Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-30-10, 08:23 AM   #1
firew4lker
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 13
Default New Xorg 1.9 and nvidia-173.xx support.

New Xorg, same issue as before.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=150574

Any hints?
firew4lker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-10, 09:36 AM   #2
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation
 
AaronP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,487
Default Re: New Xorg 1.9 and nvidia-173.xx support.

Changes to support xserver 1.9 in the 173.14.* series of releases is going through testing now, hopefully to be released soon.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-10, 11:49 AM   #3
luk1don
Registered User
 
luk1don's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 55
Default Re: New Xorg 1.9 and nvidia-173.xx support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
Changes to support xserver 1.9 in the 173.14.* series of releases is going through testing now, hopefully to be released soon.
Aaron@
Please don't forget about 96.43.* series
luk1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-10, 01:11 PM   #4
firew4lker
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 13
Default Re: New Xorg 1.9 and nvidia-173.xx support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
Changes to support xserver 1.9 in the 173.14.* series of releases is going through testing now, hopefully to be released soon.
Thanks you!
firew4lker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-10, 09:22 PM   #5
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation
 
AaronP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,487
Default Re: New Xorg 1.9 and nvidia-173.xx support.

173.14.28 is out. Please give it a try.

@luk1don: I haven't forgotten about 96.43.*, I just haven't had much time to work on it lately. I'm hoping to get started on xserver 1.8 support soon, and xserver 1.9 support shortly thereafter.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-10, 11:37 AM   #6
zekica
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 4
Default Re: New Xorg 1.9 and nvidia-173.xx support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
I haven't forgotten about 96.43.*, I just haven't had much time to work on it lately. I'm hoping to get started on xserver 1.8 support soon, and xserver 1.9 support shortly thereafter.
Can you provide us with some approximate time when the 96.43.* drivers with xserver 1.9 support will be released?
zekica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-10, 07:00 AM   #7
TheGlade
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1
Default Re: New Xorg 1.9 and nvidia-173.xx support.

Hi,

is there any ETA for the updated 96.43.* drivers?
I just upgraded to Ubuntu 10.10 and now X won't work anymore.

I guess more people will be impacted soon.
TheGlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-10, 08:30 PM   #8
AJenbo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3
Default Re: New Xorg 1.9 and nvidia-173.xx support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
@luk1don: I haven't forgotten about 96.43.*, I just haven't had much time to work on it lately. I'm hoping to get started on xserver 1.8 support soon, and xserver 1.9 support shortly thereafter.
Thank you for douing this. I support a company where about half the systems use Gf4mx cards, so realy need this driver.
AJenbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-10, 04:28 AM   #9
sveterv2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5
Default Re: New Xorg 1.9 and nvidia-173.xx support.

Wouldn't it be easier and CHEAPER for NVIDIA corporation to open source their drivers for OLD hardware? Maybe somebody should talk to his manager and suggest this? This way programmers could concentrate on software for newer hardware that makes INCOME for NVIDIA, and older one could still be used without any problems on Linux and other platforms by those who owns it.

it's just my opinion. Thank You
sveterv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-10, 11:32 AM   #10
luk1don
Registered User
 
luk1don's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 55
Default Re: New Xorg 1.9 and nvidia-173.xx support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sveterv2 View Post
Wouldn't it be easier and CHEAPER for NVIDIA corporation to open source their drivers for OLD hardware? Maybe somebody should talk to his manager and suggest this? This way programmers could concentrate on software for newer hardware that makes INCOME for NVIDIA, and older one could still be used without any problems on Linux and other platforms by those who owns it.

it's just my opinion. Thank You
The question is: why restricted drivers from NVIDIA must be unsupported after new X.Org xserver releases every time... (I know, stupid question)

There are Nouveau Gallium 3D open source drivers (but not very good)... NVIDIA should help nouveau programmers to develop their open drivers (if NVIDIA wants to stop support for e.g. 71 series)
luk1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-10, 05:39 AM   #11
Gusar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 277
Default Re: New Xorg 1.9 and nvidia-173.xx support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sveterv2 View Post
Wouldn't it be easier and CHEAPER for NVIDIA corporation to open source their drivers for OLD hardware?
Opensourcing the drivers is probably impossible. Documentation for the old chips is more likely, but that would require gathering and sanitizing internal docs and legal review. A lengthy process that has to be paid for too. So I'm not sure it would be cheaper.
Gusar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-10, 11:37 PM   #12
derzerb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1
Default Re: New Xorg 1.9 and nvidia-173.xx support.

I sit here on my nvidia Corporation NVCrush11 [Geforce2 MX Intergrated] Asus motherboard also cheering with the crowd for 96.43* xorg 1.9 compatible drivers.

Would also like to thank Nvidia for keeping us updated with these issues, means a lot.
derzerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.