Go Back   nV News Forums > Website Related > Feedback Forum

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-23-10, 08:42 AM   #1
ragejg
nV News Alumni

Send a message via AIM to ragejg
Exclamation US Alexa Traffic ratings for NV News and other hardware sites

I found it interesting that we sit where we do on this list. Personally I think we deserve to be a little farther up.

Maybe you guys should start turning your wives and kids to this place. The more accounts the better!!

667 - Tomshardware.com
1,676 - Anandtech
3,193 - overclock.net
6,939 - hothardware.com
7,053 - bit-tech.net
7,150 - [H]ardOCP
7,783 - Extremetech
7,944 - Guru3D
9,374 - Techpowerup
10,167 - overclockers.com
12,013 - legitreviews
15,760 - tweaktown.com
19,001 - PC Perspective
24,024 - hardwarecanucks
34,161 - NV News
42,952 - Firingsquad
47,382 - rage3d
49,821 - overclock3d.net
107,234 - beyond3d
200,111 - elitebastards

...Xtremesystems.org should also be on this list but I can't seem to get US traffic data for them.

2010-2011 Reviews: GTX 570 | GTX 580 | GTS 450 | GTX 460 | GTX 465
Pre-2010 Reviews: 6600 GT | XMS 4400 DDR | SilenX Cooler | 6800 | 5900 XT | Personal Cinema | 5900 NU

Phenom II x6 1090t @ 4.0 ghz | Asus M498TD-EVO Am3 SLI nForce 980a | 2x EVGA GTX 560 SLI | 2x4gb DDR3-1333 | Antec EarthWatts EA650 PSU | 60gb Mushkin Calisto Enhanced Sandforce SSD | 2x WD2500KS RAID 0 | Sunbeam Tuniq 3 case | 24" Asus 19x10 LED LCD | 26" Panasonic 720p TV | Sidewinder X5 mouse | Logitech MX5500 & Revolution mouse | Altec Lansing 5.1 THX-Certified audio | Win 7 Ultimate | desk | couch

ragejg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-10, 12:32 PM   #2
bacon12

Default Re: US Alexa Traffic ratings for NV News and other hardware sites

Honestly I think if nvnews started doing more articles and reviews we would be seeing more traffic. Can't believe tom's ranks that high, wow.
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-10, 12:37 PM   #3
Drolfrawd

Send a message via MSN to Drolfrawd

well we all have heard of "Readers Wives" cough, perhaps an Idea might be to have members
do articles om their rigs etc, the build , the components used and any other relevent stuff like set up and overclocks. Could be edited by the site staff and then on to the main website.

Just an Idea
Drolfrawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-10, 04:06 PM   #4
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Darth should make an NvNews plywood case.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-10, 04:28 PM   #5
bob saget

Send a message via MSN to bob saget Send a message via Yahoo to bob saget

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
Darth should make an NvNews plywood case.
He needs to supply the ply. I got wood.....
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-10, 04:31 PM   #6
zoomy942

Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon12 View Post
Honestly I think if nvnews started doing more articles and reviews we would be seeing more traffic. Can't believe tom's ranks that high, wow.
I agree about articles.
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-10, 04:37 PM   #7
bacon12

I have offered to review phones, pc gear, software and games. Someone will need to proof read, but I would be willing to write it. I am sure there are several members who would love to as well as long as Mike C can get the stuff we will make it happen.

I love this site and want to help it grow in any way I can.
Old 10-23-10, 04:39 PM   #8
ragejg
nV News Alumni

This kinda goes back to something we talked about in months past, that NV News has been a bit more of a hangout than a hardware site in some ways. And while that's all well and good, as a happy community is a good one, the fact remains that this site is currently paid for out of MikeC's pocket, and it doesn't look like our review partners do too much in the way of using our site for ads, as we seem to have quite a few non-hardware related ads here.

I would like to announce to the community that I am currently in the process of re-establishing a review partnership with MSI, and am also reaching out to Sapphire, as well as other hardware companies. As some of you might know, we've done a lot of MSI reviews over the years, but a little over a year ago that stopped. I'm reintroducing MSI to NV News, and at this point their video card and motherboard people are excited about the prospect of having us evaluate and publish articles on their hardware.

Overall, I'm doing all I can to help drive new traffic here... I'm hoping that the news items I post on the front page (and by proxy in the News Headlines section) incite discussion as well as brings visitors to here (as some of the stuff I'm posting is a little on the exclusive side) ... and I'm also looking into establishing an NV News Facebook page and possibly other beneficial social networking capabilities, as well as the possibility of doing some video reviews.

For what it's worth, Mike has not had much time for some NV News things, and I have stepped in to help keep things rolling. We appreciate any suggestions, as what really keeps this place afloat is the good people (and the seething pit called the P&R forum )

This is a great community with a great history, and great connections. Here's to a prosperous future.

