Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-15-10, 01:47 PM   #25
grey_1

Default Re: UK retailers want to ban Steam games??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearclaw View Post
It's all miss for me. Hit or miss for you. Both of us live in fairly big cities.

It seems EVERY retailer has the SAME EXACT selection of games. They are all old also. NOTHING new gets into stores for PC. They did it to themselves and now they are complaining about it. Hmph.
Exactly - heh, the more I think about this the more I'm leaning towards supporting nothing but digital.
Old 11-15-10, 02:04 PM   #26
t3hl33td4rg0n
Dethklok Returns!

Send a message via AIM to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via MSN to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via Yahoo to t3hl33td4rg0n

Quote:
This and this.
+1 what you quoted.

Intel QX9650 @ 3.83GHzXFX 780ieVGA GTX 560Ti8GB GSkill DDR800Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium PCI-ESeagate 1.5TB . 4x Samsung 2TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTin View Post
....it's so clear how government makes things worse not better...
t3hl33td4rg0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-10, 02:05 PM   #27
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
Every PC gaming section I've seen in the past 2 years has been one shelf with games from 2 years ago still priced at $50. It's a disgrace.
Frys, Microcenter has large PC sections.

back to the topic, I have to say I preffer one or two digital download services, then 100s of different services. Steam comes on top, and since they can't compete, other retailers now try to ban it.

I simply can't imagine using multiple download services, wait where did this game come from, did i get it from gamestop? or d2d? or some other weird place. with steam I got everything in one place.
Old 11-15-10, 02:28 PM   #28
Bearclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
Yeah but Steam is a ripoff for the most part. They do some good deals sometimes but their retail prices are inflated.

I suppose it depend where you are but I have a Tesco store near me and I prefer to buy from there because they are cheaper.

Black Ops:
Steam £39.99
Tesco Store £34.99

Fallout New Vegas:
Steam £29.99
Tesco Store £24.70

Battlefield BC2:
Steam £19.99
Tesco Store £15

MOH:
Steam £29.99
Tesco Store £27.70

Mafia 2:
Steam £29.99
Tesco Store £27.70

Left4Dead 2:
Steam £14.99
Tesco Store £12

Bioshock 2:
Steam £19.99
Tesco Store £10

Risen:
Steam £19.99(£9.99 sale)
Tesco Store £13

Crysis:
Steam £16.99
Tesco Store £6
It's a UK thing. I haven't seen ANY game where prices are different. Steam is always lower, and their sales kick ass. Plus, a few games you mentioned have a mere 2 £ difference. That's nothing. Even the ones up to 5 bucks. Not a big deal at all. Like nekro says below - The ability to know where to find all your games and not buy from X retailers + X digital download stores rocks. Steam FTW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
Frys, Microcenter has large PC sections.

back to the topic, I have to say I preffer one or two digital download services, then 100s of different services. Steam comes on top, and since they can't compete, other retailers now try to ban it.

I simply can't imagine using multiple download services, wait where did this game come from, did i get it from gamestop? or d2d? or some other weird place. with steam I got everything in one place.
+1
Old 11-15-10, 02:54 PM   #29
Sean_W

Quote:
It's a UK thing. I haven't seen ANY game where prices are different. Steam is always lower, and their sales kick ass. Plus, a few games you mentioned have a mere 2 £ difference. That's nothing. Even the ones up to 5 bucks. Not a big deal at all. Like nekro says below - The ability to know where to find all your games and not buy from X retailers + X digital download stores rocks. Steam FTW.
Well no because it's boxed, Steam is digital with no overhead in that regard so it's a big deal all right.

It shouldn't be right that the boxed version is cheaper than Steam, end of story. Steam is a ripoff in the UK then.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-10, 02:56 PM   #30
Bearclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
Well no because it's boxed, Steam is digital with no overhead in that regard so it's a big deal all right.

