Go Back   nV News Forums > General Forums > Archived News Items

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-18-10, 06:40 PM   #1
News

Post OpenGL 4.0 Mountains demo released

Rastergrid has a new OpenGL 4.0 demo released that shows dynamically generated mountains, valleys, and trees all using algorithms in DirectX10 and OpenGL4. They manage to do level of detail, culling, and and geometry instancing all on the GPU, leaving the CPU almost untouched.
The result is a renderer that does little to no scene management on the CPU, instead uses the GPU for visibility determination that is, in most cases, able to reduce the scene's geometric complexity from over 400 million triangles under one million triangles providing an interactive experience on a Radeon HD5770 with around 200 frames per second.

Scroll to the bottom to see his performance figures. It looks amazing, although they test it solely on AMD Radeon cards.

via OpenGL 4.0 ' Mountains demo released « RasterGrid Blog.

Reach out to the community of Visualization and Graphics Experts by Advertising on VizWorld.com Related posts:
  1. Resource Of The Week: OpenGL SuperBible
  2. Rebuilding DirectDraw with OpenGL
  3. Aircord's N-3D DEMO for iPad

More...
News is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-10, 06:45 PM   #2
Redeemed

Default Re: OpenGL 4.0 Mountains demo released

Whoa... interesting.

I rather miss the days where OpenGL and DX where actively competing. Seems now DX has taken over and a lot of the hype has died down. The whole market seems... dull. At least compared to a few short years ago.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-10, 09:02 PM   #3
jcrox
Mahna Mahna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Whoa... interesting.

I rather miss the days where OpenGL and DX where actively competing. Seems now DX has taken over and a lot of the hype has died down. The whole market seems... dull. At least compared to a few short years ago.
Yeah, Microsoft has dumped a lot of money into killing OpenGL and pretty much forcing gamers into Windows. I myself wouldn't ever use Windows if pc games were primarily OpenGL rather than DX. It would be Linux all the way.

Gaming

MSI MPower Z87 | 4770k | CNPS9900MAX-B | 8GB G.Skill 1866 | EVGA GTX760 |ThermalTake 850w | X-Fi Titanium | HAF | Asus PA248Q | Lycosa | Death Adder | Win8 Pro 64

Dev/Backup

MSI GD65 | 2500k | H50 | 8GB G.skill | GTX570 | Ubuntu 13.10

Laptop

17" Inspiron | i5 | 4GB DDR3 | 500GB HDD | Win7 Pro 64

jcrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-10, 09:54 PM   #4
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrox View Post
Yeah, Microsoft has dumped a lot of money into killing OpenGL and pretty much forcing gamers into Windows. I myself wouldn't ever use Windows if pc games were primarily OpenGL rather than DX. It would be Linux all the way.
Yep, same here.