Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > Other Desktop Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-29-03, 08:42 PM   #1
NAZCA M12
Master Thief

Default Question regarding 9800 Pro - FX5900 characteristic

Hey there, i've got a question concerning my future video card. I've been thinking of buying either an ATI9800 Pro or an FX5900 card, i really like both of them. However, on my GF 3 Ti500 i've seen that the detonator drivers give the user the option of a "digital vibrance" slider which makes the colours on the screen more vibrant on the fly, without having to adjust the monitor to have the same result. Now i know that the GF 2 for example didn't have that characteristic. Recently i played SC and it would get stuck on the Ti500 so i had to play it on the old GF 2 instead. It looked pretty ****ty without the vibrant colours. I'd like to ask if the ATI cards have a similar option in their drivers, i know it sounds a minute detail to some but i would appreciate some feedback.
NAZCA M12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-03, 09:16 PM   #2
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

This was a feature ATI was supposed to have implemented in their drivers a few sets back, but from what I've heard this is not going to happen. A lot of folks who have had NVIDIA cards then switched to ATI have wanted this feature (which was supported on the GeForce2 MX by the way). I don't think it will ever get put in, however my former 9800 Pro had perfect color saturation and I didn't miss DV at all.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-03, 06:28 AM   #3
XForce

I consider DV something like "loudness" on hifi systems:
it may sound better on bad/small speakers, but it's futile if the speakers (= signal stage of the card & monitor) are good in the first place.

Good analogy?

Also, I can imagine that DV was originally introduced to counter the imense output IQ problems due to OEMs using inferior components in the output/filter section of their cards during the GF3 days.

Is that correct?

Thanks & cheers,
Mac
Old 07-30-03, 09:13 AM   #4
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally posted by XForce
Also, I can imagine that DV was originally introduced to counter the imense output IQ problems due to OEMs using inferior components in the output/filter section of their cards during the GF3 days.

Is that correct?

Thanks & cheers,
Mac
Not really. All DV does is change color saturation. If you have problems with blurry text in 2D/textures in 3D/wavy lines/etc (which would be caused by poor filters), all the DV in the world ain't gonna help that.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-03, 04:01 PM   #5
Ruined

Quote:
Originally posted by XForce
Good analogy?
It's really just a way to get better looking video out of your current monitor. You are right, stating that getting a better monitor might solve the problem, but not everyone has the cash for a new monitor, especially when they want to upgrade to the latest and fastest videocard.

Anyway, if you want those controls go with the FX5900.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66GHz CPU | Intel G965WH mobo | 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2-667mhz CAS5 RAM (1066MHz FSB) | BFG GeForce 285 GTX OC 1GB | Dell E228WFP 22" DVI-HDCP LCD Monitor | 1TB Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Main Drive | 500GBx2 Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Scratch Drives in RAID0 | Western Digital RE3 1TB SATA2 Media Drive | External 2TB Western Digital MyBook Backup Drive | Adaptec eSATA 3.0gbps PCI-E interface | Sandisk External 12-in-1 Flash Card Reader | LG GGC-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD writer | LG GGW-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD/BD writer | Microsoft E4000 Ergonomic Keyboard | Logitech Trackman Wheel | Antec P182 ATX Case | Thermaltake ToughPower XT 850w modular PSU | KRK RP-8 Rokit Studio Monitors | Windows Vista Ultimate x64
Ruined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-03, 09:09 PM   #6
NAZCA M12
Master Thief

Thanks everyone for your feedback. My monitor is a Viewsonic VE170mb (black). I think it's still a pretty good one. Of course i could just make the colours more vibrant from the monitor's OSD but it's not enough, through the card they're more vibrant (i'm running the slider on full). I guess i'll buy a 5900 Ultra now, and sth like a 9800 AIW for the second PC, which then won't be "second" anymore, right guys?
NAZCA M12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-03, 09:49 PM   #7
5150 Joker
100% Certified nVidiot

Quote:
Originally posted by NAZCA M12
Thanks everyone for your feedback. My monitor is a Viewsonic VE170mb (black). I think it's still a pretty good one. Of course i could just make the colours more vibrant from the monitor's OSD but it's not enough, through the card they're more vibrant (i'm running the slider on full). I guess i'll buy a 5900 Ultra now, and sth like a 9800 AIW for the second PC, which then won't be "second" anymore, right guys?
Hey while you're at it how about buying me a card too?

Desktop: DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR | AMD64 3000+@2.6ghz | Leadtek 7800 GTX | 2 GB Crucial PC3200 | 2x120 GB 8mb WD | Dell 2005FPW 20" LCD | Antec "TrueControl" v2 550w PSU | Lian Li PC75 modded case with H20 Cooling

Laptop: XPS Gen 2 | Samsung LCD | P-M 2.13 | nVidia 6800 Go Ultra | 2 GB DDR2 | 60GB 7200RPM HD | 8x DVD-RW/CD-RW| Dell Wireless 1450 a/b/g | Windows XP Home | 3 Yr Warranty/Complete Care.
5150 Joker is offline   Reply With Quote