Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-18-10, 05:35 PM   #1
cumthsc

Unhappy Dell Latitude screen blanks, does not wake up

I have a Dell Latitude e6410 with GT218 [NVS 3100M] and 1440x900 screen. It's running BIOS A05, Fedora 13 kernel-2.6.34.6-54.fc13.x86_64, and nvidia driver 256.53.

When the screen backlight turns off after an idle period, I'm not able to wake it up. Moving the mouse turns the backlight back on, but the screen remains dark. Flipping to a different virtual console works (i.e., I can use the VC in text mode), but flipping back generally has no effect. When I downgrade to BIOS A03, I have the same issue, but intermittently, flipping to a VC and back brings the image back, but sometimes frozen and sometimes without a cursor (although the mouse does work).

Is anyone else seeing this?

The nouveau drivers seem to have no problem, although they don't yet reliably support 3D on this card. The nvidia drivers worked before, but several things (BIOS, kernel, driver) changed in a short period of time and I'm not sure which one caused the problem. Downgrading the kernel had no effect. I had an older nvidia driver with an even older kernel, but X wouldn't start at all with that combo.

TIA for any assistance.
cumthsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-10, 06:32 PM   #2
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Default Re: Dell Latitude screen blanks, does not wake up

Have you called tech support?

I haven't seen any issues with me 6410 and I am running the latest BIOS, but not the latest Nvidia drivers.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-10, 07:36 AM   #3
cumthsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
Have you called tech support?
Not yet. I thought I'd check here first. Are you suggesting nVidia tech support?
Old 09-19-10, 08:31 AM   #4
kwizart

Can you look at http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46678 and attach the output of nvidia-bug-report.sh ?
Thx
kwizart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-10, 03:09 PM   #5
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cumthsc View Post
Not yet. I thought I'd check here first. Are you suggesting nVidia tech support?
Nope. Unless you got the bog standard 1 year support, your system should still be covered and they should be able to diagnose and figure out what to do. If there is an issue with your screen, they can get you a new one.

If it is a software/driver issue, that also can be diagnosed.

Are you using the recommended driver from www.dell.com/support ? If not, give that a shot and see if it resolves your issues. Like I said, I am running the same notebook, slightly different card, but I keep my system updated at that site.
Old 09-19-10, 03:23 PM   #6
cumthsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwizart View Post
Can you look at http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46678 and attach the output of nvidia-bug-report.sh ?
Thx
I couldn't startx with the "--logverbose 6" option, because that somehow invokes xterm with some invalid arguments that I couldn't debug. So I ran straight startx, waited for the freeze, and ran nvidia-bug-report.sh. The result is attached.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (69.0 KB, 63 views)
Old 09-19-10, 03:27 PM   #7
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Oh, I didn't even notice you were running Linux on this

If the system did not have Linux pre-installed, your options are limited to finding assisting through someone who knows about the product, the card and the drivers.

Old 09-19-10, 03:37 PM   #8
cumthsc

Quote:
Nope. Unless you got the bog standard 1 year support, your system should still be covered and they should be able to diagnose and figure out what to do. If there is an issue with your screen, they can get you a new one.

If it is a software/driver issue, that also can be diagnosed.

Are you using the recommended driver from www.dell.com/support ? If not, give that a shot and see if it resolves your issues. Like I said, I am running the same notebook, slightly different card, but I keep my system updated at that site.
It's a brand new machine as of June, so it's still under warranty, but (a) I don't think it's a hardware issue, as it worked fine before and it works fine with the nouveau driver, and (b) I can't find any Linux support for Latitude on the Dell site. That jives with my previous experience getting support on older Latitudes: when I call and tell them I'm running Linux, they tell me they won't support the machine because I've changed the configuration from the way it was shipped (Win7 64-bit in this case).

So do you have a Linux driver from Dell support? (Mine's from rpmfusion.org, BTW.)

Old 09-19-10, 03:38 PM   #9
cumthsc

Quote:
Oh, I didn't even notice you were running Linux on this

If the system did not have Linux pre-installed, your options are limited to finding assisting through someone who knows about the product, the card and the drivers.

Oops, we crossed posting about this. You're right, which is why I asked here...
Old 10-18-10, 09:00 PM   #10
cumthsc

This issue seems to be fixed with driver 260.19.12. Thanks, nVidia!