It shouldn't be right that the boxed version is cheaper than Steam, end of story.
Valid point. However, I still, if ever, see very few games that cost more in brick and mortar stores versus steam. And like I said, Steam is always having sales.
Old 11-15-10, 03:08 PM   #31
FastRedPonyCar
Resident Tire Destroyer

Send a message via AIM to FastRedPonyCar

Quote:
This and this.
And this
4770k @ 4.45 ghz - ASUS Gryphon Mobo - 16 gigs Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 RAM - XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 H2o Cooling - EVGA GTX 680 @1325mhz - 128 gig Crucial RealSSD C300 - 150 gig Velociraptor +2.75 Terrabytes of WD Sata 3.0 storage - 910 watt PC P&C PSU - Corsair Obsidian 650D case

- Server -
Core I7 D0 revision 920 @ 3.75 ghz - ASUS P6T Deluxe - 12 Gigs Mushkin DDR3 1600 - Corsair HX 620 PSU - Noctua NH-U9B cooler - Coolermaster WaveMaster Case

- Laptop -
MSI 16F2-012
- i7 2630QM - GTX570m @ 750Mhz - 8 gigs HyperX 1866 - 120 gig OCZ Vertex 3 SSD- 750 gig Scorpio Black - BluRay - 95% Gamut Screen - IC Diamond goop
FastRedPonyCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-10, 03:12 PM   #32
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

its not a valid point, steam has a huge overhead.

1) the staff, support, programers (steam, steamworks etc..), server maintance
2) servers, a lot of servers around the world
3) bandwith, also not free

Old 11-15-10, 03:24 PM   #33
Sean_W

Nothing compared to the cost of a retail store, boxes, manuals disks, artwork. The whole idea for digitial download is to cut overheads, since that's why people like GAME actually sell their games cheaper online.

GAME has cheap prices online than the retail store, which both of them are cheaper than Steam.
Old 11-15-10, 03:31 PM   #34
Yaboze

The idea of the owning the game box and manuals or in another example, the Compact Disc is something that took me a while to get over. I came from the Records and Tapes days, lol. Having an album in your hands was something.

These days, I look at my shelf or a box in the closet filled with game boxes and say "What a waste of space...". Half the games won't run without tons of patches anyway, so I'll need to hunt those down and download them. DD is the way to go.

I prefer DD for music and games now and if it's not on Steam, then I won't get it. They do have some good deals at times as well. I picked up Borderlands and Bioshock 2 for cheap, among others.

I'm not sure who has more overhead. A retail store with limited floor space, rent, employees to pay for, boxes, DVD and manual preparation OR Steam's store, servers to hold the download, the Steam account system management and the people who run it and bandwidth. Steam is more green and uses less natural resources I guess. It's hard to say, I don't know the costs of running either.

Yaboze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-10, 04:01 PM   #35
LydianKnight
Registered Knight

If we were to look at a price point of view, Steam or any digital distribution service wins automatically...

Let's try to imagine for a moment how Steam runs from a server perspective (ok, it's a bit naive, but I'm sure you'll catch my drift...), no graphics card (integrated), some memory, hard drives, etc... even if the electrical consumption was something like... 20-25kW per 'node'?

Now try to imagine the power consumption a typical rental place, between all the fluorescent bulbs, plus their computers, etc, etc, but just with the lighting, I think any DD service wins, plus you would have one or two nodes per country? (Spain and Portugal are included in the same category, so we can assume one, maximum two) VS how many rental places can a whole country have (with all the added power consumption and resource consumption, etc.)?

<unrealvoice>
M-M-M-M-M-Mega-WIN!
</unrealvoice>
LydianKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-10, 04:07 PM   #36
Sean_W

Yeah, Steam is more echo friendly, lower overheads and costs yet you pay more or equal than a big retail outlet that have much more costs, that's my point.

It's like any company in the end, more money for them, less value for you, since they don't pass on the costs as much as you think.