Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-05-10, 04:34 PM   #13
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Default Re: Parts Ordered!!! New Build tomorrow... YESSS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by red777star View Post
If you can afford it i would go with Raid 1 SSD or Raid 0 SSD setup. It is something amazing.
Why would you do raid 1 on an SSD setup? That is the largest waste of money ever.
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-10, 04:42 PM   #14
v3rninater
Blowin up since 1969

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
Why would you do raid 1 on an SSD setup? That is the largest waste of money ever.
Agreed, until they get trim support, or until they make it so SSD's don't get bogged down after lots of use.

People-A, AHCI mode won't affect your other drives, AHCI mode is like an open mode for SATA that will allow any SATA device to use it's full features.

Don't worry man, it's a good build, I'm excited for Black Ops, and the new cards coming out really soon. I wish that the AMD and NV cards would release at the same time, or a week apart. The 69xx cards are coming in December, GAH that's a long time to wait with a new NV card out there. Wish they would release numbers before the release of the cards!!!
Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 3.4ghz 1600fsb || Gigabyte P45 EP45-UD3R stable as a rooock! || 4gb G-Skill DDR2 PC8500 5-5-5-15 || EVGA 580-GTX 1.5gb || Creative Fatal1ty Xram Sound Card 7.1 ||G-Skill Phoenix Pro SSD 120gb|| WD BLACK 32mb cache 640gb HD || 2x Samsung DVD burner 16x DVD+\- || Corsair 620watt PSU
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit (640gb hd)

AMD Phenom II X6 T1090 || Gigabyte GA880 || 4gb G-skill Ripjaw DDR3 1600 || MSI 8800 Ultra o/c || WD BLACK 32mb cache 640gb HD || ASUS DVD Burner || XFX 750 watt PSU

LG 60" 1080p 600Hz Plasma HDTV 60PS11
Xbox 360
v3rninater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-10, 04:46 PM   #15
red777star

Quote:
Cause performance is pretty much same as Raid 0. Yes you lose all the space of one SSD but you get amazing performance and also backup. Speaking of trimming. HDD Erase 3.3 will do a magic for most of SSDs. It restore to its factory speed.
red777star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-10, 04:47 PM   #16
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
Cause performance is pretty much same as Raid 0. Yes you lose all the space of one SSD but you get amazing performance and also backup.
obviously you dont know what raid 1 is.
Old 11-05-10, 04:50 PM   #17
red777star

Quote:
obviously you dont know what raid 1 is.
Read performance is as Raid 0
Raid 0 - 2x80gb = 160gb max read/write speed
Raid 1 - 2x80gb = 80gb max read/slower write then with Raid 0 but faster then single drive
In Raid 1 you can unplug one of your drives and system will work fine
In Raid 0 if any of drives goes bad you lose everything

Ok?

Since there is no Trim support for Intel 80Gb G1 model, after 6+ months i perform secured erase on each of them using HDD Erase 3.3 and it gets restored to full speed. Raid 1 is very handy there cause i don't have to rebuild system.
red777star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-10, 05:05 PM   #18
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
Read performance is as Raid 0
Raid 0 - 2x80gb = 160gb max read/write speed
Raid 1 - 2x80gb = 80gb max read/slower write then with Raid 0
In Raid 1 you can unplug one of your drives and system will work fine
In Raid 0 if any of drives goes bad you lose everything

Ok?
Sure the read speed of raid 1 can come close to raid 0, but you need to do duplexing, 2 or more controllers depending on the number of drives you have. Those come with a hefty price tag. You can also do software RAID 1 to get the read speeds. But that's kind of pointless since you can't boot off it then.

For onboard controllers, RAID 1 is not worth it at all with SSD's. It's pretty easy and much cheaper to do a nightly backup to a mechanical drive of your RAID 0 array.
Old 11-05-10, 05:06 PM   #19
Peoples-Agent
Vape Therapist

I have no intention of using RAID, at all. Don't see the point with the joys of SSD good as they are.

The drive I bought supports TRIM which is suppose to help out matters.

Funny thing, my biggest worry about this build is fitting the blasted cpu cooler. I haven't done it in years, and they were never this big and bulky.

Pretty much looks like I will have to install it while the motherboard is in the case, support it with one hand and then reach around? lol (That sounds so wrong.)
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.
Peoples-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-10, 05:08 PM   #20
Peoples-Agent
Vape Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by v3rninater View Post
Agreed, until they get trim support, or until they make it so SSD's don't get bogged down after lots of use.

People-A, AHCI mode won't affect your other drives, AHCI mode is like an open mode for SATA that will allow any SATA device to use it's full features.

Don't worry man, it's a good build, I'm excited for Black Ops, and the new cards coming out really soon. I wish that the AMD and NV cards would release at the same time, or a week apart. The 69xx cards are coming in December, GAH that's a long time to wait with a new NV card out there. Wish they would release numbers before the release of the cards!!!
Guy at Scan said the 580 had appeared on an incoming stock sheet but only had TBA and no price. He said that usually means it's really close. When it happened with the 68xxs , was only 2 and half weeks later till they were on their system fully.

If he is correct, hope he doesn't get fired for divulging info, was a very nice dude.

Old 11-05-10, 05:10 PM   #21
Drolfrawd

Send a message via MSN to Drolfrawd

excellent rig
Drolfrawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-10, 05:14 PM   #22
v3rninater
Blowin up since 1969

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peoples-Agent View Post
Guy at Scan said the 580 had appeared on an incoming stock sheet but only had TBA and no price. He said that usually means it's really close. When it happened with the 68xxs , was only 2 and half weeks later till they were on their system fully.

If he is correct, hope he doesn't get fired for divulging info, was a very nice dude.
Oh dude, blame china for the info devulging, lol, but anyhow, your rig will still be very, very good man. I'm excited for yee! Hopefully you got a nice large LCD that can run hi-res hi-speed for all that great hardware.
Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 3.4ghz 1600fsb || Gigabyte P45 EP45-UD3R stable as a rooock! || 4gb G-Skill DDR2 PC8500 5-5-5-15 || EVGA 580-GTX 1.5gb || Creative Fatal1ty Xram Sound Card 7.1 ||G-Skill Phoenix Pro SSD 120gb|| WD BLACK 32mb cache 640gb HD || 2x Samsung DVD burner 16x DVD+\- || Corsair 620watt PSU
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit (640gb hd)

AMD Phenom II X6 T1090 || Gigabyte GA880 || 4gb G-skill Ripjaw DDR3 1600 || MSI 8800 Ultra o/c || WD BLACK 32mb cache 640gb HD || ASUS DVD Burner || XFX 750 watt PSU

LG 60" 1080p 600Hz Plasma HDTV 60PS11
Xbox 360
v3rninater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-10, 05:37 PM   #23
Peoples-Agent
Vape Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by v3rninater View Post
Oh dude, blame china for the info devulging, lol, but anyhow, your rig will still be very, very good man. I'm excited for yee! Hopefully you got a nice large LCD that can run hi-res hi-speed for all that great hardware.
Thats next on the list. Got a 22" Viewsonic at 1080p atm but has a nice 2ms response to keep me going.

Any tips for the cooler install? Best to install mobo and do it with it in the case?
Old 11-05-10, 06:11 PM   #24
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Enjoy your new stuff dude

I am waiting to see what Nvidia and AMD have up their sleeves this month before buying my next card
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote