Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-09, 12:41 PM   #1
Jeep

Default Run Virtual XP in Vista

Hi -
I'm running Windows XP Pro on half of a 500GB drive and Windows Vista 64-bit on the other half--one physical drive. Because a program does not function well in Vista, I would like to set up XP in virtual mode on the Vista drive so that I would not have to shutdown and reboot to run the program from the XP drive. Will the fact that XP Pro is running in normal mode on the one drive pose any problem in setting up XP in virtual mode on the Vista drive? Will appreciate any help or comment on this proposed setup. Thanks.
Old 10-17-09, 02:06 PM   #2
JasonPC

Default Re: Run Virtual XP in Vista

You can install Virtual PC 2007 for free and install Windows XP (must be a non-OEM version). However the integrated features of Virtual XP mode are only in Windows 7 as is the free download of Windows XP for the Professional Version of 7. The non-virtual installation of Windows XP on your computer will not be affected at all.
Old 10-17-09, 04:09 PM   #3
Jeep

Thanks, Jason. My XP Pro is an OEM version, so I guess that shoots down virtualization. Kim Komando says the same XP virtual mode is available through Vista(?). My whole reason for thinking in this vein is because Adobe InDesign margins do not print accurately in Windows 7 RC or Vista 64 using my HP 2610 printer. I assume a new printer would solve my problem as the program seems to run well otherwise in both Vista and Windows 7 RC.
Old 10-18-09, 04:21 PM   #4
JasonPC

As far as I know the only way to get Virtual XP mode is to buy Windows 7 Professional. It's a more of a feature specific to the OS because as I know the Vista version of Virtual PC 2007 doesn't have the integration features of Virtual XP. I believe the new version of Virtual PC 2007 and the Virtual XP download do not work on Vista but only Windows 7.

Does HP offer any Vista support for that printer?
Old 10-21-09, 11:12 AM   #5
Jeep

Jason: No, 64-bit not supported, HP says. Was just about to buy a new printer but before doing so am wondering if it could be that the 64-bit mode in my Vista and 7-RC is the underlying cause of the problem and not Vista or 7-RC per se. Don't know about drivers for Vista and WIN 7 32-bit. But how to check that out is another question.

I've heard that in the course of installing Win 7 Ultimate a choice can be made between 32 or 64.
Old 10-21-09, 05:15 PM   #6
JasonPC

Professional lets you make the choice of installing 32 and 64-bit. That was only Vista that Ultimate came with both DVDs. Even with Vista you could order a 64-bit DVD for a nominal fee. In any event the keys work for both 32 and 64-bit versions of the OS, you just need the right disk. Ultimate is a little bit of a ripoff if you ask me, though it's a little more reasonably priced this time around.
Old 11-03-10, 07:06 AM   #7
Bearclaw

Jeep - I would HIGHLY recommend installing W7 Pro with a XP virtual machine. Download XP Mode for free from MS. It lets you run an XP virtual machine (no need for an XP key). You can install your programs there and it will run fine. I use it at work, runs great.

Last edited by Bearclaw; 11-04-10 at 10:56 AM.

Old 11-03-10, 05:57 PM   #8
ViN86

Use Windows 7 (Pro or Ultimate) and then download XP Mode for free from MS. It lets you run an XP virtual machine (no need for an XP key). You can install your programs there and it will run fine.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/vir.../download.aspx

Old 11-03-10, 06:57 PM   #9
zoomy942

Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942

agreed with the above comments about xp mode.

we use it on a few machines here at work and it runs perfectly fine.
Old 11-04-10, 09:42 PM   #10
JasonPC

Way to bring up a year old thread
Old 11-04-10, 10:46 PM   #11
ViN86

LOL didn't even notice that. Damn you Bearclaw.
Closed Thread