Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-03-10, 04:55 PM   #1
pugz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 4
Default Which card for 1080p 60fps H.264 playback?

I'm building a HTPC box under Linux and will be getting a Panasonic TM-700 camcorder capable of producing 1080p at a full 60fps (H.264). I would like the box I build to be able to playback these videos smoothly.

I have two questions:
1) what card can support this (I was hoping a GT2xx would be sufficient)?
2) can a core i3-540 CPU handle this decoding by itself?

Thanks.
pugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-10, 08:37 PM   #2
cehoyos
FFmpeg developer
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 467
Default Re: Which card for 1080p 60fps H.264 playback?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugz View Post
I'm building a HTPC box under Linux and will be getting a Panasonic TM-700 camcorder capable of producing 1080p at a full 60fps (H.264). I would like the box I build to be able to playback these videos smoothly.

I have two questions:
1) what card can support this (I was hoping a GT2xx would be sufficient)?
Currently none, afaik.
Quote:
2) can a core i3-540 CPU handle this decoding by itself?
Certainly (depending on software, post-processing and video output).

Carl Eugen
cehoyos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-10, 08:50 PM   #3
ShiningArcanine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 106
Default Re: Which card for 1080p 60fps H.264 playback?

This might be helpful to you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PureVid..._.28HD.29_GPUs
ShiningArcanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-10, 09:01 PM   #4
Deanjo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 301
Default Re: Which card for 1080p 60fps H.264 playback?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cehoyos View Post
Currently none, afaik.

Certainly (depending on software, post-processing and video output).

Carl Eugen
Most of the vdpau "c" cards should be able too.

Quote:
MPEG DECODING (1920x1080): 100 frames/s
MPEG DECODING (1280x720): 232 frames/s
H264 DECODING (1920x1080): 66 frames/s <-------
H264 DECODING (1280x720): 140 frames/s
VC1 DECODING (1440x1080): 83 frames/s
MPEG4 DECODING (1920x1080): 72 frames/s
Deanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-10, 09:12 PM   #5
Deanjo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 301
Default Re: Which card for 1080p 60fps H.264 playback?

Looks like a GT240 should suffice.


http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...&postcount=320
Deanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-10, 09:59 PM   #6
gradinaruvasile
Registered User
 
gradinaruvasile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 199
Default Re: Which card for 1080p 60fps H.264 playback?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanjo View Post
Works well on the lowly gf210 (even my integrated 8200 could do it).
But i recommend a gf220 at least.
gradinaruvasile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-10, 02:04 AM   #7
pugz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 4
Default Re: Which card for 1080p 60fps H.264 playback?

Thanks for all the info guys!
pugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-10, 06:03 AM   #8
cehoyos
FFmpeg developer
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 467
Default Re: Which card for 1080p 60fps H.264 playback?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanjo View Post
Most of the vdpau "c" cards should be able too.
No.
Code:
H264 DECODING (1920x1080): 66 frames/s
It's not only about decoding (that is what qvdpauinfo tests), but you need to read the file, demux it, play audio, keep A/V sync, etc.

Above value corresponds to app. 50 fps

I can confirm that it does not work on a G210, and the values from a GTX 580 look very similar, Carl Eugen
cehoyos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-10, 07:19 AM   #9
Deanjo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 301
Default Re: Which card for 1080p 60fps H.264 playback?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cehoyos View Post
No.
Code:
H264 DECODING (1920x1080): 66 frames/s
It's not only about decoding (that is what qvdpauinfo tests), but you need to read the file, demux it, play audio, keep A/V sync, etc.

Above value corresponds to app. 50 fps

I can confirm that it does not work on a G210, and the values from a GTX 580 look very similar, Carl Eugen
Well I got a file from that camera. If you leave it in the native raw file your right, in linux it doesn't cope with it well. However I dropped the same file in VideoRedo 4, selected quickstream fix, and that resulting file was easily playable with vdpau 1920x1080@60fps with 0 frame drops. No re-encoding needed. (Same trick I have to do to get Hauppauge HD PVR recordings to seek properly without re-encoding)
Deanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-10, 07:52 AM   #10
cehoyos
FFmpeg developer
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 467
Default Re: Which card for 1080p 60fps H.264 playback?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanjo View Post
However I dropped the same file in VideoRedo 4, selected quickstream fix, and that resulting file was easily playable with vdpau 1920x1080@60fps with 0 frame drops.
Could you test with xacti_hd2000_dogsample20090207_2a.mp4 in http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/HDTV/ and upload a "fixed" version?

Thank you, Carl Eugen
cehoyos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-10, 08:09 AM   #11
Deanjo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 301
Default Re: Which card for 1080p 60fps H.264 playback?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cehoyos View Post
Could you test with xacti_hd2000_dogsample20090207_2a.mp4 in http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/HDTV/ and upload a "fixed" version?

Thank you, Carl Eugen
VideoRedo won't bring in MP4 containers.
Deanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-10, 08:10 AM   #12
cehoyos
FFmpeg developer
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 467
Default Re: Which card for 1080p 60fps H.264 playback?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanjo View Post
VideoRedo won't bring in MP4 containers.
Then perhaps another sample that was "fixed" by VideoReDo?

Thank you, Carl Eugen
cehoyos is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.