Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-14-10, 10:39 PM   #13
Albo

Default Re: It's ALIVE! (Budget gaming build!)

Unlock the 4th core and the L3 cache, for ****s and giggles.

Do it.
Albo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-10, 11:22 PM   #14
PeterJensen

DO IT, DO IT NOAW!

Albo, i want your dancing cat. Its hot!
Old 11-15-10, 09:39 AM   #15
Yaboze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albo View Post
If that's towards me, I already have a DVD drive. And it works fine.
Ah, ok Albo.

I guess I took it the wrong way as a few people I know are building without optical drives now. It seems to be a new trend, Netbooks, iPads (tablets) and the Macbook Air for example. I guess they figure everything is in the cloud, streaming or digital (Steam, iTunes, Netflix, etc).

Anyway, nice rig.

Yaboze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-10, 04:56 PM   #16
Intel17
Is not an Intel fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albo View Post
How would this system run with a game like gta iv? Intel, mind running that, if you have it please? Thanks.
I have GTA IV. When I go back home for Thanksgiving break (I have a TON of exams to study for after I make this post), I will run a comprehensive set of benchmarks on this machine, as well as post overclocking results. (My friend wants me to fine tune it and set up all of his programs, so that's my thanksgiving break activity!)

I'll run the following benchmarks (either with canned benchies or a FRAPS run:

Crysis Warhead
Batman Arkham Asylum
Mafia II
GTA IV
DOOM 3
CoD: Black Ops
Call of Juarez

And I'll compare them to my setup with 1 GTX 470 enabled and 2 GTX 470s enabled to give an idea of price/performance at different resolutions/settings. So we'll see how a $640 build does against a $1700 build, and if it's really worth the premium!

If this is something you'd all be interested in reading, I could write it up real nicely for nVnews as an article or something.
Intel Core i7 980X Extreme Edition @ 4.00GHz, 2.94GHz uncore| Corsair H60 | ASUS P6X58D-E | Zotac GTX 580 @ 872/1744/2145|Western Digital Caviar Black 1.5TB (Games/Steam)| Seagate 1.5TB (media/misc.) |Seagate 1 TB (OS/Main) | 24 GB G.Skill RipJaws X 1.5V DDR3-1333 | Creative X-Fi Titanium | Sennheiser HD 202 Headset | Dual Gigabit Realtek LAN | Antec True Power Quattro 1200W | Acer G235Hbmbd 23" LCD Display | Logitech K320 Wireless Keyboard | Logitech Performance MX Mouse
Intel17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-10, 05:14 PM   #17
Albo

YES.

Also, unlock the 4th core, that mobo supports it, and its VERY easy, just set the AAC in the bios to auto and that's it, the CPU could show up as a Phenom II x4 B45.

Don't actually follow that guide, but that's basically it from a couple of sources, here I'll find you a guide
Quote:
The Unlocking Process
In terms of unlocking your “defective” cores, the process is actually very simple.

1. Enter BIOS.
2. Set Automatic Clock Calibration (ACC) or Nvidia Core Calibration (NCC) to AUTO.
CRUCIAL step for Asus and Gigabyte owners : Enable "Unleashing" or change "EC Firmware" mode to "Hybrid"
3. Reboot.
http://www.overclock.net/amd-cpus/53...ore-cache.html

If you're not comfortable for any reason, I understand, thanks again. Also, do the benchmarks.
Albo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-10, 05:47 PM   #18
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

I've said it many times. You dont need a $2000 PC to have a decent gaming experience and if you are comparing it to a 360... a low end PC will still give you better visuals. Console gamers over-rate the graphics on the 360... its low res, blurry... just awful next to the PC. Games will always look better on the PC. Most ports on their lowest settings (pc) match my 360s graphics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-10, 07:36 PM   #19
LydianKnight
Registered Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
I've said it many times. You dont need a $2000 PC to have a decent gaming experience and if you are comparing it to a 360... a low end PC will still give you better visuals. Console gamers over-rate the graphics on the 360... its low res, blurry... just awful next to the PC. Games will always look better on the PC. Most ports on their lowest settings (pc) match my 360s graphics.
This.

The only real point where the PC will ALWAYS lose to a console (whatever the system is) is price. No matter how good or how bad the PC is, it will always be more expensive than a console is, so if you're looking for some decent gaming without throwing off your wallet... a console is a better investment (better as in... faster and easier, you don't have to install an OS, software, etc., toss in a disc and you're good to go).

BUT any person striving for visuals quality... the PC is the answer.
LydianKnight is offline   Reply With Quote