Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-25-10, 04:31 PM   #73
ViN86
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 15,486
Default Re: BlackOps - Already leaked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
Nobody is denying that there is pirating on the PC but in fact, pirating can help game sales since the people who crack them actually promote the buying of the games.

Nothing wrong with making money but there are a lot of big, greedy companies out there that are not happy until they make more, and more money where customers suffer because of it. The best way to stick it to the man is to pirate.

What possible reason would you charge 40 for BlackOps over all other games that come in at mostly 30?
LOL now pirating games promotes sales. Keep justifying it using that flawed logic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical View Post
CBA same old crap...a thread about piracy and then fingers pointing at PC gamers...Boring.

I've said it before, there are ways for devs to combat piracy, yes it may cost a little extra money but if that little extra of dev cost stops piracy which they claim they are losing 100's of thousands on, then wouldn't they just do it.

Online authentication, need i say more....no internet, no play, this is the 21st century, internet is almost compulsary with todays PC's...
Internet authentication doesn't really work either. Most software (e.g. Adobe software) requires phone or online activation, but people often bypass that quite easily. I think it all boils down to the old adage "if there's a will, there's a way". So, from that viewpoint, the only effective way to end or minimize piracy is to remove the will.

That means lowering game prices and increasing incentive to buy the game (e.g. direct developer communication and feedback). Of course, these need to be coupled with more strict enforcement of current legislation. For large developers and big name titles, this is difficult. It's difficult to give everyone an opinion, and it's even harder to lower prices when the costs of development continue to increase. So, it's not easy. But indy studios are doing this nicely. Indy studios offer direct communication with developers, and they typically give lower prices. This is why consumers are more likely to pay for indy games rather than big name titles. Not to mention, big name titles often have cracks available. But indy games often contain no DRM.

I think what compounds this issue, are recent games and this "consolization". PC gamers are beginning to see features that cater to console users and negatively affect the PC gaming experience. Game studios naturally do this to increase sales (3 systems > 1) while keeping costs down. But it hurts the PC market because users feel alienated and ignored. When the user feels ignored, they believe that their input means less, and they no longer care about supporting a studio. Add increased costs to this and, based on my last paragraph, it's easy to see why piracy continues to climb and PC gamers hate the devs more and more.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-10, 05:48 PM   #74
CaptnStubing
Registered User
 
CaptnStubing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,714
Default Re: BlackOps - Already leaked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
Nobody is denying that there is pirating on the PC but in fact, pirating can help game sales since the people who crack them actually promote the buying of the games.

Nothing wrong with making money but there are a lot of big, greedy companies out there that are not happy until they make more, and more money where customers suffer because of it. The best way to stick it to the man is to pirate.

What possible reason would you charge 40 for BlackOps over all other games that come in at mostly 30?
You ask the former owners of Amiga how pirating games helped their bottom line.

PC gamers really have their heads in the sand with the problems in our favored platform. Piracy is hurting us big time. This thread does nothing to help this problem. It only serves ad a ahahah gotcha nani nani booboo.

The best way to stick it to a company that isn't performing as you want them is to go to someone who does it better. Piracy is illegal, immoral and dumb.

Consoles have the edge over PCs because it costs very little to get up and running on a very good looking game. You will pay almost 3 times as much to get a moderately equipt PC.
CaptnStubing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-10, 05:58 PM   #75
Sean_W
Registered User
 
Sean_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,423
Default Re: BlackOps - Already leaked out

Commodore failed with the Amiga because of bad management CaptnStubing, not because of pirates and every platform has pirates.

PC's don't cost much for what they do. What can you do on a console? Play games, play some media. Big deal.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-10, 06:17 PM   #76
bacon12
Registered User
 
bacon12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,532
Default Re: BlackOps - Already leaked out

Stubbs good games sell very well in spite of piracy. I have at least 10 SP games on steam right now that I haven't finished because they aren't really that good. These are titles that were supposed to be great, and yet they were meh.

I think people pirate just because they can, not because they really want the game. Also MP games really can't be pirated, so thats not really a valid argument when talking about something like Black Ops.

Also hit up any popular tracker and you will see tons of xbox, and now PS3 games. So whatever dude.
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-10, 06:27 PM   #77
Sean_W
Registered User
 
Sean_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,423
Default Re: BlackOps - Already leaked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
LOL now pirating games promotes sales. Keep justifying it using that flawed logic.
It's not flawed logic at all. Why wouldn't people who pirated the game not want to go and buy the game to get full use out of it? Clearly you need to read some of the comments on such sites which prove it.

It's a common misconception that people who pirate games, don't buy games. If they like the game, they will buy it, especially if it doesn't play online.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-10, 07:07 PM   #78
ViN86
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 15,486
Default Re: BlackOps - Already leaked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
It's not flawed logic at all. Why wouldn't people who pirated the game not want to go and buy the game to get full use out of it? Clearly you need to read some of the comments on such sites which prove it.

