Go Back   nV News Forums > General Forums > Archived News Items

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-29-10, 05:20 AM   #1
News

Post Trying AMD HD3D Technology with Panasonic 3D HDTV (TX-P50VT20E)

When I got the Panasonic 3D HDTV (TX-P50VT20E) I was eager to try out the recently announced AMD HD3D Technology with the TV as well as the 3DTV Play functionality from Nvidia, although I've already seen the later in action. So I started with a quick test with 3DTV Play and as expected everything worked just fine by using a 5 meter DVI to HDMI cable to connect the GTX 480 to the 3D TV, the driver immediately detected the TV and enabled the 3DTV Play functionality. Everything was running just fine and I was able to try out some games in both 720p and 1080p in 3D, as well as Play a Blu-ray 3D movie with PowerDVD 10 Mark II, watch a few clips with the 3D Vision Video Player and play a few 3D photos. Everything worked pretty much fine, apart from having some trouble with a few games to make them work in 3D mode at 1080p resolution with 24Hz. The other thing that kind of surprised me was the red warning message I've got when I tried running a game at 1280√?720 at 60Hz per eye in stereo 3D mode with 8xAA ' the drivers have automatically lowered the AA to 4x to ensure better performance. Now, that would be acceptable if you have a low end video card, but with two 480s in SLI running at 720p 3D mode with 8xAA should be like a breeze‚?¶ I'd might want to try playing at 64xAA, because at 4xAA with that resolution you are still quite far from smooth edges. But anyway, I'll dig more into that later on when I have more time to test that, so now let me get back to the AMD HD3D Technology with the 3D TV‚?¶

Now, switching to the other AMD-based system with an ATI Radeon HD 5970 video card I was ready to test the Panasonic 3D HDTV with the same cable and with the software that AMD and their partners provide for ensuring the support for their AMD HD3D Technology. Just to make sure I reinstalled the required Catalyst 10.10 drivers, installed the latest DDD TriDef software that has support for HDMI 1.4a transmission of stereoscopic 3D content (the latest iZ3D Driver still does not support that). However when I the TriDef 3D Experience launcher (you can see that on the video) or TriDef 3D Ignition with a game the result was kind of disappointing. The depth of the 3D objects can be seen, however there is a weird flicker and a lot of annoying flashing artifacts on the screen that totally ruin the experience. I'm not sure where the problem lies yet, because for example on AMD's supported hardware page there is no mention of the TX-P50VT20E, but there is support for TC-P50VT20 which is pretty much the same. But the reason for the problem might not be that at all, but in the fact that you need a 6000 series video card in order to use that mode, although AMD and DDD say on their websites that the AMD HD3D Technology is compatible with 5000 and 6000 series of GPUs.

So if you have a 3D HDTV and an ATI/AMD video card from the 5000/6000 series you can try the DDD TriDef software and its HDMI 1.4a mode for 3D and report your success or lack of such in the comments below. The TriDef software is available with a 14 day trial period, so you can download and test it on your system without actually having to buy anything. Also anyone else having the same issue with his setup as shown on the video above?

Related posts you might be interested in:

More...
News is offline   Reply With Quote