Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-11-10, 06:50 PM   #193
v3rninater
Blowin up since 1969

Default Re: Official Call of Duty Black Ops Feedback Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
I'm sorry, but game devs have become as stupid as their target audience, 'tard console gamers. The whole "pop it in and play" mentality has apprently breached their brains too..."poop it out and pay day"...

However, the maxrate was fixed last night across all servers and it was still pretty choppy / laggy / etc. The new patch today has fixed it for some people. Others claim it did nothing, however some people might have their .cfg's so jacked up they might just need to delete them and start fresh with the patch.
Yea I could see that happening, where people were so anxious to play they messed up their files, now with an actual official fix. People don't notice a change because they changed something to inhibit the official change.

I hope it gets better though, looks like they are actually concerned with PC a little bit, if they would of been from the get go, they could of banked so hard on this. What a mess consolizing crap can be!
Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 3.4ghz 1600fsb || Gigabyte P45 EP45-UD3R stable as a rooock! || 4gb G-Skill DDR2 PC8500 5-5-5-15 || EVGA 580-GTX 1.5gb || Creative Fatal1ty Xram Sound Card 7.1 ||G-Skill Phoenix Pro SSD 120gb|| WD BLACK 32mb cache 640gb HD || 2x Samsung DVD burner 16x DVD+\- || Corsair 620watt PSU
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit (640gb hd)

AMD Phenom II X6 T1090 || Gigabyte GA880 || 4gb G-skill Ripjaw DDR3 1600 || MSI 8800 Ultra o/c || WD BLACK 32mb cache 640gb HD || ASUS DVD Burner || XFX 750 watt PSU

LG 60" 1080p 600Hz Plasma HDTV 60PS11
Xbox 360
v3rninater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-10, 06:58 PM   #194
ViN86

There's really no excuse for these kind of mistakes. I mean I was playing games 10 years ago that knew how to properly set the rate and maxpacket (aka cmdrate) settings.

Also, wtf is up with this rapidly refreshing ping? It seems very wasteful to constantly ping the server. I know the packets are small, but with so many players, the bandwidth and cpu cost adds up. It seems pointless. The same thing could be achieved with on-demand pings or one ping every one or two seconds.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-10, 07:01 PM   #195
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
There's really no excuse for these kind of mistakes. I mean I was playing games 10 years ago that knew how to properly set the rate and maxpacket (aka cmdrate) settings.

Also, wtf is up with this rapidly refreshing ping? It seems very wasteful to constantly ping the server. I know the packets are small, but with so many players, the bandwidth and cpu cost adds up. It seems pointless. The same thing could be achieved with on-demand pings or one ping every one or two seconds.
yup. Also on launch day the score screen showed everyones k/d ratio, but they removed that since. I agree about the pings though, not really necessary to constantly update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-10, 07:17 PM   #196
Sean_W

I was going to buy this but put the money towards a GTS250 instead. My 9600GT was hurting with some newer games.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-10, 07:43 PM   #197
Albo

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1943497
Albo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-10, 09:16 PM   #198
LiquidX
xxxxxxx

If anyone is wondering why this does not look or run as good as MW2 its because Treyarch it seems had to build their own engine and go off of MW1 assets as the MW2 engine was not made available to them until the game was nearly completed according to a post over at BJord3D.
LiquidX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-10, 10:10 PM   #199
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

a second patch was released tonight for SP...also the community communication was updated...

Hey PC gamers:

We are listening to you and we’ve been busy working on updates based on feedback from the community. We have already deployed a number of updates, and there will be many more to come. Stay tuned right here for all the latest info.

LIVE FIXES

11/10

- GameServers.com has bumped sv_maxrate to 25000 across all servers to reduce lag.
- GameServers.com continues to improve official server distribution in various worldwide regions.

11/11
- Friends fix for join in progress and Friends tab in server browser.
- Performance improvement for dual and quad core.
- Improved connectivity with Black Ops Rcon tool.

IN PROGRESS

- GPU hitching on certain graphics cards.
- Incomplete server browser results.
- Improvements to Quickmatch joins (results with better ping and reduced lag).
- Zombies "The game session is no longer available" error.