It's a common misconception that people who pirate games, don't buy games. If they like the game, they will buy it, especially if it doesn't play online.
I'd love to see what percent of people who pirate the game actually buy it. My guess is < 1%.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-10, 07:34 PM   #79
Sean_W
Registered User
 
Sean_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,423
Default Re: BlackOps - Already leaked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
I'd love to see what percent of people who pirate the game actually buy it. My guess is < 1%.
Well, 1% of a million is 10,000 which is more than nothing. Epic gave a number in millions to who was using duplicate keys, so 1% is still a lot of copies regardless. There is no evidence that all the people who downloaded the game illegally would have brought the game either, that's just wishful thinking.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-10, 08:13 PM   #80
Logical
Registered User
 
Logical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 2,523
Default Re: BlackOps - Already leaked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
Internet authentication doesn't really work either. Most software (e.g. Adobe software) requires phone or online activation, but people often bypass that quite easily. I think it all boils down to the old adage "if there's a will, there's a way". So, from that viewpoint, the only effective way to end or minimize piracy is to remove the will.

That means lowering game prices and increasing incentive to buy the game (e.g. direct developer communication and feedback). Of course, these need to be coupled with more strict enforcement of current legislation. For large developers and big name titles, this is difficult. It's difficult to give everyone an opinion, and it's even harder to lower prices when the costs of development continue to increase. So, it's not easy. But indy studios are doing this nicely. Indy studios offer direct communication with developers, and they typically give lower prices. This is why consumers are more likely to pay for indy games rather than big name titles. Not to mention, big name titles often have cracks available. But indy games often contain no DRM.

I think what compounds this issue, are recent games and this "consolization". PC gamers are beginning to see features that cater to console users and negatively affect the PC gaming experience. Game studios naturally do this to increase sales (3 systems > 1) while keeping costs down. But it hurts the PC market because users feel alienated and ignored. When the user feels ignored, they believe that their input means less, and they no longer care about supporting a studio. Add increased costs to this and, based on my last paragraph, it's easy to see why piracy continues to climb and PC gamers hate the devs more and more.
I see your point Vin and for the most part you are right. But im talking not a one off activation but an online authentication...Every time a game is booted up it should be connected to the 'server' and authenticated as an official game 'not cracked'. A lot of multiplayer games use this feature and very rarely get bypassed. Sure people can bypass the authentication and play on 'cracked' servers but these usually die out pretty quickly and give nowhere near the benefits of that from an official game and are riddled with cheats and hackers. I'm not saying it would banish pirating altogether im simply saying it would dramatically reduce it.
Logical is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-10, 09:10 PM   #81
ViN86
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 15,486
Default Re: BlackOps - Already leaked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical View Post
I see your point Vin and for the most part you are right. But im talking not a one off activation but an online authentication...Every time a game is booted up it should be connected to the 'server' and authenticated as an official game 'not cracked'. A lot of multiplayer games use this feature and very rarely get bypassed. Sure people can bypass the authentication and play on 'cracked' servers but these usually die out pretty quickly and give nowhere near the benefits of that from an official game and are riddled with cheats and hackers. I'm not saying it would banish pirating altogether im simply saying it would dramatically reduce it.
Yea I can agree with that.

I don't pirate games because, well, it's theft and it's illegal. But another big reason why I don't is because I really only buy games for MP, and to play MP requires your own cd key. Any other games that don't have MP, I just wait until they're dirt cheap on Steam.

I'd never pay retail for only SP. Of course, that's why I have like 100 games on Steam but I haven't beaten half of them. I play the MP until I get bored, which is usually 100+ hrs, and then I move on to the next new game. For example, I played BC2 for 100+ hours, now I'm on MoH, and next I will be on COD:BO. I haven't even touched SP on BC2 or MoH.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-10, 09:35 PM   #82
CaptnStubing
Registered User
 
CaptnStubing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,714
Default Re: BlackOps - Already leaked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
Commodore failed with the Amiga because of bad management CaptnStubing, not because of pirates and every platform has pirates.

PC's don't cost much for what they do. What can you do on a console? Play games, play some media. Big deal.
A big part of their downfall was they allowed their software across the board to be copied. I was very much involved with that scene back then.

PCs cost a lot when you are just going to game on it. So it doesn't matter what it does. This is why kids play on consoles. Their parents know it is cheaper to buy an xbox than a computer that can play games.
CaptnStubing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-10, 03:41 AM   #83
K007
 
K007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Australia, Sydney
Posts: 9,406
Default Re: BlackOps - Already leaked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
Yea I can agree with that.

I don't pirate games because, well, it's theft and it's illegal. But another big reason why I don't is because I really only buy games for MP, and to play MP requires your own cd key. Any other games that don't have MP, I just wait until they're dirt cheap on Steam.

I'd never pay retail for only SP. Of course, that's why I have like 100 games on Steam but I haven't beaten half of them. I play the MP until I get bored, which is usually 100+ hrs, and then I move on to the next new game. For example, I played BC2 for 100+ hours, now I'm on MoH, and next I will be on COD:BO. I haven't even touched SP on BC2 or MoH.
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-10, 08:42 AM   #84
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,948
Default Re: BlackOps - Already leaked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
I haven't even touched SP on BC2 or MoH.
Don't bother with SP on MOH it's awful. Not only is it bad but the graphics are so dated. I really think Airborne looked better. You will feel like its 2003 again playing it and thats not a good thing...

BC2 SP was pretty good. I was surprised.

I agree with you... SP only games I wait for a deal on them. I only pay full price for games with MP like BF BC2, MOH, COD BO, etc.
__________________
i7-2600k @ 4.6Ghz, Zotac GTX 680 (1310/7000), 16GB DDR3 1600, 2 x 1TB Samsung F3 RAID 0, Windows 7 x64, CPU and GPU custom watercooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.