Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-14-10, 01:55 PM   #25
Lyme

Default Re: Anyone get a Kinect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vardant View Post
There's not much they can do at this point. Only try to block it with newer HW revision. Once you buy it, it's yours and writing your own driver is not illegal.

This might actually convince me to buy it in the future, if they can come up with some cool stuff for the PC.
In the USA they can through the normal mis-use of the DCMA like everyone else seems to do. However it is unlikely that they will as "rumors" have it that the Kinect is sold at a profit.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-10, 07:19 PM   #26
turdhat

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterdan View Post
Thanks Bob. I think I'll name my pet leopard after you in the game.
Got one two days ago. Bought Kinect Sports (blast) and your shape fitness evolved and I am so sore I didnt use kinect much today.

Your shape is a really awesome product and it will kick you ass up and down as it did mine. Scans your body and tells how tall you are, how long your arms, legs, torso etc are and it guessed my weight within 3 pounds !

I have to say my biggest gripe would be that placement of the device can be a pain. I had to move my couch back 5 feet. This thing needs more room that they say. 8 feet min and 10 feet optimal. I bought a mount to mount it on top of my set and raised it much higher that the top of set to my eye level. Would be perfect if there was a way to get sensor back about another foot at its present height.

It is a blast and I can only imagine what they will come up for it. You could sit down and play an fps and lean your head to look around corners for instance.

It has already been hacked by some pc guys and there is some open source software for picture manipulation.

Love it but still have a bit of an issue with my playspace. My wife loves it and it was her idea to by it. I was going to pass because I thought it would cause my neck problem to flair up with all that moving about but so far so good. So glad my wife is into this stuff. Playing connect sports has been a total blast. Bowling and table tennis are great. I want to keep going on about it and I really want to play it but I am sooooooo sore. Burned 225 calories in one setting and man I am so sore everywhere. This thing will get you in shape if you use it. Wii, move has nothing on this thing !
Gigabyte 580 @945/2232
4 Gigs Ripjaw @ 1600
Antec (a good one) 650w
A Partridge in a pear tree.
turdhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-10, 07:35 PM   #27
betterdan

Glad you had fun with it Turdhat. Yea this thing gets me sore too.
Old 11-15-10, 08:15 AM   #28
turdhat

Quote:
Glad you had fun with it Turdhat. Yea this thing gets me sore too.

Did you have any playspace issues. I am backing up against my couch often and really cant move it back anymore. My couch is about 9 feet from the sensor and since my tv is my main pc monitor moving back means not being able to read a lot of windows text. Already raised font size in win 7 and I have perfect vision.

Using that calibration card is another thing. Are you supposed to hold it out in front of you are against your body. I cant find an answer to that. I have to hold it flat to my body to get the last one to line up because I cant go back any further. Getting the sensor up to to eye level seems to be what most are saying works best. Now if I could just get it back about a foot. May make a trip to lowes today and look around for things I might be able to rig to this bracket to achieve the space I need. As of right now i have it rigged with the bracket and my old doom 3 retail box. Dont ask..... hehe
Gigabyte 580 @945/2232
4 Gigs Ripjaw @ 1600
Antec (a good one) 650w
A Partridge in a pear tree.
turdhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-10, 09:32 PM   #29
betterdan

I have the Kinect on top of the tv a little over 5 feet up. There is 9 feet straight out from that to play in and about 5.5 feet across. The play space straight out is perfect but the couch and the fireplace are in the way across and 5.5 feet works but it is pretty tight. If something is on the very side of the screen and you have to reach for then it becomes a problem.
I hope that makes sense.
Old 11-15-10, 09:38 PM   #30
bob saget

Send a message via MSN to bob saget Send a message via Yahoo to bob saget

Quote:
I have the Kinect on top of the tv a little over 5 feet up. There is 9 feet straight out from that to play in and about 5.5 feet across. The play space straight out is perfect but the couch and the fireplace are in the way across and 5.5 feet works but it is pretty tight. If something is on the very side of the screen and you have to reach for then it becomes a problem.
I hope that makes sense.
now gimme dimensions of your bedroom
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-10, 09:42 PM   #31
betterdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob saget View Post
now gimme dimensions of your bedroom
Well start at the bed then go about 9 feet out till you reach the door then keep ****ing going till you are the hell out of my house. YOU FREAK!
Old 11-15-10, 09:46 PM   #32
bob saget

Send a message via MSN to bob saget Send a message via Yahoo to bob saget

Quote:
Well start at the bed then go about 9 feet out till you reach the door then keep ****ing going till you are the hell out of my house. YOU FREAK!
Really? 9 feet? I guess the camera angle makes room look smaller....
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-10, 05:31 PM   #33
betterdan

You are a damn freak.
Old 11-18-10, 11:51 PM   #34
Lyme

I have to push the couch back every time I play two player Kinect, but I did the same for playing rock band with lots of people over too.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-10, 06:38 AM   #35
LovingSticky
plenty of work, no games

I love Ubisoft's YourShape Fitness Evolved. The best personal trainer there is I would get Kinect even if this was the only "game" in existence.

http://yourshapecenter.uk.ubi.com//index
Old 11-26-10, 07:39 AM   #36
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Was in Best Buy Wednesday and saw the Kinect demo. Zero people using it. Guess that is the disadvantage when you don't have a controller, nobody knows you are demoing something.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote