad the many pros about working with Linux, I installed compiz to give him extra desktops and all the functionality/aesthetics pizazz. At the original install (9.04 I believe, upgraded to 10.04 right away) I used the Hardware drivers (or jockey-kde) to install the latest nvidia proprietary drivers, and all worked well, except for a few glitches in compiz where windows would suddenly minimize, or plasma-desktop would crash occasionaly (plasma-desktop is the desktop manager that draws the widgets/panels etc)
to make a long story short, new issues started coming up, new small glitches, etc and finally it was so irritating that i started troubleshooting the process. well, you know how it goes... you start messing with config files, and your screen dies. the dreaded message of 'screens found, but none have a usable configuration' and other ominous threats began issuing from the console at each startup. I did my best to fix them as they were reported, but there was allways another error in the wake of one i had busted.

Well, I eventually started trying other drivers. I got nouveau working to the point that i had two monitors that either were twinview style or exact copies of eachother, i can't remember. i learned that it would be quite a job, and it was a 50/50 chance anyway, to get 3d acceleration working (needed for compiz, which Dad had gotten used to, so i wanted to work)so I tried yet another driver, the standard 'nv' one, with limited to no success. In dispair, (and lack of sleep) I decided to try the proprietary drivers again. using countless tutorials, i tried various methods of installing, i first used the one off the nvidia site (the .run file) which i could get picture with, but no sound or desktop effects/video playback. so i removed the *.run version and tried the ones from the kubuntu repos, (all three versions, starting with a clean slate each time (well, as clean as i knew how to get it anyway) but no picture at all, just the warning that 'failed to load the nvidia kernel module' and a 'modprobe nvidia' returns something like 'FATAL: Module nvidia not found.' i have all the relevant packages for the current nvidia driver installed, and 'linux-firmware' (i forgot to mention, i upgraded to Maverick Meerkat (10.10) last night to see if it would help) (it's the replacement for 'linux-restricted-modules*kernel version here*') is also installed.

I would really, really appreciate some help. my xorg.conf is as configured by nvidia-xconfig, no changes.

PS: Dad needs the system running before 8:30 tomorrow morning- that's when the market opens and he needs to work. please don't make me have to bump this thread... it's pretty urgent (to me anyway) and i'm so tired.. I have to get up early tomorrow anyway.

So long guys, and thanks!

-NinjaNumberNine
NinjaNumberNine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-10, 03:45 AM   #2
artem

Default Re: GeForce 7300 LE w/Kubuntu 10.04/10.10 : My personal nightmare

I strongly suggest purging your Kubuntu installation and starting from scratch - since it's not now clear how much you've messed everything up.

You don't need NVIDIA installer to configure your xorg.conf file, nowadays you only need a small file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d directory, i.e. you can grab one from here: NVIDIA configuration file for X.org server >=1.8.

I think you should use Ubuntu supplied binary NVIDIA drivers (that will save the pain of upgrading kernels because I bet your father won't be willing to study how to recompile NVIDIA kernel interface) or nouveau if you don't intend intensive gaming. Nouveau is still kinda rough on edges, so NVIDIA binary driver is still the best choice for NVIDIA GPUs.
artem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-10, 10:13 AM   #3
NinjaNumberNine
Molten CPU Generator

thanks for the input artem, unfotunately I've done so much to get Kubuntu working already (setting up tv card, (a real pain), getting wine set up with multiple software such as scottrade, plus installing about a million other packages as we've needed them) and it would be a major operation to get it set up again. I've already thought about it, trust me. I still think it's possible to get this working as it is, though- i've only messed with the xorg.conf and /etc/modprobe.d, and i can give any information you need, such as what nvidia-related packages are installed, what's in the configuration files, log files etc. I doubt reinstalling would take less than two days, so i'm avoiding it as a last resort. I would really appreciate some help trying to fix the drivers as they are, (dad already calls me Magnum R.I.(reinstaller, instead of private investigater like to original) so thanks in advance (and thanks again artem, the input at least let me know i'm not alone)

I'll be uploading a lot of system stats in a bit, they should help show where the problem lies.

best,
-NinjaNumberNine

EDIT: just noticed what you said about the nvidia config file, do you mean the xorg.conf is not needed? if this is the case, do i just put the '20-nvidia-conf' in my /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d directory?
Old 10-21-10, 12:00 PM   #4
artem

> do you mean the xorg.conf is not needed

Yes, it's not needed nowadays.

I wonder why you don't install Windows for your dad, strip him of administrator rights, install Avira antivirus and make him happy.

Trust me - this setup will work for ages uninterruptedly.
Old 10-21-10, 12:57 PM   #5
NinjaNumberNine
Molten CPU Generator

Don't get me wrong- Dad is very computer-literate, in fact, he started me off with linux in the first place. Since most of his trading software was windows only, he stayed with XP himself, but encouraged me to find substitutes in Linux. So we finally made the switch and he's been enjoying it, it's just that the bugs are irritating and numerous at times. I run Kubuntu myself with no problems, (intense gaming, desktop effects, programming, graphics design, 3D modeling, etc) on my pc, but i'm just using an on-board Intel graphics chip (which does fine). Adding dual head cards, proprietary drivers and the like adds an entirely new headache. Dad needs dual monitors to invest/trade efficiently, thus the graphics card, and thus the issues that come with it.

Oh and he really wants to use linux- try and understand that. He has to support our family of 11 (and we're NOT on welfare or in debt, or poor) entirely on the computer, so you can see the need for a stable (and secure) OS. (And we get plenty of help from God too)

Back on topic... i ran 'sudo apt-get purge nvidia*' which completely removed all the nvidia drivers/config. Then i installed the nouveau drivers, and now I am back with a gui (and no xorg.conf) that looks nice and normal, except there is no tv card playback (driver issue i'm guessing) and compiz won't work with the following reasons (as generated by compiz-check):
Code:
Gathering information about your system...

