Go Back   nV News Forums > General Forums > Archived News Items

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-03-10, 10:48 AM   #25
-=DVS=-
.:. Lafiel .:.
 
-=DVS=-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Outerspace
Posts: 3,009
Default Re: Front Page - GTX 580 Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
I call BS on those numbers as the GTX 480 does not get 1.7 times the 5870's performance in heaven even on extreme tessellation, 1.25 times would be a more appropriate figure.
Geeks3D would disagree with you. In their benchmark GF480 is 1.8+ times faster.

GF480
Res: 19201080 fullscreen
Tessellation mode: Extreme
- Score: 970
- FPS = 38.5
- Min FPS = 17.6
- Max FPS = 95.5

RD5870
Res: 19201080 fullscreen
Tessellation mode: Extreme
- Score: 531
- FPS = 21.1
- Min FPS = 6.5
- Max FPS = 74.4
__________________
.:. Lian Li X500FX .:. i7 2600k .:. PNY GTX 680 .:. Corsair DDR3 8GB .:. Silverstone 800W PSU .:. Asus P8P67-M Pro .:. Crucial M4 SSD 512GB .:.
-=DVS=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-10, 05:56 PM   #26
Johnny C
Passing you @ 192mph
 
Johnny C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Canada, EH!
Posts: 779
Default Re: Front Page - GTX 580 Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=DVS=- View Post
Geeks3D would disagree with you. In their benchmark GF480 is 1.8+ times faster.

GF480
Res: 19201080 fullscreen
Tessellation mode: Extreme
- Score: 970
- FPS = 38.5
- Min FPS = 17.6
- Max FPS = 95.5

RD5870
Res: 19201080 fullscreen
Tessellation mode: Extreme
- Score: 531
- FPS = 21.1
- Min FPS = 6.5
- Max FPS = 74.4
Thanks for the info

Did you notice that the Radeon is rendering in dx11 but the Nv cards are rendering in OGL 4 so it's not apples to apples.

Cherry picked results, not representative of real world performance.

In fact I call BS on every version of heaven past 1.0, why did they feel the need to apply an even more ridiculous level of tessellation? Everyone remember the leaks during the weeks leading up to the fermi Launch how they cherry picked a small section of the heaven demo (version 2.0 btw) and said it was 2 times faster than the competition. It ended up being 20% faster..
__________________
Phenom II 965BE @ 3.9ghz 200X19.5 1.4625 vcore 2.8ghz NB 2.4ghz HT - Asus M4A79XTD-EVO bios 0604 - 12GB Corsair DDR3 1600 @ 1600mhz CAS 9 w/1T - XFX 6970 2GB 950/1450 - Xigmatek S1283 HSF - Antec 900 - Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Johnny C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-10, 06:25 PM   #27
Maverick123w
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,841
Send a message via AIM to Maverick123w
Default Re: Front Page - GTX 580 Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragejg View Post
Seems it might be a good upgrade for guys like me who have run ~$200-$259 cards who'd like to step up to something faster.
I imagine 2x 460 1GB especially when overclocked will beat the 580 in performance and destroy it in price.
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-10, 06:50 PM   #28
Scendore
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 198
Default Re: Front Page - GTX 580 Specs

I recently picked up my EVGA Superclocked 480. It was a really nice upgrade moving from 2 8800GTs in SLI. The only reason why I made the move abou 20 days ago was due to the fact at that time it didn't seem like there would be a refresh. I too was waiting for a refresh from Nivida. Oh well I may have made my purchase a little too soon. I'm still under the return policy maybe I should return it until we get some real numbers.

