Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-01-10, 05:55 PM   #109
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,948
Default Re: BlackOps - Already leaked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
Evidence of piracy or total piracy is a poor comparison. Percent of users who pirate would be a better comparison, and I'm willing to bet that PC beats consoles in that category.

Besides, even if all 1 million XBL bans were for pirated versions of MW2, that didn't even touch the 4.1 million illegal downloads of MW2 on PC.

PC Game Downloads on BitTorrent in 2009
as of December 27, 2009 # game downloads released
torrentfreak.com
1 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (4,100,000) (Nov. 2009)
2 The Sims 3 (3,200,000) (June. 2009)
3 Prototype (2,350,000) (June. 2009)
4 Need For Speed Shift (2,100,000) (Sept. 2009)
5 Street Fighter IV (1,850,000) (July. 2009)

Xbox 360 Game Downloads on BitTorrent in 2009
as of December 27, 2009 # game downloads released
torrentfreak.com
1 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (970,000) (Nov. 2009)
2 Street Fighter IV (840,000) (July. 2009)
3 Prototype (810,000) (Feb. 2009)
4 Dirt 2 (790,000) (Sept. 2009)
5 UFC 2009 Undisputed (720,000) (Mar. 2009)

Wii Game Downloads on BitTorrent in 2009
as of December 27, 2009 # game downloads released
torrentfreak.com
1 New Super Mario Bros. (1,150,000) (Nov. 2009)
2 Punch-Out!! (950,000) (May. 2009)
3 Wii Sports Resort (920,000) (July. 2009)
4 The House of the Dead: Overkill (860,000) (Feb. 2009)
5 Mario Power Tennis (830,000) (Mar. 2009)

Piracy on consoles is often neglected, but that doesn't negate how rampant it is on PC's.
You believe those numbers??

If there were that many PC gamers why wouldn't they find a working DRM and release more PC games. From those numbers there are a **** ton of PC gamers out there. I just can't even believe those are legit.
__________________
i7-2600k @ 4.6Ghz, Zotac GTX 680 (1310/7000), 16GB DDR3 1600, 2 x 1TB Samsung F3 RAID 0, Windows 7 x64, CPU and GPU custom watercooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-10, 06:02 PM   #110
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur
 
Mr. Hunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 8,294
Default Re: BlackOps - Already leaked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
You believe those numbers??

If there were that many PC gamers why wouldn't they find a working DRM and release more PC games. From those numbers there are a **** ton of PC gamers out there. I just can't even believe those are legit.
Why not? It is MUCH easier to pirate on PC than console. Download game, mount image and install. No modding your console or anything.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-10, 06:07 PM   #111
mojoman0
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: California
Posts: 3,566
Default Re: BlackOps - Already leaked out

Lol they're pretty legit. This is just one site too. There are a ton of pc gamers out there but as is obvious they don't pay for games. This is why ridiculous drm schemes like ubisofts have come into play and then everyone complains
mojoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-10, 06:32 PM   #112
ViN86
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 15,486
Default Re: BlackOps - Already leaked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
You believe those numbers??

If there were that many PC gamers why wouldn't they find a working DRM and release more PC games. From those numbers there are a **** ton of PC gamers out there. I just can't even believe those are legit.
And that's the definition of a fanboy. Someone who clings to their beliefs even in the face of contradictory data...

What is the motivation to alter the data?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon12 View Post
The 1 million bans were just the idiots who got on xbl with a pirated copy and got caught, wonder how many total there where? I have yet to see the number of illegal downloads for xbox, probably because they don't want to draw attention to how bad it is.

Just playing the numbers game I bet it is more, obviously percentage wise it would be less.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post

Xbox 360 Game Downloads on BitTorrent in 2009
as of December 27, 2009 # game downloads released
torrentfreak.com
1 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (970,000) (Nov. 2009)
2 Street Fighter IV (840,000) (July. 2009)
3 Prototype (810,000) (Feb. 2009)
4 Dirt 2 (790,000) (Sept. 2009)
5 UFC 2009 Undisputed (720,000) (Mar. 2009)
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-10, 07:36 PM   #113
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,948
Default Re: BlackOps - Already leaked out

I don't believe it because I don't think there are over 4 million PC gamers with the hardware capable of playing it.

How copies have they sold on the 360? Have they even sold 4.1 Million on the 360?? How many sales are they recording from the PC platform?

Its not like the PC sales potential isn't there... I just don't believe 4.1 million PC gamers exist out there that pirated and didn't buy it. They keep talking about the PC being a dead platform. If those numbers are even vaguely accurate developers need to take advantage of that and start giving us games like Madden and NHL back with some working DRM. 4.1 million pirated copies certainly doesn't sound like a dead platform to me, it sounds like another 4.1 million customers you need to entice.
__________________
i7-2600k @ 4.6Ghz, Zotac GTX 680 (1310/7000), 16GB DDR3 1600, 2 x 1TB Samsung F3 RAID 0, Windows 7 x64, CPU and GPU custom watercooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-10, 08:07 PM   #114
Logical
Registered User
 
Logical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 2,523
Default Re: BlackOps - Already leaked out

Taking stats from 1 torrent client is hardly an accurate overall stat vin...come off it....

Also i might add that many PC pirates would download the game for 'them' to play..Most pirates downloading console games are doing it to sell them on the black market therefore making many copies from 1 download, not everyone with a console has a PC.

The figures for pirating games is so innacurate its funny, nobody can put a figure on how many illegal copies of a game there are...its impossible.
Logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-10, 08:15 PM   #115
ViN86
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 15,486
Default Re: BlackOps - Already leaked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
I don't believe it because I don't think there are over 4 million PC gamers with the hardware capable of playing it.