Pre-2010 Reviews: 6600 GT | XMS 4400 DDR | SilenX Cooler | 6800 | 5900 XT | Personal Cinema | 5900 NU

Phenom II x6 1090t @ 4.0 ghz | Asus M498TD-EVO Am3 SLI nForce 980a | 2x EVGA GTX 560 SLI | 2x4gb DDR3-1333 | Antec EarthWatts EA650 PSU | 60gb Mushkin Calisto Enhanced Sandforce SSD | 2x WD2500KS RAID 0 | Sunbeam Tuniq 3 case | 24" Asus 19x10 LED LCD | 26" Panasonic 720p TV | Sidewinder X5 mouse | Logitech MX5500 & Revolution mouse | Altec Lansing 5.1 THX-Certified audio | Win 7 Ultimate | desk | couch

Old 10-23-10, 04:57 PM   #9
Drolfrawd

Send a message via MSN to Drolfrawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragejg View Post
This kinda goes back to something we talked about in months past, that NV News has been a bit more of a hangout than a hardware site in some ways. And while that's all well and good, as a happy community is a good one, the fact remains that this site is currently paid for out of MikeC's pocket, and it doesn't look like our review partners do too much in the way of using our site for ads, as we seem to have quite a few non-hardware related ads here.

I would like to announce to the community that I am currently in the process of re-establishing a review partnership with MSI, and am also reaching out to Sapphire, as well as other hardware companies. As some of you might know, we've done a lot of MSI reviews over the years, but a little over a year ago that stopped. I'm reintroducing MSI to NV News, and at this point their video card and motherboard people are excited about the prospect of having us evaluate and publish articles on their hardware.

Overall, I'm doing all I can to help drive new traffic here... I'm hoping that the news items I post on the front page (and by proxy in the News Headlines section) incite discussion as well as brings visitors to here (as some of the stuff I'm posting is a little on the exclusive side) ... and I'm also looking into establishing an NV News Facebook page and possibly other beneficial social networking capabilities, as well as the possibility of doing some video reviews.

For what it's worth, Mike has not had much time for some NV News things, and I have stepped in to help keep things rolling. We appreciate any suggestions, as what really keeps this place afloat is the good people (and the seething pit called the P&R forum )

This is a great community with a great history, and great connections. Here's to a prosperous future.
Here here
Drolfrawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-10, 05:12 PM   #10
ragejg
nV News Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolfrawd View Post
well we all have heard of "Readers Wives" cough, perhaps an Idea might be to have members
do articles om their rigs etc, the build , the components used and any other relevent stuff like set up and overclocks. Could be edited by the site staff and then on to the main website.

Just an Idea
That's a pretty cool idea Drolfrawd.. the only problem is that every hardware site listed in the OP and their respective communities already have their own "members rigs" threads that have 25-500 pages, and are just general brag threads. We have them too, and I kinda find it hard to be interested in the "members rigs" section at [H] or rage3d.

What's really going to get people here fast and in a good way is reporting news items early and often. I am extremely thankful to be able to talk with NVIDIA PR Dept quite readily at any time, and it's not difficult to ask questions as an editorialist and actually get accurate and applicable answers quite fast.

What we need to be able to do is to be able to have that flexibility and speed of information with all of our review partners. [H] and Tom's should once again (as it once was) be linking to stories that NV News posted. I mean, the fact remains that we are the fansite of a pioneering and technologically diverse graphics technology company, yet we report on news from all corners of the GPU-related market... and it's also worth remembering that we've been around a LOT longer than most of the other tech sites on the web.

And yeah, articles, articles, articles. I'm clearing my schedule for the most part so I can almost exclusively work on them, so I'm hoping that between now and the holiday season I'll be able to push several important articles out... It is kinda funny though about what articles get what traffic. For example the GTX 465 review I published took two months to get 8000 reads I think. The GTS 450 review also has a low read count. However, the GTX 460 review got 10,000 reads in a week. So the product has to be right, the timing has to be right, and the review scenario has to be right IMO. When a GTX 580 review comes out for example, are you going to go to the review that only compares it against itself, stock vs. overclocked, are you going to read a head-to-head review, or are you going to read a head-to-head review that also has some juicy and possibly controversial information about the new technologies?

I'm thinking hard about how to implement my ideas, as this site is a great basis for GPU news and reviews, an awesome community, humongous Linux support, Bob Saget, and maybe in the future some video reviews or other innovative ways to dish on the GPU industry.

Old 10-23-10, 05:17 PM   #11
bacon12

There are several areas for improvement like this for instance. This is the first I have heard of it.
Old 10-23-10, 05:24 PM   #12
ragejg
nV News Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon12 View Post
There are several areas for improvement like this for instance. This is the first I have heard of it.
They only beat us by an hour reporting on that.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...75&postcount=1

Question: Does everyone ignore the News Headlines Forum? I post news in there which is usally stuff that I had put on the front page. ... And although the "News Feed" bot is a bit, it's MikeC's bot which gets HIS hand-picked news. I try to flesh out the New feed posts if they look thin, and I do try to make sure that the "purely mine" News Headlines posts have a fair amount to read...

Maybe people don't browse this forum like I do? I hit "new posts" a lot, maybe some of you just stay in a specific forum and maybe that's why you're not seeing the news that's reported here?