Distribution:          Ubuntu 10.10
 Desktop environment:   KDE4
 Graphics chip:         nVidia Corporation G72 [GeForce 7300 LE] (rev a1)
 Driver in use:         nouveau
 Rendering method:      AIGLX

Checking if it's possible to run Compiz on your system...

Checking for texture_from_pixmap...               [ OK ]
 Checking for non power of two support...          [ OK ]
 Checking for composite extension...               [ OK ]
 Checking for FBConfig...                          [ OK ]
 Checking for hardware/setup problems...           [FAIL]

There has been (at least) one error detected with your setup:
 Error: Software Rasterizer in use
I believe the reason for this is that (quote from this page): Support for this sort of 3D operation is blocked by TTM and texture support. Don't expect compiz to work at all until at least 2007Q4.
Any thoughts? I'll try nvidia again if i get some positive input.
Old 10-21-10, 04:08 PM   #6
artem

According to http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/FeatureMatrix TV out is not supported on your GPU, so NVIDIA binary driver is your only choice.

Make sure you have deleted/disabled all traces of nouveau (in initrd too) before trying to install NVIDIA - they conflict with each other.
Old 10-21-10, 05:19 PM   #7
NinjaNumberNine
Molten CPU Generator

would you mind explaining how to remove the traces from initrd? I'm not familiar with initrd, I just looked it up and got this: http://www.listware.net/201006/opensuse-factory/18218-opensuse-factory-m7-how-do-i-remove-nouveau-driver.html but when i ran
Code:
grep INITRD-MODULES /etc/sysconfig/kernel
it complained that /etc/sysconfig/kernel didn't exist. so i tried to find it in Dolphin (kde filemanager, still using nouveau for gui purposes) but it turns out there is no 'sysconfig' folder in /etc/. instead, there is a folder called kernel directly in /etc/ but running
Code:
grep INITRD-MODULES /etc/kernel
didn't produce any output.

Thanks for the pointers a ton, it at least gives me a new angle to work at (hadn't known initrd affected it, (or quite frankly what initrd even was) so I'm much encouraged.

best wishes,
NinjaNumberNine
Old 10-21-10, 05:52 PM   #8
artem

Just read this https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Bi...erHowto/Nvidia

It seems like meddling with initrd is not required for using Ubuntu supplied NVIDIA drivers.

Other then this for Ubuntu NVIDIA driver you should ask @ http://ubuntuforums.org/

Old 10-21-10, 06:43 PM   #9
hl_

cool story, bro
hl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-10, 07:05 PM   #10
NinjaNumberNine
Molten CPU Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by artem View Post
Just read this https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Bi...erHowto/Nvidia

It seems like meddling with initrd is not required for using Ubuntu supplied NVIDIA drivers.

Other then this for Ubuntu NVIDIA driver you should ask @ http://ubuntuforums.org/
Not to sound like a pessimist, but don't you know I've read that page so many times I could recite it backwards in Greek (hey well, it gets the point out, if not entirely accurate XD) and followed the steps at least 4 times... Part of my problem is that jockey (or 'Additional/Hardware/Restricted Drivers) loads up with no drivers available, as so:

which leaves me with the package managers and apt, but the BinaryDriverHowto page doesn't tell which packages to install, specifically. So i pretty much guess and follow other tutorials (most of which can't seem to be newer than version 8.04 of ubuntu) and thus far no luck.
What is the list of packages needed for the drivers to work, and the proper state of my blacklist-misc, as well as some things that directly hinder them from working? (I know it's a lot to ask, don't take it as a command)

Thanks again,

NinjaNumberNine

P.S: I've never really gotten help fast on ubuntu forums, there's so many new threads being created/bumped in a minute that there's little chance mine gets noticed (just saying that from experience, i've got more than 500 posts there, quite a few of them bumps)
If I can't get it fixed here, or the issue turns out to be more ubuntu related, I'll go there, it's just that I never really like typing really long problem descriptions on multiple sites (I know, copy and paste, right? oh well, maybe I'm just lazy)
Old 10-22-10, 03:29 AM   #11
artem

Here, people will only help you set up the official NVIDIA driver and using it is a bit of PITA: every time you upgrade the kernel you need to rebuild the kernel module, you should very carefully upgrade Xorg server and Mesa libraries, because NVIDIA replaces their parts.

And it seems like you are not alone with your troubles.

Sorry, I cannot help you with Ubuntu, I'm using Fedora.
Old 10-22-10, 08:30 AM   #12
NinjaNumberNine
Molten CPU Generator

Wink Re: GeForce 7300 LE w/Kubuntu 10.04/10.10 : My personal nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by artem View Post
Here, people will only help you set up the official NVIDIA driver and using it is a bit of PITA: every time you upgrade the kernel you need to rebuild the kernel module, you should very carefully upgrade Xorg server and Mesa libraries, because NVIDIA replaces their parts.

And it seems like you are not alone with your troubles.

Sorry, I cannot help you with Ubuntu, I'm using Fedora.
Read all of those threads, thanks for looking them up. They weren't very encouraging.
I understand fine about Fedora, thanks for the help you've been anyway.
Anyways I'm gonna try to get Jockey working, then try the different driver versions, and if it doesn't work I'll try following this:
http://www.uluga.ubuntuforums.org/sh...60&postcount=7
or this
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...averick+nvidia

Thanks again,
NinjaNumberNine