Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-14-10, 12:59 PM   #1
grey_1

Arrow UK retailers want to ban Steam games??

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=157084

From the news thread.

While I do think games should not be 100% tied to a specific digital download platform, this may be a bit drastic as more and more games seem to be tying themselves to the service.

What have you members from the UK heard about this?
Old 11-14-10, 01:19 PM   #2
JasonPC

Default Re: UK retailers want to ban Steam games??

Hey if you can't beat 'em, bring out the lawyers.
JasonPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-10, 01:31 PM   #3
Sean_W

It's a bit annoying really, since Steam is the middle man that doesn't need to be in the middle. It's got good and bad points to it.

Good:

You can download your game from Steam if you lose your retail copy.

You don't need the CD/DVD in the drive to play.

Bad:

It's a middle man service like GFWL, where you need an account to get the best out of the game.

It can indeed monopolise how people buy PC games.

In the end, retailers don't stock much in the line of PC games anyway, since they blamed piracy and console games are the main sellers in their stores, not PC.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-10, 02:57 PM   #4
Peoples-Agent
Vape Therapist

They want the box product in the stores again, but aren't willing to commit shelf space without a head start.

I guess they also get sick of people coming into the shop with Steam related issues that are totally out of their control.

Personally, i'd sooner walk into a store and see shelves upon shelves of stacked PC games... new and old, just how it use to be. We got a one small lousy PC section in just about every store nowadays.

This is why retailers have issues with it, I guess.
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.
Peoples-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-10, 03:25 PM   #5
K007

Default Steam Killing PC Market - Retailers to Ban Steam Integrated Games

http://games.on.net/article/10744/St...tegrated_Games

Quote:
Yes you read that headline correct. Major retailers, both physical and also online, have come on record and voiced concern that Valve's digital download service Steam is killing the PC market and they won't stand for it, threatening not to sell titles if publishers do not remove Steam integration from their games.
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-10, 03:42 PM   #6
AthlonXP1800

No it is not all about high street retailers so it all about digital retailers. GAME also sell download games but people prefer buy it on steam because it has huge library of games available to buy and download which GAME cant compete.

Take Call of Duty: Black Ops PC for example, GAME sell both retail and digital download for 34.99 but struggle to compete 5 cheaper than Steam overpriced 39.99. I can find cheapest Call of Duty: Black Ops PC DVD retail for 29.99 with free delivery.

What I dont understand why is Steam charge more on PC games than high street retailers and digital retailers?
Intel Core i7 3770K, Corsair H80 liquid cooler with Noctua S12-1200 fan, ASUS P8Z77V with UEFI 2104, 16GB Samsung Green 30nm DDR3-RAM, Pioneer BDR-S09XLT 16x Blu-ray writer, Corsair AX850 PSU, Western Digital 2TB SATA3 hard drive, CanonScan LiDE 210 scanner, Microsoft Internet Keyboard, Microsoft Touch Explorer mouse, 32inch Sharp LC32LE600 LED TV, EVGA Geforce GTX 670 SC 4GB with Geforce 370.50 driver, 50Mb broadband Virgin Media VMDG480 Super Hub, Aspire Xplorer Midi Tower, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit.
AthlonXP1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-10, 03:44 PM   #7
Redeemed

Before steam retailers didn't a lot much space to PC Gaming, there was a small section dominated by several large console sections. And then they complain when they see Steam doing so well?

I think they're only griping cause they figured PC gaming was either dying or becoming a niche market. After seeing the sucess steam is having they're probably a bit jealous. Should have thought of that before you catered primarily to consoles, idiots.

Go steam. I'd like them to have some competition just to keep them on their toes, but I have no sympathy for the retailers. Hind-sight is 20/20 and they can now see what dumb asses they were. Their loss, Valve's gain.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-10, 04:36 PM   #8
JohnDio

Let's ban all PC games instead. Then every retailer will be happy
JohnDio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-10, 05:28 PM   #9
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Default Re: Steam Killing PC Market - Retailers to Ban Steam Integrated Games

Would be dumb. I ONLY buy my PC games through Steam, so **** those guys.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-10, 07:52 PM   #10
Viral
Registered User of Women

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Before steam retailers didn't a lot much space to PC Gaming, there was a small section dominated by several large console sections. And then they complain when they see Steam doing so well?

I think they're only griping cause they figured PC gaming was either dying or becoming a niche market. After seeing the sucess steam is having they're probably a bit jealous. Should have thought of that before you catered primarily to consoles, idiots.

Go steam. I'd like them to have some competition just to keep them on their toes, but I have no sympathy for the retailers. Hind-sight is 20/20 and they can now see what dumb asses they were. Their loss, Valve's gain.
+1

Game retailers are going down the road of Blockbuster. Digital distribution will take over, deal with it.

Acer TravelMate 4002WNLCi: Pentium M 725 @ 1.6GHz | Mobility Radeon 9700/64MB | 2GB DDR400 | 15.4" WXGA
Viral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-10, 10:13 AM   #11
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral View Post
+1

Game retailers are going down the road of Blockbuster. Digital distribution will take over, deal with it.
Most everything I play is through Steam anyway. Like I said earlier, I'm not crazy about being forced to use it, but if it has to be tied to a digital platform, then Steam is what I'll choose every time.
Old 11-15-10, 11:02 AM   #12
Bearclaw

I haven't bought a physical copy of a game in at least 4 years, and I never will. They don't distribute them online, I won't buy it.