I'm sure ATI's offering will be competative however they aren't doing so well in the area of 3d.
Scendore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-10, 06:55 PM   #29
Maverick123w
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,841
Send a message via AIM to Maverick123w
Default Re: Front Page - GTX 580 Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scendore View Post
I recently picked up my EVGA Superclocked 480. It was a really nice upgrade moving from 2 8800GTs in SLI. The only reason why I made the move abou 20 days ago was due to the fact at that time it didn't seem like there would be a refresh. I too was waiting for a refresh from Nivida. Oh well I may have made my purchase a little too soon. I'm still under the return policy maybe I should return it until we get some real numbers.

I'm sure ATI's offering will be competative however they aren't doing so well in the area of 3d.
Just sign up for evgas step-up program
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-10, 06:59 PM   #30
Johnny C
Passing you @ 192mph
 
Johnny C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Canada, EH!
Posts: 779
Default Re: Front Page - GTX 580 Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick123w View Post
Just sign up for evgas step-up program
Evga is the best AIB in the world! Step up to a 580, just pay the difference.

I hope it really is as fast as 2 460's in SLI
__________________
Phenom II 965BE @ 3.9ghz 200X19.5 1.4625 vcore 2.8ghz NB 2.4ghz HT - Asus M4A79XTD-EVO bios 0604 - 12GB Corsair DDR3 1600 @ 1600mhz CAS 9 w/1T - XFX 6970 2GB 950/1450 - Xigmatek S1283 HSF - Antec 900 - Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Johnny C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-10, 08:22 PM   #31
Scendore
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 198
Default Re: Front Page - GTX 580 Specs

Well SLI has been good and bad... While great for scaling it doesn't come without some problems. Some older games quite frankly just don't play nice with SLI and you can get studdering. I have gotten a lot out of my SLI rig so I can't really complain but it really comes down to if you want to tinker.

I like the fact I can slap in a single card and call it day. No more profile nonsense and goofy crashes.
Scendore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-10, 08:23 PM   #32
-=DVS=-
.:. Lafiel .:.
 
-=DVS=-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Outerspace
Posts: 3,009
Default Re: Front Page - GTX 580 Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
Thanks for the info

Did you notice that the Radeon is rendering in dx11 but the Nv cards are rendering in OGL 4 so it's not apples to apples.

Cherry picked results, not representative of real world performance.

In fact I call BS on every version of heaven past 1.0, why did they feel the need to apply an even more ridiculous level of tessellation? Everyone remember the leaks during the weeks leading up to the fermi Launch how they cherry picked a small section of the heaven demo (version 2.0 btw) and said it was 2 times faster than the competition. It ended up being 20% faster..
You need to check your vision , or drop your fanboy eyes. Benchmark is very much apples to apples.

__________________
.:. Lian Li X500FX .:. i7 2600k .:. PNY GTX 680 .:. Corsair DDR3 8GB .:. Silverstone 800W PSU .:. Asus P8P67-M Pro .:. Crucial M4 SSD 512GB .:.
-=DVS=- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-10, 08:28 PM   #33
Roadhog
Resident Alien
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 6,776
Default Re: Front Page - GTX 580 Specs

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...review-21.html
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-10, 08:35 PM   #34
-=DVS=-
.:. Lafiel .:.
 
-=DVS=-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Outerspace
Posts: 3,009
Lightbulb Re: Front Page - GTX 580 Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
Another good example is hardwarecanucks.com they tested Normal tessellation level but with 4xAA 16xAF , And GF480 does 1.45 times better then RD5870 at 1920x1200.
__________________
.:. Lian Li X500FX .:. i7 2600k .:. PNY GTX 680 .:. Corsair DDR3 8GB .:. Silverstone 800W PSU .:. Asus P8P67-M Pro .:. Crucial M4 SSD 512GB .:.
-=DVS=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-10, 08:51 PM   #35
Roadhog
Resident Alien
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 6,776
Default Re: Front Page - GTX 580 Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=DVS=- View Post
Another good example is hardwarecanucks.com they tested Normal tessellation level but with 4xAA 16xAF , And GF480 does 1.45 times better then RD5870 at 1920x1200.
HUH
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.