How copies have they sold on the 360? Have they even sold 4.1 Million on the 360?? How many sales are they recording from the PC platform?

Its not like the PC sales potential isn't there... I just don't believe 4.1 million PC gamers exist out there that pirated and didn't buy it. They keep talking about the PC being a dead platform. If those numbers are even vaguely accurate developers need to take advantage of that and start giving us games like Madden and NHL back with some working DRM. 4.1 million pirated copies certainly doesn't sound like a dead platform to me, it sounds like another 4.1 million customers you need to entice.
MW2 requirements aren't that large. My laptop runs it at 720p at 40FPS. But I don't think the PC market is dead (I don't know why people say that). But I think their piracy argument has a good amount of truth to it. I don't think $60 price tags are helping their cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical View Post
Taking stats from 1 torrent client is hardly an accurate overall stat vin...come off it....
And dismissing it as completely false is ridiculous as well. So meet in the middle. You're still looking at a LOT of downloaded copies of MW2...

Quote:
Also i might add that many PC pirates would download the game for 'them' to play..Most pirates downloading console games are doing it to sell them on the black market therefore making many copies from 1 download, not everyone with a console has a PC.
So, I can't accept numbers from "one torrent client" but you can use speculation in your conclusion...

Hell, at least my argument has a reference and some numbers. Yours is unfounded to say the least.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-10, 08:20 PM   #116
Logical
Registered User
 
Logical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 2,523
Default Re: BlackOps - Already leaked out

Agree with your first quote, there is way too many illegal downloads on all platforms. The point im making is that its too underground, so to speak, for anyone to know...1 download does not equal 1 illegal copy...a pirate could download once to make 500 copies and sell them on for console owners...however with the PC it is more likley that an illegal download is only gonna get copied once for that persons own use. There is no market for illegal copies of PC games as PC owners know that they can do it themselves if they choose to take the illegal route.
Logical is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-10, 08:24 PM   #117
Logical
Registered User
 
Logical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 2,523
Default Re: BlackOps - Already leaked out

I hate this topic it always leaves a sour taste in my mouth, but i must defend my platform and put my point accross that piracy is just as common if not more common on a console, devs like to blame PC because that were all the piracy begins...you cant download torrents on a console afterall.
Logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-10, 08:36 PM   #118
ViN86
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 15,486
Default Re: BlackOps - Already leaked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical View Post
Agree with your first quote, there is way too many illegal downloads on all platforms. The point im making is that its too underground, so to speak, for anyone to know...1 download does not equal 1 illegal copy...a pirate could download once to make 500 copies and sell them on for console owners...however with the PC it is more likley that an illegal download is only gonna get copied once for that persons own use. There is no market for illegal copies of PC games as PC owners know that they can do it themselves if they choose to take the illegal route.
That may be. But people sell pirated copies of PC games too. Just look at eBay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical View Post
I hate this topic it always leaves a sour taste in my mouth, but i must defend my platform and put my point accross that piracy is just as common if not more common on a console, devs like to blame PC because that were all the piracy begins...you cant download torrents on a console afterall.
Just as common if not more common? There's no way.

If you look at percentages, I would bet PC trounces any console. It's funny that you all say consoles are for "kids" then think that the majority of them have the talent to remove a drive, flash the firmware, and put it back in, or that the kids have the skills necessary to solder a mod chip in.

Read this article: http://oxcgn.com/2010/03/23/the-stat...t-hit-and-how/

It's from earlier this year and compares piracy on each platform.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-10, 09:08 PM   #119
Logical
Registered User
 
Logical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 2,523
Default Re: BlackOps - Already leaked out

Ok i see where your going with the percentages and in that respect your probably right, but in all honesty piracy is a problem on all platforms and it shouldn't be treated as platform specific.

I'm getting an xbox 360 with kinect for Christmas this year, although primarily it will be for my kids, who i might add have also a gaming PC and a laptop between them, the xbox360 will also be for my use in regards to games such as Forza 3 and GoW2. Im in no way biased from 1 platform to another and believe as a gamer piracy is ruining gaming for everyone on all platforms, from developers snubbing the PC platform to silly high prices for console games. It needs to be stopped and devs should think harder of ways to do it as it is obvious that anything they have tried in the past hasn't worked.
Logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-10, 10:20 PM   #120
ViN86
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 15,486
Default Re: BlackOps - Already leaked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical View Post
Ok i see where your going with the percentages and in that respect your probably right, but in all honesty piracy is a problem on all platforms and it shouldn't be treated as platform specific.

I'm getting an xbox 360 with kinect for Christmas this year, although primarily it will be for my kids, who i might add have also a gaming PC and a laptop between them, the xbox360 will also be for my use in regards to games such as Forza 3 and GoW2. Im in no way biased from 1 platform to another and believe as a gamer piracy is ruining gaming for everyone on all platforms, from developers snubbing the PC platform to silly high prices for console games. It needs to be stopped and devs should think harder of ways to do it as it is obvious that anything they have tried in the past hasn't worked.
I can definitely agree with that.

I play games on both and I am starting to see more and more cheaters on MW2 on 360. Aimbots, wallhacks, etc., they run rampant on modded 360's since there's no cheat detection. I've seen killcams with people in the chopper gunner just snapping to heads. And most of the people in there are so stupid they don't say anything and don't leave.

I don't deny that PC does get an unfair label for piracy. While it may be a bigger problem on PC, no one acknowledges the problem on 360/Wii/DS/PSP.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.