Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-30-10, 05:37 PM   #1
chmmr

Default Word from Nvidia on HDMI audio disabling?

Several people have had a problem similar to mine (documented here) in which analog audio is ignored by a TV because it's getting an empty audio signal over the HDMI connection (DVI adapter or no) that serves the TV video: example A, example B.

There are two workarounds for this problem that are tedious, risky and only comprehensible to very advanced users: 1) disable EDID from xorg.org conf and provide a custom modeline that tells the TV how to display properly, and 2) hex-edit an extracted EDID to disable the TV's understanding of an HDMI audio signal.

This problem affects Windows users as well, and Nvidia support issued a fix in the form of the Vista-specific "DLP hotfix" utility.

It has been brought up before, but I'm wondering if Nvidia ever intends to provide some user-visible, preferably user-friendly way of disabling the HDMI audio output of its video cards. One of the folks in that thread I linked emailed linux-bugs@nvidia.com, but I'm assuming nothing was done about it, because that was two years ago and there have been several major driver releases since then. Aside from my specific problem, there are several legitimate reasons a user would want to do this.

When I bought my card (a Gigabyte GT 240), the HDMI audio wasn't even mentioned anywhere on the box or in the manual. It was only when I upgraded to Ubuntu 10.10, and a new version of ALSA / Nvidia drivers caused the audio device to start half-working, that I started to have this problem. One concern is that less experienced users (the kind Ubuntu seems to be reaching out to) or Windows switchers will assume this convoluted situation is a Linux/Ubuntu problem, when in fact it's a TV (Samsung in my case, and they've repeatedly told people to consult their video card maker) problem and an Nvidia problem.

I realize the Nvidia Linux drivers don't touch sound at all, but it's still their hardware / software, so it would be nice to hear if they are aware of the problem and if so what they intend to do about it.

I'm happy to provide more info if needed. Thanks!
chmmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-10, 12:08 PM   #2
dura91

Default Re: Word from Nvidia on HDMI audio disabling?

Have you tried to disable the snd_hda_codec_nvhdmi module ? If this works it's more user friendly than manipulating EDID.
dura91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-10, 04:11 PM   #3
DeiF

This single thing is the only one that keeps me from still needing to manually edit xorg.conf.
DeiF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-10, 05:17 PM   #4
chmmr

Quote:
Have you tried to disable the snd_hda_codec_nvhdmi module ? If this works it's more user friendly than manipulating EDID.
Yes, I did try that, and it had no effect other than the expected - the HDMI audio device stopped appearing in Pulseaudio / ALSA's list of available devices.
Old 10-31-10, 06:36 PM   #5
primerib

I don't see how this is an Nvidia problem. If your tv maker didn't consider these situations, or it wasn't cost-effective to implement, or lack of demand then I guess more research should have been put into finding a tv that suits your needs.

Also, I don't see any real problem with disabling EDID in xorg.conf. I know several linux (htpc) newbies who have managed to come up with working modelines for their tv/monitors so to say doing this is "tedious, risky and only comprehensible to very advanced users" simply isn't true. From what I've seen, most average users seem to get it figured out just fine.

In all honesty I can't imagine it's more then a small handful of people wanting HDMI video coupled with analog audio in the first place.

Have you tried routing your analog output through the Nvidia audio device? Do you actually _need_ analog audio for some (outdated) reason?
primerib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-10, 11:39 AM   #6
Stephen Warren

We do have a bug filed to attempt to solve this issue.
Stephen Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-10, 01:16 PM   #7
chmmr

Fantastic, thank you.
Old 07-16-11, 03:20 PM   #8
chmmr

Dunno if this has been looked into any further yet. I still have this problem in Ubuntu 11.04 with the 270.41.06 drivers.

http://techgage.com/news/disabling_n...o_under_linux/

"The best possible fix for this problem would be for NVIDIA to allow the disabling of HDMI audio (this wouldn't affect the video) inside of its control center."