Regards,
-JD

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-10, 02:52 AM   #200
KasuCode
Wiley

Send a message via AIM to KasuCode

Ive been having allot of fun with it. I bought a server for me and my friends to use. easy to spend hours playing this game daily.

Check Out
~CrossWater~
KasuCode is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-10, 03:35 AM   #201
K007

After the patch its a bit more playable.

Currently Theatre mode is completely dead unless you play private games. All ranked games are no longer recoreded. (You can still use /record /playdemo)

GPU Hitching...as they mention is still present, and probably the most game breaking annoyance in this game atm.

Other than that i am enjoying the game.

One thing to note is that This is using MW1 engine, which is why certain things feel...a bit more mw1-iish than mw2.
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-10, 05:12 AM   #202
nutcrackr
Super Registered User

Finished the single player, pretty impressed with it. Good story actually and some great direction toward the end. Some great music and couple of cool sequences. I got the impression they threw some missions in that outdid other games just because they could and no complaints they did a good job with them. Took me 5.5 hours to finish and it was pretty fast paced from start to finish.

Zombie mode seems much better than world at war too. Time to get into multiplayer assuming they can get rid of the stuttering stuff it will be a long term prospect for me.
Old 11-12-10, 06:43 AM   #203
K007

The reason behind stuttering

Quote:
I spent all day yesterday trying to identify the problem here, and it finally came down to Black Ops Live Stat Streaming.

How I Identified it:

My friend was having big lag issues, even though he has a monster of a PC (i7), far better than mine, but was barely pulling 40 fps. I told him my puny Phenom II X2 was getting an average of 80-100 fps. He was as perplexed as I was, until I suggested he bring his PC round to my house and use my connection (50 down, 30 up). Once he was setup on my connection, his PC did much better, with an average of 90+ fps. So, we concluded that it was the connection - he had a meagre 1 meg up at his home, but with the 30 up I have at mine, it managed much better. Why?

Well, from the moment you log into Black Ops it starts live streaming your stats. This is why even the menus lag - it is getting data to display about game events, such as bombs destroyed, wager contracts made and fulfilled, etc, etc. This data is sent every 2 game frames, both up and down. It is constant.

How I Solved the Problem:

I set to work building a program that runs Black Ops in a shell, and wanted to block the port used for the Live stats streaming. However, doing that kills the game dead, as it "thinks" the stats server is offline, and it wont let you play, displaying a "our stats are offline at the moment please try later" type message. So, I "spoofed" it into thinking it was sending and receiving (with a null byte data packet) and that cured the lag. However, it meant no levelling up etc.

What I did next was cache the game data to the side in a holding sub program, and held it for 4 seconds (had to play around with the timing to find the sweet spot), then transmitted it. Bingo! We have a winner. Started pulling better than 125 fps.

All this informed me that this was the reason some people are getting lag, while others aren't getting it nearly as bad, and it all had to do with their up speeds - if you have a good up speed, the lag isn't nearly so bad.

What I did with these Findings:

I sent all this info over to Treyarch, and was pleased to hear they had been working on something similar. I was concerned I may have incurred a VAC ban because of the game shell, so they said they would speak to Valve for me.
http://www.fpsadmin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21513

This is why its so bad for australia, since our upstream is terrible
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-10, 07:48 AM   #204
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by K007 View Post
After the patch its a bit more playable.

Currently Theatre mode is completely dead unless you play private games. All ranked games are no longer recoreded. (You can still use /record /playdemo)

GPU Hitching...as they mention is still present, and probably the most game breaking annoyance in this game atm.

Other than that i am enjoying the game.

One thing to note is that This is using MW1 engine, which is why certain things feel...a bit more mw1-iish than mw2.
I was going to say that yesterday after I got done playing. Without the hiccups, the game felt a lot more like MW1 as opposed to MW2 (which is what I expected). I think this is a good thing.

EDIT: second patch last night says it fixed the GPU hiccups

Quote:
Originally Posted by K007 View Post
The reason behind stuttering

http://www.fpsadmin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21513

This is why its so bad for australia, since our upstream is terrible
That's awesome. Nice of Treyarch to make sure he doesn't get the VAC ban too heh.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote