Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-15-10, 10:04 AM   #13
Redeemed

Default Re: UK retailers want to ban Steam games??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearclaw View Post
I haven't bought a physical copy of a game in at least 4 years, and I never will. They don't distribute them online, I won't buy it.
srs Bearclaw iz, srs.

Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-10, 10:17 AM   #14
Smee

Anyone who owns a smaller retail brick and mortar shop (save maybe a convenience store) Needs to realize their days are numbered.
Smee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-10, 10:34 AM   #15
Bearclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
srs Bearclaw iz, srs.

I just don't want the hassle of driving out to a store, and getting the stupid ****ing box copy. I don't NEED to play games but I do because they make it convenient. Take out the convenience factor and I would just drop the hobby.
Old 11-15-10, 10:57 AM   #16
Yaboze

Exactly. Any PC gamer that goes into a Gamestop or similar store will have to look hard for the PC section, which in most cases near where I live, is a small rack in the rear of the store that has the Sims 3, WoW Warchest, Starcraft 2, Spore and some other titles. They aren't even on the wall anymore. This has been happening for years now, so PC gamers have gone elsewhere: online.

The no CD/DVD check, streamlined service and management of files and patches through Steam is a no-brainer. Any PC gamer these days worth his salt uses Steam for his primary game management.
Yaboze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-10, 11:07 AM   #17
ViN86

Every PC gaming section I've seen in the past 2 years has been one shelf with games from 2 years ago still priced at $50. It's a disgrace.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-10, 11:42 AM   #18
Bearclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaboze View Post
Exactly. Any PC gamer that goes into a Gamestop or similar store will have to look hard for the PC section, which in most cases near where I live, is a small rack in the rear of the store that has the Sims 3, WoW Warchest, Starcraft 2, Spore and some other titles. They aren't even on the wall anymore. This has been happening for years now, so PC gamers have gone elsewhere: online.

The no CD/DVD check, streamlined service and management of files and patches through Steam is a no-brainer. Any PC gamer these days worth his salt uses Steam for his primary game management.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
Every PC gaming section I've seen in the past 2 years has been one shelf with games from 2 years ago still priced at $50. It's a disgrace.
This and this.
Old 11-15-10, 12:00 PM   #19
Sean_W

Quote:
Well, my local Tesco have two shelves full of PC games and the latest ones as well. They're cheaper than Steam too. Picked Crysis up for £6, yet on Steam it's £16.99.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-10, 12:06 PM   #20
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
Well, my local Tesco have two shelves full of PC games and the latest ones as well. They're cheaper than Steam too. Picked Crysis up for £6, yet on Steam it's £16.99.
It's hit or miss in my area. What kills me the most is seeing 2-3 year old games (or older) still selling for full retail, but getting a game off the shelf on release day is next to impossible.

Old 11-15-10, 12:22 PM   #21
Bearclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
It's hit or miss in my area. What kills me the most is seeing 2-3 year old games (or older) still selling for full retail, but getting a game off the shelf on release day is next to impossible.
It's all miss for me. Hit or miss for you. Both of us live in fairly big cities.

It seems EVERY retailer has the SAME EXACT selection of games. They are all old also. NOTHING new gets into stores for PC. They did it to themselves and now they are complaining about it. Hmph.
Old 11-15-10, 01:07 PM   #22
LydianKnight
Registered Knight

Quote:
This.

People just don't want to realize the future of entertainment media is digital distribution.

Does it have its own dose of problems? Of course! Like everything in our world, but it's better than having to take a drive to find a tier 1 game (like I had to do in the past to help my brother find a zelda game on the Gamecube at the time) or find precisely that... a miserable rack full of titles 3 years old (at best).

I can't, however, talk about overpricing because we're 'accepting' paying $50/50€+ for what it's usually called a 'Tier 1' game which, after playing, you really wish you could have spent that money in a kerosene can and a box of matches just to set the developer/publisher building on fire (with them inside)
LydianKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-10, 01:21 PM   #23
Bearclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by LydianKnight View Post
This.

People just don't want to realize the future of entertainment media is digital distribution.

Does it have its own dose of problems? Of course! Like everything in our world, but it's better than having to take a drive to find a tier 1 game (like I had to do in the past to help my brother find a zelda game on the Gamecube at the time) or find precisely that... a miserable rack full of titles 3 years old (at best).

I can't, however, talk about overpricing because we're 'accepting' paying $50/50€+ for what it's usually called a 'Tier 1' game which, after playing, you really wish you could have spent that money in a kerosene can and a box of matches just to set the developer/publisher building on fire (with them inside)
Ya, I always wait for prices to come down. Games aren't worth 50-60-70 bucks. Ridiculous.
Old 11-15-10, 01:39 PM   #24
Sean_W

Yeah but Steam is a ripoff for the most part. They do some good deals sometimes but their retail prices are inflated.

I suppose it depend where you are but I have a Tesco store near me and I prefer to buy from there because they are cheaper.

Black Ops:
Steam £39.99
Tesco Store £34.99

Fallout New Vegas:
Steam £29.99
Tesco Store £24.70

Battlefield BC2:
Steam £19.99
Tesco Store £15

MOH:
Steam £29.99
Tesco Store £27.70